• Battle Of Britain
    • Black HawK Down
    • DamnBusters
    • Pearl Harbour
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • The great escape
    • We were Soilders
    • other

I don't like war movies.  Too violent, too many characters die...

I'd Say Something Here, But Good Sense Got The Better Of Me.

So I'll Say Something Else.

They Are Good Movies, Really. Not Watching Just 'Cause It's A War Movie Is Abit Closed Minded. But Whatever You Think Man.

I vote "other".

Don't know how many have seen this, but I really like a Chuck Heston movie from sometime around 1980 named, "Midway." We have it on tape and I watch it once in a while. Has real footage from WWII in it, and tells about the naval strategy going on after Pearl Harbor.

I don't like war movies.  Too violent, too many characters die...

I'd Say Something Here, But Good Sense Got The Better Of Me.

So I'll Say Something Else.

They Are Good Movies, Really. Not Watching Just 'Cause It's A War Movie Is Abit Closed Minded. But Whatever You Think Man.

I've seen war movies. Too intense, too violent, and allways have a sad ending. That's why I don't like them. ;)

That's The Whole Point ;)

Oh Well, lol

Seeing People Get "Sprayed" By A Heavy Machine Gun In A War Film Just Doesn't Bother Me, lol

Should That In Itself Bother Me?? ;)

Edited by Sam The Smuggler

You've got a good point Sam, the films are usually based on reality, so if you can't face reality, theres something up with you.

You've got a good point Sam, the films are usually based on reality, so if you can't face reality, theres something up with you.

I know the films are reallity. ;) It's not a matter of facing reallity, it's that I don't like seeing people killing each other for 2 hours. ;) I'm just not into violence.

Violence is a part of life, you gotta face it, these films desensatise you to it, what would you feel if you saw someone in real life being gunned down or beat up?

I know the films are reallity. ;) It's not a matter of facing reallity, it's that I don't like seeing people killing each other for 2 hours. ;) I'm just not into violence.

It's Not Happening During The Entire Movie ;)

And There Is A Story To Tell Amid All The Shooting

Another good point Sam, it shows the emotional effect these events have on people personally.

I didn't like Pearl Harbor that much. too much romance.

When I watch war movies I want fighting! lol

Edited by thedoctor

I didn't like Pearl Harbor that much. too much romance.

When I watch war movies I want fighting! lol

But that's why it's a film for everyone, Romance, Mistrust, Friendship, sex, love, hate, explosions, aerial dogfight, drowning, shooting, blood, hard discions etc etc

Other. I think the movie I'm thinking of is "The Longest Day". (It's been a long time since I've seen it on video). It shows the events of WWII from the viewpoint of (& in the language of) the Americans, Japanese, and Germans (& the French?). I guess I should rent is again.

Although I rarely watch war movies, I'm a BIG fan of horror films - the more mayhem, the better. Is that weird or what? ;)

The most recent war film i seen was The Great Escape, i watched it with me dad, it was ok...

saving private ryan.

recent, arms? the great escape is from the 60s. but that's one of my favourites as well. steve mcqueen is great.

I voted for "Saving Private Ryan", but there are so many other great war films that I absolutly love. "Kellys' Heros" is an example, love that film. Its the film that inspired me to become a Tanker (Tank Crewman) in the Army.

Other great films, "Battle of the Bulge", "Midway", "Platoon", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Tora Tora Tora"

But SPR and KH are the two at the top of my favorite list, Private Ryan made me cry, Kelly's Heros made me laugh my *buttocks* off.

Edited by Klingonmike

Ya, Saving Private Ryan is the one of the only movies that has ever brought me to tears. I'm usually pretty good at not crying during sad movies... but... Saving Private Ryan. Wow.

Ya, Saving Private Ryan is the one of the only movies that has ever brought me to tears. I'm usually pretty good at not crying during sad movies... but... Saving Private Ryan. Wow.

Yeah I know what you mean. The scene where the military car arrives at the Ryan house to inform them that 3 of their sons had died and we see the mother just drop to the floor of the porch when she relizes what happened just tore me up! I cried like a baby. And at the end when the older Ryan was walking thru the gravesite of his fellow soldiers and he stops at the tombstone of the officer that had come to get him (Tom Hanks) then he looked at his wife and said something like "I've been a good man my life haven't I?" I had the ole tears flooding out again.

For those that have watched "Kelly's Heros" I model myself after the character of Oddjob which was played very well by Donald Sutherland (Kiefer Sutherland of the TV show 24 is his real life son.). One of the funnest characters to ever be in a war movie. My favorite line of his he always says when people tell him bad news or say something can't be done, he says "Always with the negative waves." He is like the first hippie! LOL

First I have to get this off my chest: IMO - if you can't watch people die then don't vote for a president that will send people to war and don't sing their praises when they do.

Bck to topic:

I think my favorite "War Movie" is Mr. Roberts - it may not be as violent as some but it is sad enough.

Here are some more War Movies - not all American wars

Henry V

The Killing Fields

A Bridge Too Far

The Bridge on the River Kwai

The Dirty Dozen

Gallipoli

and I still have never seen From Here to Eternity and only part of Stalag 17

and so many more.

The Bridge on the River Kwai

I LOVE this movie. It's great.

I haven't seen A Bridge Too Far yet, but I will eventually.

Out of your list I would have chosen The Dambusters.

This is my favourite genre and of the ones I can think of my favorites are: Reach For The Sky, In Which We Serve, Cruel Sea, The Hill, Dunkirk, Ice Cold Alex, The Longest Day, The Colditz Story, Above Us The Waves, Guns of Navarone, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Zulu.

However, in the end it all comes down to two films: The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia, both directed by David Lean.

"Saving Private Ryan" and "Black Hawk Down" were very good. actually, "Black Hawk Down" was fairly accurate, as far as what an RPG can do to a Helocopter. and from what I understand, talking to my father, brother and brother in law, War movies don't do the real thing justice...give me two or three weeks and I'll confim that for ya.