Sign in to follow this  
RikerChick

Woosh?

How does the Enterprise go "woosh" in the vacuum of space? :laugh: Is this one of those throw science out the window for the sake of cool special effects things?

maybe it is just the nacells that make some noice? :wow:

seriously, i think it is just for cool effects i'm afraid.. :laugh:

Did you ever see 2001? As far as I know it is the only science fiction movie to ever recognize that there is no sound in the vacum of space. I was watching the Directors Eddition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and director Nick Meyer said that he had wanted to make the space outside the ships silent but there was no way it would have gone over with the studio. I think it's funny that in reality you wouldn't be able to hear anything in space yet if you make a movie where the ships are making any noise then everyone in the audience says "hey what's wrong with the sound!" It's ironic that it seems more believable if we simply throw science out the window. If you remember the ships made noise in 2010.

Did you ever see 2001? As far as I know it is the only science fiction movie to ever recognize that there is no sound in the vacum of space. I was watching the Directors Eddition of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and director Nick Meyer said that he had wanted to make the space outside the ships silent but there was no way it would have gone over with the studio.  I think it's funny that in reality you wouldn't be able to hear anything in space yet if you make a movie where the ships are making any noise then everyone in the audience says "hey what's wrong with the sound!" It's ironic that it seems more believable if we simply throw science out the window. If you remember the ships made noise in 2010.[/sHADOW]

Yes, that movie did actually do that.

Wait, which movie kinda uses the truth about the vacuum of space and turned it into the quote...."In space, no one can here you scream" ?

Wait, which movie kinda uses the truth about the vacuum of space and turned it into the quote...."In space, no one can here you scream" ?

i asked my hubbie, who is really good with that kind of question and he said it came from the movie "Alien"

Yeah, I heard somewhere that they originally tried it with out sound, but it didn't sound very good- too quiet, even with music, so they put it in, even though ( i think/hope) that they knew there was no sound in space

Well as you know it really comes down to the entertainment factor. What is more entertaining no sound effects (well it can have music in the background) or the “woosh” or “boom”.

I think most people would want the “woosh” or the “boom”.

And I personally would prefer the “woosh” or the “boom” vs. no sound

It is really no big deal to me (and probably all of you too). {As long as ST tries to keep other facts more on the lines with science fact}

Logging off

I’ll see everyone in a few days

Until then . . .

Master Q

StarTrek_Master_Q@yahoo.com

I agree master_q, I feel that the sound effects are there for entertainment value only. I mean a space battle would be strange without sounds, it would be like watching a pantomime scene(which a lot of people get very bored with, very quickly). I know that there is no sound in the vacuum of space, and everyone else does, as you pointed out....but sound is sometimes better than silence(as you stated as well).

I think it is just to keep the attention. And myself, I prefer the sound. A show would loose people's attention if there were no sound.

In ancient Greece, when they built temples like the Parthenon, they tilted columns inwards towards the top to make them look straighter. They werent perfectly straight but they LOOKED straighter than if they HAD've been perfectly straight. What i mean is, sometimes what is real doesnt seem real enough. And so something unreal is added to make that thing SEEM more real. Silent ships would be real but wouldnt seem real. Oooh my head. Do you know what i mean?

In ancient Greece, when they built temples like the Parthenon, they tilted columns inwards towards the top to make them look straighter. They werent perfectly straight but they LOOKED straighter than if they HAD've been perfectly straight. What i mean is, sometimes what is real doesnt seem real enough. And so something unreal is added to make that thing SEEM more real. Silent ships would be real but wouldnt seem real. Oooh my head. Do you know what i mean?

:o *hands prometheus an asprin* Yes that made perfect sense. Good example. BTW, I like the sounds too, this was just one of those random weird thoughts.

It's ironic that it seems more believable if we simply throw science out the window. If you remember the ships made noise in 2010.

That's true! (ok, duh....but you know. I never would have thought of it that way. Good point).

In 2001, the silence was very dramatic. For a different perspective, I would like to see a Trek episode done without the whoosh for once. I wonder if we'd notice?

Probably, if we hadn't read this topic, we would have a vague idea that something was different, but wouldn't be able to place what...

There is no sound in space, but there's sound in your living room (or wherever the TV is) and that's good enough for me! Besides, the woosh doesn't bug me as much as when the Doctor was yelling in space in the Voyager episode,"Basics" (Part I). Did anyone else notice that? It bugged me a great deal. He accidentally got projected out into space, and he's yelling things like "Help!" That is what bugs me. The wooshes and the other sound effects are OK, though. Strange, how I can accept one and not the other, eh?

Oh, and here's a... creative way to explain the woosh thing. Follow the link. "Wooshing in Space"

Having someone scream in space(without them wearing a space suit) would bug me to no end if I were to see that in a movie or TV show! you are serious about taht aren't you ensign beedrill?

I would get bored watcing the begining if there was no sound i think alot of people wold as well it makes it more dramatic maby it's not relistic but it's cool

RRR :laugh: [GLOW=yellow]

EDIT: Worfo, please visit this thread for pointers on how to use the codes at this site, thank you. :look: You may edit this post after (Fix your codes and erase me.)

http://server7.ipshosting.com/~startrek/in...ST&f=15&t=68&s=

Edited by Alterego

Having someone scream in space(without them wearing a space suit) would bug me to no end if I were to see that in a movie or TV show! you are serious about taht aren't you ensign beedrill?

Serious about it bugging me? Yeah! I mean, I can accept it all the same... I know it's not real... but still. Sound doesn't travel in space. I think it would have been funnier if the doctor started screaming but we didn't hear his voice. I don't know. Maybe I have a strange sense of humor. But the no spacesuit part didn't bother me. He's a hologram... he doesn't need one.

It didn't really bug me until a while after I saw the ep. Then it sort of just...hit me.

Serious about it bugging me? Yeah! I mean, I can accept it all the same... I know it's not real... but still. Sound doesn't travel in space. I think it would have been funnier if the doctor started screaming but we didn't hear his voice. I don't know. Maybe I have a strange sense of humor. But the no spacesuit part didn't bother me. He's a hologram... he doesn't need one.

No, I knew it bugged you...I have never seen much of Voyager...so I didn't know if he REALLY was in space without a spacesuit and screaming(making actual audible noises)....That would definately drive me nuts!! He should be screaming...and not having anything come out, it would have been more funny than probably was intended...but it would have made more sense!

The whoosh doesn't bother, so much so that i didn't remember about space being a vacuum. Never was very good with attention to detail.

I have never seen much of Voyager

That's a shame. It's a good show. And Janeway... she's great. My second favorite cap'n.

"Yes, Captain."

"It's crunch time, Mr. Kim!"

"Yes, Ma'am."

Heh, poor Harry.