Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Where no man has gone before

I watched this today from videotape (also noticed it about 49 minutes in length).

This was the pilot so I noticed some changes before the actual series premiere

Was it my imagination or did Spock smile during the chess game?

I had never really thought of Kirk as an academic but he had to be to an extent.

For me this episode followed up on some issues that were raised in the reincarnation thread on Risa. They kept talking about gods - as in the power of a god. What do people think a god is? Absolute power doesn't make one a God - it makes one a powerful being. But then their power wasn't absolute because they had no control over their ability to die.

Then there was the issue that these people were supposed to have become more advanced than us. In what way other than they could do the things we already can do but they can do it faster such as reading, memorizing, calculating.

Granted they could telekinetically manipulate matter which isn't something we can do - does manipulating matter telekinetically make one a god. I guess they used that term too much for me.

I think it was a better pilot than the cage and I still feel the relationships between the crew was demonstrated better in TOS than in other series. I've got a few more tapes so I'm going to be watching them.

I'll post about this tomorrow, too late tonight.  However, I thought the pilot is the series premiere? :)

That's pretty common now but not necessarily in the 60's. Pilots would be used to demo the show - sometimes the pilots didn't even get used for airing because the producers wanted to make some changes before actual production.

Spock displayed little snippets of emotion throughout the entire series. He was half human and Nimoy let that half come through occationally in his portrayal of Spock, in fact, he couldn't have made the character believable without them. Spock was a very human character.

As far as the god thing, I think we are to assume they are refering to them as small (g) gods, not the all mighty supreme being type of God.

Edited by Big_Steve

Yep, he did smile during the chess game. I'm sure you noticed the look of the character was quite different as well...the eyebrows were much more pronounced than in later episodes. He blamed his show of emotion on the fact that "one of his ancestors had mated with a Terran." The characters were still being developed during these early shows, and the unemotional, reigned in Spock came about during "The Corbomite Maneuver," where he utters his now famous catch phrase, "fascinating" for the first time. We also learn which ancestor married the human in "Journey to Babel" which turned out, of course, to be Spock's own father, Ambassador Sarek.

Yep, he did smile during the chess game. I'm sure you noticed the look of the character was quite different as well...the eyebrows were much more pronounced than in later episodes. He blamed his show of emotion on the fact that "one of his ancestors had mated with a Terran." The characters were still being developed during these early shows, and the unemotional, reigned in Spock came about during "The Corbomite Maneuver," where he utters his now famous catch phrase, "fascinating" for the first time. We also learn which ancestor married the human in "Journey to Babel" which turned out, of course, to be Spock's own father, Ambassador Sarek.

Spock felt genuine emotion in the following episodes:

The Menagerie 1&2 (compassion)

The Galileo Seven (desperation, stubborness)

Amok Time (sorrow, joy)

Journey To Babel (sadness, feelings hurt)

The Immunity Syndrome (sorrow)

For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky (loving concern for McCoy)

Plato's Stepchildren (anger, hate)

The Empath (friendship)

Requiem For Methuselah (loving concern for Kirk)

There are many other examples, like I said, Spock displayed little snippets of emotion through-out the entire series, these are just a few good examples I recommend watching. I purposely left off episodes like, The Naked Time, This Side Of Paradise, etc, because these emotions were brought on by outside forces.

Edited by Big_Steve

Which One Was It Where Spock Broke Down Crying?

"The Naked Time" and "Plato's Stepchildren", but these emotions were brought on by outside forces. The Platonians made him laugh and cry, but he genuinely felt anger and hatred toward them.

Which One Was It Where Spock Broke Down Crying?

"The Naked Time" and "Plato's Stepchildren", but these emotions were brought on by outside forces. The Platonians made him laugh and cry, but he genuinely felt anger and hatred toward them.

Yeah, I Remembered That Part, hehe.

We also learn which ancestor married the human in "Journey to Babel" which turned out, of course, to be Spock's own father, Ambassador Sarek.

We learn that Spock's father married an earth woman and that this earth woman is Spock's mother in "The Corbomite Maneuver". We get to see them all together in "Journey To Babel".

Edited by Big_Steve

This is slightly off-topic, but it has to do with Spock's in from "The Empath."

Click For Spoiler
Spock and Kirk are caught in a forcefield to keep from saving McCoy near the end. The forcefield feeds off their emotions. Granted, Spock is the first out, but the fact that he was caught in the first place is very telling. :) I'm sure McCoy, once he recovered, didn't let him get away with that for very long. Or Kirk, once he thought about it. Both of them teased Spock unmercifully at times.

Personally, I think it was more than friendship.

And not airing "Where No Man..." first was a deliberate decision...

Yes, I Think Someone Mentioned That In An Old Thread Somewhere. Gene Was The One That Wanted The Episodes Aired In The Order We Got Em.

There was an intresting loking phaser rifle in the eps. too I read James Blish's novelization of this episode and in the original stry I think that Gary's whole body became a silverish color and not just his eyes. I guess money and makeup restraints changed things.

This is slightly off-topic, but it has to do with Spock's in from "The Empath."

Click for Spoiler:

Spock and Kirk are caught in a forcefield to keep from saving McCoy near the end.  The forcefield feeds off their emotions.  Granted, Spock is the first out, but the fact that he was caught in the first place is very telling. :force:  I'm sure McCoy, once he recovered, didn't let him get away with that for very long.  Or Kirk, once he thought about it.  Both of them teased Spock unmercifully at times.

Personally, I think it was more than friendship.

So sorry to burst your bubble, but Spock was very much interested in women as shown in the following episodes:

"This Side of Paradise", "All Our Yesterdays", "Mudd's Women", "The Cloud Minders","Enterprise Incident" and a tiny snippet at the end of "Shore Leave". As for Spock making it out of the force field faster than Kirk, as you stated the field was generated by their emotions and Spock was highly disciplined in suppressing his. Kirk and Spock are both good friends with McCoy, even if for a long time McCoy and Spock didn't quite realize they actually liked each other, as well, and were not merely tolerating each other's presence for Kirk's sake. Go back through and examine the Big Three's behavior. They are like the "Three Muskateers", devoted to each other through thick and thin, out of friendship ("all for one and one for all")--- and nothing more, though that is powerful enough by any standard!

T'Bree

So sorry to burst your bubble, but Spock was very much interested in women as shown in the following episodes:

"This Side of Paradise", "All Our Yesterdays", "Mudd's Women", "The Cloud Minders","Enterprise Incident" and a tiny snippet at the end of "Shore Leave".

T'Bree

Of all the episodes you mention, only in "The Cloud Minders" did Spock show genuine attraction to a woman.

In "This Side Of Paradise" Spock was infected by alien spores that forcefully brought volatile emotions to the surface. In "All Our Yesterdays" Spock was sent back 5000 years and experienced the primitive emotions of his ancestors. In "The Enterprise Incident" it was Spock's job to distract the Romulan commander. Then you have "Mudd's Women" and "Shore Leave"? I don't recall Spock showing any type of attraction to women in either of those episodes, however, I totally agree with the rest of your post :force:

"This Side of Paradise", "All Our Yesterdays", "Mudd's Women", "The Cloud Minders","Enterprise Incident" and a tiny snippet at the end of "Shore Leave".

T'Bree

Of all the episodes you mention, only in "The Cloud Minders" did Spock show genuine attraction to a woman.

In "This Side Of Paradise" Spock was infected by alien spores that forcefully brought volatile emotions to the surface. In "All Our Yesterdays" Spock was sent back 5000 years and experienced the primitive emotions of his ancestors. In "The Enterprise Incident" it was Spock's job to distract the Romulan commander. Then you have "Mudd's Women" and "Shore Leave"? I don't recall Spock showing any type of attraction to women in either of those episodes, however, I totally agree with the rest of your post :)

112743[/snapback]

I don't recall Spock showing any attraction in the latter 2 episodes either. It's been a little while since I"ve seen them though so I may pull the DVD's out and re-watch them soon.

I agree though that "The Cloud Minders" was the only episode where he showed genuine attraction when he wasn't under any other influences.

It is a tough thing for Spock. To be a hybid so you can expect from time to time he was going to lose his mind.

Did anyone else notice that the name on Kirk's headstone that Gary put at the newly dug grave read "James R. Kirk" instead of "James T. Kirk?"

Yeah, I wonder where all the continuity freaks were then eh.

Sorry, still a little bitter over the death of ENT at the hands of those...

Did anyone else notice that the name on Kirk's headstone that Gary put at the newly dug grave read "James R. Kirk" instead of "James T. Kirk?"

I think technically the T violates the R as the R is established first and T comes later, not sure though. Tiberius isn't even established until Star Trek VI and that is based on an animated series episode.

Yeah, I wonder where all the continuity freaks were then eh.

Sorry, still a little bitter over the death of ENT at the hand of those...

TOS is probably the worst series in terms of internal continuity. Case in point, Enterprise got a lot of giref over subspace communication when TOS says that subspace radio didn't exist until 2168, however TOS also says the Romulan peace treaty was negotiated via subspace radio. So somehow ENT gets grief and TOS gets off no problem.

Continuity wasn't payed much attention to on TOS. 1 week the phasers were red, the next week they were blue. My favorite is when Lt. Leslie died at the hands of the Cloud creature in "Obsession" and then was back on the show the next week as though nothing had ever happened.... :)

I love sickbay in the old series ... a couple of tables with some pong screens hanging overhead and some Windex bottles on a shelf across the room.

I love sickbay in the old series ... a couple of tables with some pong screens hanging overhead and some Windex bottles on a shelf across the room.

Don't forget the salt and pepper shakers that served as McCoy's scanners...... B)