Sign in to follow this  
adm. stickler

StarFleet uniforms

I just got done watching Star Trek Generations and reaised somthing, why do they have two uniforms (one from Voyager the other from TNG) however the same year when voyager launched, they all had the same uniform. Why?

They didn't have time to design new uniforms, so they decided to show a change from TNG uniforms to the DS9 uniforms. My theory was that the DS9 had different uniforms to test them out or something, then the fleet switches over durring Generations so everyone has them by VOY, while Earth still has the TNG uniforms. Then ST:FC introduces an updated version of that uniform. :dude:

I just got done watching Star Trek Generations and reaised somthing, why do they have two uniforms (one from Voyager the other from TNG) however the same year when voyager launched, they all had the same uniform. Why?

VOY's uniforms wouldn't have changed because they were lost in the Delta Quadrant and didn't get the memo. :dude:

I was told that it was just a transition from one uniform to the next. I still think that the movie should have been done with one uniform or the other, but oh well.

I agree. Instead of trying to "design a new uniform", they should have just made DS9-style uniforms for everyone and saved them the whole "Ack, we don't have time for new uniforms, quick, run to the DS9 wardrobe department!" fiasco. :dude:

I was told that it was just a transition from one uniform to the next. I still think that the movie should have been done with one uniform or the other, but oh well.

I agree. Instead of trying to "design a new uniform", they should have just made DS9-style uniforms for everyone and saved them the whole "Ack, we don't have time for new uniforms, quick, run to the DS9 wardrobe department!" fiasco. :dude:

I can't agree more.. How could they make such a mistake in a movie with such a large budget..

And if you notice in Generations, most of the cast start of in their TNG uniforms and then, at some later stage, change into their DS9 style one.

The new comm badge (with the squarish back) was introduced in this film. I saw drawings for a proposed uniform, in a book. It looked very 'nautical' if you know what i mean with rank bands on the arms.

The new First Contact uniform was apparently made darker as what with the Borg/Dominion threats etc, it was a better colour for the battle field: ie you arent lit up like a Christmas tree!!!

In many military organizations you are going to find times where both new and old uniforms are in use during a transition period so it makes sense that this transition would occur in Starfleet as well.

EDIT: WOO HOO. POST NUMBER 3000. :)

CJLP is correct. The Search aired 09.26.94 while Star Trek Generations was released 11.18.94. So DS9 had the new comm badges prior to Generations. However, filming probably started on Generations first so the comm badges would have been created for that film.

CJLP is correct. The Search aired 09.26.94 while Star Trek Generations was released 11.18.94. So DS9 had the new comm badges prior to Generations. However, filming probably started on Generations first so the comm badges would have been created for that film.

Yeah, the movie would have began filming long before the time that episode aired.

You are correct, sir. The new comm badge was designed for the 7th movie, but first seen in DS9's Season 3 premiere.