Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Yesterday's Enterprise - Alternate Timeline

I was just thinking... the TNG-onward timeline we all know is actually an alternate timeline created by the Enteprise-D! :waaaa:

2344: Enterprise-C defends Narrendra III, a Klingon outpost, while under attack from 4 Romulan Warbirds. Volley of photon torpedoes tears open a temporal rift. The Klingons think the Enterprise-C is retreating when she's pulled in.

2366: After 20 years of war, the warship Enterprise-D discovers a temporal rift in which the Enterprise-C emerges from. See "Yesterday's Enterprise" for more information on the events. Guinnan convinces Picard to send the Enterprise-C back, along with Natasha Yar after she requests to go with them due to Guinnan telling her that she died a senseless death in the proper timeline.

2344: Enterprise-C returns.

2346: Natasha Yar gives birth to Sela.

2349: Natasha Uar attempts to escape, is given away by Sela, and is killed.

2364: TNG begins.

2366: "Yesterday's Enterprise"

2367/68: "Redemption"

2368: "Unification"

So, in a way, Picard sending the Enterprise-C back in time is what lead to us having the familiar TNG timeline. Cool, eh?

Who can safely say that the battle between the Enterprise C and the Romulans defending the Klingon out post never happened the way it did in the end? I mean, no one really knew what happened aboard that ship during the battle. A group of Bynars could have went back wearing purple tracksuits singing Dirty by Christina Aguillera and defended the Klingons and from the outside it would have just looked like the Enterprise C! If we were to follow CJLP's theory then that would mean that during the first (pretty much) four series of TNG, Sela never existed because THAT was a different time line. I personally hate this 'alternate' time line crap. I feel that whatever happens happens no matter what - the Bill and Ted theory! We will put a bucket there later, so a bucket is there now! Time travel doesnt exist. And until it does, we can argue til we are blue in the face, about it. Without really proving anything. I think though that the battle occurred as it did. And that's that. My reason is because everything went back to EXACTLY as it was when the Enterprise C went back. And I think that had it went differently then that would have had a knock on effect that would have seen Worf with a bee hive and Picard drinking Peach Snaps in a Jacuzzi on the holodeck with Atilla the Hunn every day! I think that they way it ended up happening is the way it happened. Just like First Contact.

Its an interesting theory CJLP, but before the ENT-C comes through the rift, we see the ENT-D as is was before, which means that the ENT-C changed the timeline by coming through. Picard merely restored the timeline by sending ENT-C back (How else would Guinan know that Tasha didn't belong there?

I dont think that that was what CJLP meant. I think he meant that before the Enterprise C came through, in the original time line, Cpt Rachael Garrett and crew battled the Romulans. But the after the C came through, a skeleton crew with Tasha Yar battled the Romulans, giving a different version of events with exactly the same consequences: peace between the Klingons and the Federation.

Ok, in which case i admit i am wrong, and go with the 'Christina Aguilera loving bynar' theory - it wouldnt really make a difference, and we cant be sure it wasnt that way originally, its just that noone knew Garret was dead

I think I get it, If Picard hadn't sent Tasha back thre would be no Sela, which means no "Unification!

I think you got something Captain :laugh:

Who can safely say that the battle between the Enterprise C and the Romulans defending the Klingon out post never happened the way it did in the end? I mean, no one really knew what happened aboard that ship during the battle. A group of Bynars could have went back wearing purple tracksuits singing Dirty by Christina Aguillera and defended the Klingons and from the outside it would have just looked like the Enterprise C! If we were to follow CJLP's theory then that would mean that during the first (pretty much) four series of TNG, Sela never existed because THAT was a different time line.

No, no, no. What I mean is, the timeline with the Klingon/Federation war and Natasha Yar still being alive would be the "original" timeline, while the TNG-we-know is the alterred timeline, created by Picard in "Yesterday's Enterprise". :laugh:

Its an interesting theory CJLP, but before the ENT-C comes through the rift, we see the ENT-D as is was before, which means that the ENT-C changed the timeline by coming through. Picard merely restored the timeline by sending ENT-C back (How else would Guinan know that Tasha didn't belong there?

"Yesterday's Enterprise" is more a glimpse of how things would have been had the Enterprise-C remained in the future. By sending the ship back, Picard creates a new timeline first scene in "Encounter at Farpoint".

The timeline seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" isn't created when the ship arrives in 2366, but rather when it departs 2344. So, 2344-66 with the Federation/Klingon war is the original timeline. Once the Ent-C returns to 2344, we have a new 20 yeas of history which includes the TNG timeline season since the premiere.

I'm not saying Picard changed the timeline "after" the episode, but that the timeline that unfolds after that battle was soley due to Picard and that Picard is responsible for ending a 20 year war with the Klingons by keeping it from ever happeneing! :laugh:

I think I get it, If Picard hadn't sent Tasha back thre would be no Sela, which means no "Unification!

I think you got something Captain :laugh:

No no, it's Picard sending the Enterprise-C back that changes things, Tasha has nothing to do with it beyond a minor temporal anomaly in the form of Sela.

*Makes a note to herself to never argue with CJLP about the meaning of the universe.* I'm sure I'd be in way over my head :clap: You've got some pretty....interesting ideas. I, personally, love timetravel episodes because of their complexities. Sure, they make no sense until the end most of the time, but that's what makes them fun!!

:frusty:

Jaina

Or maybe the mirror universe is the correct time line: and all the others are alternate. Or the Year of Hell was an original time line: and the rest was alternate. I think that there are an infinite number of time lines and the one we follow each week is the original.