• ST III:The Search for Spock
    • ST IV:The Voyage Home
    • ST V:The Final Frontier
    • ST VI:The Undiscovered Country
    • ST:Generations
    • ST:First Contact
    • ST:Insurrection
    • ST:Nemesis

I voted for "Generations" because there was so much promise for that movie and it just did not deliver.  The movie was touted as the "old school" meeting "the next generation."  I had high hopes.  I thought maybe both CREWS would meet via a time warp or something, and the TOS and TNG crews would join forces to save the universe once again.  What did I get?  My beloved James T. Kirk getting killed in a fist fight!!!  What a let down!!

I think you set your expectations to high, as I loved the movie and am both a TOS & TNG fan.

As for being let down? The movie was advertised as a Kirk/Picard story, not a TOS/TNG story. ;) Oh, and Kirk was killed by the mighty, rusty bridge, not a fist fight.

I too was disappointed in the way Kirk died..He deserved much better than that..

I voted for "Generations" because there was so much promise for that movie and it just did not deliver.  The movie was touted as the "old school" meeting "the next generation."  I had high hopes.  I thought maybe both CREWS would meet via a time warp or something, and the TOS and TNG crews would join forces to save the universe once again.  What did I get?  My beloved James T. Kirk getting killed in a fist fight!!!  What a let down!!

I think you set your expectations to high, as I loved the movie and am both a TOS & TNG fan.

As for being let down? The movie was advertised as a Kirk/Picard story, not a TOS/TNG story. ;) Oh, and Kirk was killed by the mighty, rusty bridge, not a fist fight.

I too was disappointed in the way Kirk died..He deserved much better than that..

Why? I thought it was done very well. He leaped to the other side of the bridge, knowing it'd probably give away shortly, to save the lives of an alien world and the crew of the Enterprise. Isn't that heroic enough?

Why? I thought it was done very well. He leaped to the other side of the bridge, knowing it'd probably give away shortly, to save the lives of an alien world and the crew of the Enterprise. Isn't that heroic enough?

A rusty old bridge killed Kirk..James T Kirk Killed by an old rusty bridge..Oh great..All the great battles he's had..All the villains he fought and he dies when a bridge lets loose!!

I think it was a terrible way for him to die..He should have been allowed to save the day and sail into the sunset!! ;)

Why does it matter how he dies?  I think the point of the movie's ending was why he died.

Why? It was a passing of the torch so to speak..Right?

I'll have to agree with the general consensus so far. I thought the ending of Generations was disappointing, and also wasn't impressed much by the movie as a whole. The way Kirk died wasn't what most die-hard fans wanted. No matter the reason behind his death and the lives saved, most thought he needed to go out with a little more style. It was kinda ironic - this great man dies sledding down a mountain-side. ;) It wasn't awful, but I'm sure they could've thought up a better way. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. ;)

I think Generations is great. Kirk dieing how he did is slightly yeah disappointing, but it still moved me, and the movie as a whole is quite good.

And even if the plot sucks, atleast the effects are sweet. The Final Frontier doesn't even bring in enough visual attractiveness to save it from plot decay.

The way Kirk died wasn't what most die-hard fans wanted. No matter the reason behind his death and the lives saved, most thought he needed to go out with a little more style. It was kinda ironic - this great man dies sledding down a mountain-side.

That's the whole point. If he died how people expected, where's the surprise in that? I think they did his death the way they did on purpose, so it wouldn't have been predictable.

I think Star Trek V was the worst movie. The lack of attention to detail the crappy makeup and FX plus the terrible plot ( god in our galaxy) makes it an awful film. I agree that Kirk should have been sent oof with a little more respect than that. Actually I don't think he should have died at all. There are other ways to pass the torch.

...plus the terrible plot ( god in our galaxy) makes it an awful film.

It wasn't God, it was an alien pretending to be God.

Kirk died, becuase at the time, William Shatner wanted to be done with Trek. I've read he regrets killing off Kirk.

...plus the terrible plot ( god in our galaxy) makes it an awful film.

It wasn't God, it was an alien pretending to be God.

Kirk died, becuase at the time, William Shatner wanted to be done with Trek. I've read he regrets killing off Kirk.

Duh, It Wasn't God. It Was That Sybok Believed It Was God,Is What People Think Is Stupid, I'd Imagine.

plus the terrible plot ( god in our galaxy) makes it an awful film.

Gene Roddenberry said the same thing about the "God in our galaxy" aspect, he didn't get it either.

It was not about finding God it was about Evil masquerading as Good and deceiving people in much the same way as David Koresh, Jim Jones and a host of others have been. I believe it to be a situation which will/is become(ing) timelier with each passing day. wink.gif

For me Insurrection is the worst. It started off promising with Data ripping off his invisibility cloak and attacking other members of his away team, then it just totally lost my interest. I just plain didn't care about the Ba'ku, I thought F. Murray Abraham was wasted on a fairly non-scary villain, and the dialogue between Crusher and Troi about their breasts and the whole thing with Worf having acne had me rolling my eyes so hard it took a couple of days to get them rolled back to looking forward. And I really hated that Anige woman that Picard hooked up with ... I was actually rooting for her to die in that dumb cave-in. How sick is that?

I am of the Crusher/Picard romance persuasion and I really wish we had seen something between the two of them in these TNG movies. Why couldn't we have seen Beverly as Picard's wife in the nexxus in Generations? Why couldn't Picard have turned to Beverly like Riker turned to Troi when they were under the influence of the fountain of youth planet in Insurrection? A few meaningful looks between them at Riker/Troi's wedding reception would have been nice in Nemesis.

Why was the ball totally dropped on this relationship? It was alluded to throughout the run of the series and in the big finale "All Good Things."

For me Insurrection is the worst.  It started off promising with Data ripping off his invisibility cloak and attacking other members of his away team, then it just totally lost my interest.  I just plain didn't care about the Ba'ku, I thought F. Murray Abraham was wasted on a fairly non-scary villain, and the dialogue between Crusher and Troi about their breasts and the whole thing with Worf having acne had me rolling my eyes so hard it took a couple of days to get them rolled back to looking forward.  And I really hated that Anige woman that Picard hooked up with ... I was actually rooting for her to die in that dumb cave-in.  How sick is that?

What was wrong with the Ba'Ku? I loved the idea of a space farring civilization who decides to reject technology. I also loved their peaceful village, while not too alien feeling, it was very different from previous movies. As for the villian, Adhar Ru'afo, who said he was suppose to be scary? I found the dialogue between Crusher and Troi to be quite funny, it was a line of humor, that's all. As for Worf having acne? It was one pimpil, and I thought it was hillarrious. Besides, Worf got loads to do in this movie, so what's the big deal? What's wrong with Picard/Anij? I thought it made for an interresting romance.

I am of the Crusher/Picard romance persuasion and I really wish we had seen something between the two of them in these TNG movies. Why couldn't we have seen Beverly as Picard's wife in the nexxus in Generations? Why couldn't Picard have turned to Beverly like Riker turned to Troi when they were under the influence of the fountain of youth planet in Insurrection? A few meaningful looks between them at Riker/Troi's wedding reception would have been nice in Nemesis.

Why was the ball totally dropped on this relationship? It was alluded to throughout the run of the series and in the big finale "All Good Things."

I'm not sure why the Picard/Crusher romance wasn't touched upon in the movies. I allways saw them as very close, like Picard/Guinnan. It was just hard to see them in a serrious relationship, but if it had happened, I'd be all for it. ;)

Well, I would have loved to see Picard and Beverly, because it just would seem right, but at the same time, I would hate seeing Star Trek turned into a soap opera, just worried about who's going to hook up with who. Voyager did that at the end, and it just seemed a little cheap.

One thing I didn't like about Insurrection, was Picard's motive for staging the whole save the Ba'Ku thing. I know it sounds barbaristic, but couldn't there have been a better way. The Ba'ku were good people and aware of what is fair. I figure they would have allowed themselves to be translocated. I mean come on, 600 hundred people losing eternal youth, so that billions of others could be helped by the metaphasic particles. Billions of people. I'm sorry but it just doesn't entirely measure out right with me.

Well, I would have loved to see Picard and Beverly, because it just would seem right, but at the same time, I would hate seeing Star Trek turned into a soap opera, just worried about who's going to hook up with who. Voyager did that at the end, and it just seemed a little cheap.

I agree, with the exception of Riker/Troi, TNG wasn't about relationships. So, maybe Picard/Crusher in the movies might have given it a soap-opera feel.

What was wrong for Picards motive for staging the whole save the Ba'Ku thing? The Ba'Ku didn't want to live there becuase "it's the world of youth", but rather becuase it's inside the Briar Patch where few will disturb them. It's their home, and that's the point. Remember what Picard said? How many does it take before it becomes wrong, hmm? A thousand, six-thousand, a million, how many people does it take, Commander Ericks! ;) Sorry, seems I've seen that movie one too many times. ;) Anywho, I don't think forced relocation is justifiable unless it's a small group of people, like less than a hundred.

Nemesis without a doubt. I can't think of much of anything I liked about that movie. Even if they came out with another TNG movie I don't think I'd spend the money to see it after Nemesis. As far as I'm concerned TNG ended after First Contact. Everything got stupid after that.

I agree, with the exception of Riker/Troi, TNG wasn't about relationships. So, maybe Picard/Crusher in the movies might have given it a soap-opera feel.

What was wrong for Picards motive for staging the whole save the Ba'Ku thing? The Ba'Ku didn't want to live there becuase "it's the world of youth", but rather becuase it's inside the Briar Patch where few will disturb them. It's their home, and that's the point. Remember what Picard said? How many does it take before it becomes wrong, hmm? A thousand, six-thousand, a million, how many people does it take, Commander Ericks! ;) Sorry, seems I've seen that movie one too many times. ;) Anywho, I don't think forced relocation is justifiable unless it's a small group of people, like less than a hundred.

I'm ordering you to the Goran system, Captain. I don't even care if I am only a Commander.

I agree that Will and Deanna's relationship was well done. And you won't see a soap opera take fifteen years for the couple to get married.

But still about the Ba'Ku, I just can't see the Ba'Ku, knowing how much they could help countless billions. And there are so many places away from civilization that the Ba'ku could be placed. I mean, I know it's the lesser of two evils but I still can't get over that Picard was letting his personal feelings get in the way (which he told Shinzon not to do in Nemisis). And last time I checked, the needs of the many still out way the needs of the few.

Edited by Commander Ericks

Nemesis without a doubt. I can't think of much of anything I liked about that movie. Even if they came out with another TNG movie I don't think I'd spend the money to see it after Nemesis. As far as I'm concerned TNG ended after First Contact. Everything got stupid after that.

If you didn't like NEMESIS, click here and here. ;)

I'm ordering you to the Goran system, Captain. I don't even care if I am only a Commander.

I agree that Will and Deanna's relationship was well done. And you won't see a soap opera take fifteen years for the couple to get married.

But still about the Ba'Ku, I just can't see the Ba'Ku, knowing how much they could help countless billions. And there are so many places away from civilization that the Ba'ku could be placed. I mean, I know it's the lesser of two evils but I still can't get over that Picard was letting his personal feelings get in the way (which he told Shinzon not to do in Nemisis). And last time I checked, the needs of the many still out way the needs of the few.

It doesn't matter if the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. It's their world, havesting the radiation would leave the planet uninhabitable. If it were a newly settled colony, then I might agree with you, but they've lived there for 300 years. Who are we to take someone's world away from them just becuase we are greedy and not happy with our life span?

Well, first of all I wonder why all of a sudden the needs of the few, or the one, outwiegh the needs of the many (don't bring up Search for Spock, the 'many' in that situation acted to save the one, willingly)

And who is to say that the Ba'ku couldn't be called greedy if they knowingly prevented an infinite number of people from being helped medicaly.

Now I draw the line at forcibly removing them from the Briar Patch, like the Son'a and Douherty had originally planned. But you can't tell me that you would entirly dismiss even negotiation with the Ba'ku, about asking them to leave the planet behind.

Well, first of all I wonder why all of a sudden the needs of the few, or the one, outwiegh the needs of the many (don't bring up Search for Spock, the 'many' in that situation acted to save the one, willingly)

And who is to say that the Ba'ku couldn't be called greedy if they knowingly prevented an infinite number of people from being helped medicaly.

Now I draw the line at forcibly removing them from the Briar Patch, like the Son'a and Douherty had originally planned. But you can't tell me that you would entirly dismiss even negotiation with the Ba'ku, about asking them to leave the planet behind.

The needs of the few, or the one, is not an issue. The world belongs to the Ba'Ku, plain and simple, the Federation has no right to remove them.

The Ba'Ku aren't preventing an infinite number of people being helped medically, but rather defending their home and way of life. Why should they have to start over becuase of some greedy humans?

I agree, negotiations are an option, but forcibly moving them is not.

I completely agree with Picard.... and Picard.

If you've noticed, more often than not, humans have the tendency to value the needs of the few over the many. It's more important to help out the little guy than give in to the bully, so to speak. I agree, negotiations could've been an option, but if the Baku had said no, that should be the end of it. It's their home.

Also, the Fed didn't just want this planet's radiation for medical purposes - there were other self-serving reasons involved as well. IMO, the Fed just gave up far too quickly on its research. With enough time, millions could be saved and the Ba'ku could stay on their own planet.

I'll admit that it may not seem completely clear as to why the Ba'ku wouldn't want to help millions by leaving their planet (I think I would move out of my country if millions would be saved; I wouldn't like it much, though.), but IMHO, the final decision should be theirs.

Edited by Ace

One might wonder why they can't move people in need of help to the planet even though the Ba'Ku still live there.. They aren't that many and the planet is pretty large, they wouldn't even have to meet them if they want privacy..

One might wonder why they can't move people in need of help to the planet even though the Ba'Ku still live there.. They aren't that many and the planet is pretty large, they wouldn't even have to meet them if they want privacy..

Good idea. Establish a hospital on another continent, but to keep it from being flooded, only important pollitical or military people would be sent there in the event of a terminal disease or mortal injury.

Good idea. Establish a hospital on another continent, but to keep it from being flooded, only important pollitical or military people would be sent there in the event of a terminal disease or mortal injury.

I'd say that only having "important" people there would never happen. There was a Voyager episode about that, where the Doctor was kid napped, and used at a medical facility. Lower class citizens recieved less treatment then say politicains and milatary leaders. If it were a colony for people in critical condition, it should be for people with no and next to no options left.

However I still maintain that negotiations should be done in full force, to try to persuade the Ba'ku.

I'd say that only having "important" people there would never happen. There was a Voyager episode about that, where the Doctor was kid napped, and used at a medical facility. Lower class citizens recieved less treatment then say politicains and milatary leaders. If it were a colony for people in critical condition, it should be for people with no and next to no options left.

We're not talking about a high class of people. There has to be a limit, or everyone in the Federation will want to visit this world. Imagine how that'd effect the Ba'Ku, who reject technology?

When I say important people, I mean people like the UFP President.