Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Is Voyager really a small ship?

The Intrepid class is 343.1 meters long and 66.2 meters high, however the Nova class is 34 meters high by 140 meters long. Voyager is small, but yes, the Nova class is smaller.

Edited by Tench745

I'm just cutting in :lol:

Voyager is small & theres nothing wrong with the scales, i once found a site with extraordinary scale measurements & its all perfectly well about their deck & stuff, i think. I don't have them with me at college at the moment to check it out personally & i forgot the site where i got it, so i can't say where, B)

Constitution - 75m height

Excelcior - 100m height

Intrepid - 66m height

Decks:

seems to be fine to me. Not every mm has to have something. There could be a bunch of empty space between a couple of m.

;)

I'm just cutting in  B)

Voyager is small & theres nothing wrong with the scales, i once found a site with extraordinary scale measurements & its all perfectly well about their deck & stuff, i think. I don't have them with me at college at the moment to check it out personally & i forgot the site where i got it, so i can't say where,  ;)

Constitution - 75m height

Excelcior - 100m height

Intrepid - 66m height

Decks:

seems to be fine to me. Not every mm has to have something. There could be a bunch of empty space between a couple of m.

:grin:

The Master Systems Display at the back of both the Excelsior and Enterprise-B bridge show 35 decks, not 28. Even if Excelsior was 28 decks, why do the ship charts show both ships as being roughly the same size? :lol:

Ah like i said, not every mm has something.

As we see the height as 100m for example & u said the B has 35 decks, while other Excelciors too have different numbers in various times.

This shows that the designs varied. But more importantly, the ship is build at 100m, doesn't mean all are covered with decks. There could be still space for extra decks when the 28 deck excelcior was cuild, so later when the Ent-B came they can add more decks at anytime. B)

Even the sovereign got extra space or so. Recall someone mentioned where on that ship did the Viceroi fell when they are already at the bottom deck. The thing is, being at the bottom deck doesn't mean its touching the bottom hull. There's still space for stuff or to fall into, ;)

:lol:

If you feel these ships were in TNG "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II", then please, let's go start a thread about it in the TNG forum as I'd like to see what you think. :lol:

(Not barging into the discussion ;) : They were; I have pics. However, I don't have the site addy w/ me and wont be able to get it til this wknd. I'll start the topic then B) )

Ah like i said, not every mm has something.

As we see the height as 100m for example & u said the B has 35 decks, while other Excelciors too have different numbers in various times.

This shows that the designs varied. But more importantly, the ship is build at 100m, doesn't mean all are covered with decks. There could be still space for extra decks when the 28 deck excelcior was cuild, so later when the Ent-B came they can add more decks at anytime.  :wow:

Even the sovereign got extra space or so. Recall someone mentioned where on that ship did the Viceroi fell when they are already at the bottom deck. The thing is, being at the bottom deck doesn't mean its touching the bottom hull. There's still space for stuff or to fall into,  :lol:

:lol:

Actually, all Excelsior-class ships are 35-decks thick, so your argument doesn't hold up. The Enterprise-B was one of the first Excelsior-class ships, they're the same size.

As for the Enterprise-E, deck 24 is at the very bottom of the ship. So, how did they get a Reman boarding party on deck 29? :lol:

Not all Excelciors are the same, the older one could have different deck number. I got the source from a site, where he got at least 3 specs of Excelcior, & some got different deck count.

The Ent-E got a some changes made, hull bit different, a couple of extra decks, etc.

Different Specs aren't that odd, they change as they grow. For the better mostly. :lol:

I was reading in the Next Generation Technical Manual that the living space inside the Enterprise D is suspended inside the outer hull, with empty space all around. My guess is that this could be used for expanding decks, however I know it helps with absorbing the forces exerted on the ship so the crew isn't hurt as mutch.

Not all Excelciors are the same, the older one could have different deck number. I got the source from a site, where he got at least 3 specs of Excelcior, & some got different deck count.

The Ent-E got a some changes made, hull bit different, a couple of extra decks, etc.

Different Specs aren't that odd, they change as they grow. For the better mostly. B)

I paused NEMESIS while on a close-up of the Master Systems Display and counted 24 decks. Deck 24 is at the very bottom. "Deck 29" is simply a blooper, the line should have been Deck 19. B)

As for ships being various sizes within a class, what is this information based on? :rolleyes: I've compared the Excelsior and the Entreprise-B. Taking into account the window size and possitions, the ships are the exact same size, with the exception of the Enterprise-B's additions. Thus, if the Enterprise-B is 35-decks, then the Excelsior is 35 decks. Also, it's easy to say that they can "add more decks", but how would they do so? They'd have to make the entire ship larger. It would take far less time to just build a new ship. Also, a 28-deck-thick Excelsior-class ship would be a lot smaller than a 35-deck-thick Excelsior-class ship, so how could they be of the same class? You can't just "add decks", and if you did, the only change would be a buldge on the top of bottom of the ship.

:rolleyes:

all i want to say is, about the Nemesis part.

BLOOPER. B)

anyway what specs? made up ones by fans or 100% from the official people?

Actually, even in modern shipbuilding, not each ship of a class is identicle. the USS Wisconsin, third ship in the Iowa class, for example is larger than the other ships (partially because of a run-in with a destroyer, litterally) also, some ships within a class may have a different configuration. look at American guided missile cruisers. the first few ships of the Ticonderoga class cruisers. they have one form of missile launcher, while later versions have another. so, tieing it back into Star Trek, Let's say the Excelsior is 435 meters long, and 35 decks thick. the Enterprise B may be 480 meters long and 35 decks thick, but the Enterprise B is also newer and more advanced, and might have some new systems that require more room.

Actually, even in modern shipbuilding, not each ship of a class is identicle. the USS Wisconsin, third ship in the Iowa class, for example is larger than the other ships (partially because of a run-in with a destroyer, litterally) also, some ships within a class may have a different configuration. look at American guided missile cruisers. the first few ships of the Ticonderoga class cruisers. they have one form of missile launcher, while later versions have another. so, tieing it back into Star Trek, Let's say the Excelsior is 435 meters long, and 35 decks thick. the Enterprise B may be 480 meters long and 35 decks thick, but the Enterprise B is also newer and more advanced, and might have some new systems that require more room.

I totally agree, not all ships are identical, but in Star Trek's Starfleet, ships of the same class are allways the same size, but not neccessarilly identical. :rolleyes:

on a ship that big, even with a crew that small, it is easy to disapear for a while

I had a post that seems to have been lost. What I had said was that from our perspective, Voyager is a massive space ship, but from the crew's perspective and comparrison to other Starfleet ships's of the time, she's a small starship. It's a matter of perspective.

Cap, I was merely commenting that the ship probably has...oh several MILLION square feet of deck space, and only 150 or so people there, it would be something akin to playing hide and seek with 150 of your closest friends in an empty Sears Tower.

Well especially since the camera is mostly focusing on certain people, its very hard to get shots of the sisters since those people focused on rarely meet them at the moment

:cloud9:

RE: Wolf 359 ships - canon

CJLP,

Sorry it took me so long to post this, but I kept forgetting to get the web addy.

Here's the link to the article explaining all the ships at Wolf 359, including links to pictures of the actual models of these vessels built for and used in the episode.

Wolf359

I thought there wasn't much point in starting a new topic for this, so you can reply here or pm me. Anyone else who is interested, feel free to check it out. It's an interesting bit of info and the pics are pretty cool. :waaaa:

Edited by Ace

Voyager is indeed a slightly smaller ship half the Size of Enterprise-D and E

but is However more Maneuverable in that aspect of it not to mention more

streamlined when it came into Service! :clap: :wub: :laugh: :blink:

A shame the only time these ships are scene are as part of a "fleet grave yard", and they're hard to make out as well.

What, no "sorry, I was mistaken" ? :wub:

True, that was a shame, though I'm glad we didn't have to see the Freedom or Niagara classes again. :laugh:

Freedom & Niagara studio models:

Click for Spoiler:

niagara-freedom.jpg

Greg Jein holding Niagara studio model:

Click for Spoiler:

princeton-model.jpg

OK, sorry 'bout the detour. Everyone can return to the main topic now. :clap: