Sign in to follow this  
cassidy

Nostradamus

I have been reading up on the prophecies of Nostradamus. They're really amazing - i really recommend that you check it out. For instance Nostradamus predicted the first and second world wars:

For the first a noble is twice attacked [=Austrian Archduke]

In the streets of ILLyria [=Yugoslavia] and dies

The wolf [=germany] lifts up his eyes to the moon

And the eastern empire [czarist russia] loses its head.

For the second, Rome [of Mussolini] conspires with the wolf [=germany]

Between them they eat the [roman] empire

Mighty sounds light up the nights

And countless multitudes are trampled.

There are even prophecies for the third world war:

For the third the earth shakes

The throat of the Gaul is ravaged

Many die fleeing from the awful winds

The sun halts in its path in the heaven

Scary stuff. Of course, it's all open to interpretation so it may not be correct. And keep in mind that Nostradamus was a prophet in the 15th or 16th Century. Tell me your thoughts because I'm not sure what to make of this.

Edited by cassidy

Yes I think his stuff is highly open to prediction as well. Besides, over a long period of time it becomes more likely that similar events can occur out of sheer conincidence. But I'm sure it is still interesting.

For the third the earth shakes

so the beginning of the 3rd war starts with nuclear weapons?

The throat of the Gaul is ravaged

western europe is the center of the attack

Many die fleeing from the awful winds

nuclear fallout kills many

The sun halts in its path in the heaven

cant see the sun because of the fallout

Hmm I always thought Nostradamus's predictions were creepy and highly open to interpretation. ?

I would call it EXTREMLY open to interpretation. I say they could be used to describe a lot of things, not just the World Wars..

But I guess you should never say never, but I can't say I believe in this kind of thing.

There was a series calles Second Wave on the Scifi channel that used the prophecies of Nostradamus as part of the plot but I don't know if they used real quotes.

I agree with others - they are open to broad application. I would also say that keeping up with current events is probably a better way to prepare for whatever lies before us.

I do agree that these are highly open to interpretation, but some of Nostradamus' quatrains contain dates of events. But it is also amazing that Nostradamus was correct about the modern enemy countries.

This is a prophecy by Mother Shipton (1488-1561)

And before the race is built anew

A silver serpent comes into view

And spew out men of like unknown

To mingle with the earth now grown

Cold from its heat, and these men can

Enlighten the minds of future man

To intermingle and show them how

To live and love and thus endow

The children with the second sight.

A natural thing so that they might

Grow graceful, humble, and when they do

The Golden Age will stand anew.

Sounds like aliens to me, maybe the Zeta-Reticuli Grays. What do you think?

Stardate:213999.6

They had a very interesting documentary on the History Channel a few weeks ago.Some of the caudranes(I know I spelled that wrong lol) he came up with were kinda creppy

Here's a scary one:

The well-off suddenly will be brought low

The world is put into trouble by three brothers

The enemy will seize the maritime city [=Marseille?]

Famine, fire, blood, plague, and double of all evils.

It is said that this quatrain is about WWIII. Sounds like the use of biological and chemical weapons. What do you think the double of all evils means?

Here's a scary one:

It is said that this quatrain is about WWIII. Sounds like the use of biological and chemical weapons. What do you think the double of all evils means?

I went to a couple of websites and tried to get a little background on Nostrodamus - I had heard of him but never really read any of his writings. One critique - which I can see in this quatrain is that they are vague and can be applied to more than one event by concentrating on certain lines. If I had simply read this quatrain without your introduction that it was about WWIII I am not sure WWIII would have come to mind.

To me it could also be interpreted that a economic downturn is brought about by a natural disaster. In his time period - famine, plague etc would be likely outcomes of a natural disaster like an earthquake or meteor etc. (they still are today) Three brothers could be a metaphor for mountains, volcanoes, stars etc. Double all evil could simply be a quantitative term meaning "really bad"

I won't say it is impossible that Nostrodamus had visions - there are many unexplained events in the world. I guess the main issue I have is they aren't specific enough to give any real warning.

Here's a scary one:

I went to a couple of websites and tried to get a little background on Nostrodamus - I had heard of him but never really read any of his writings. One critique - which I can see in this quatrain is that they are vague and can be applied to more than one event by concentrating on certain lines. If I had simply read this quatrain without your introduction that it was about WWIII I am not sure WWIII would have come to mind.

To me it could also be interpreted that a economic downturn is brought about by a natural disaster. In his time period - famine, plague etc would be likely outcomes of a natural disaster like an earthquake or meteor etc. (they still are today) Three brothers could be a metaphor for mountains, volcanoes, stars etc. Double all evil could simply be a quantitative term meaning "really bad"

I won't say it is impossible that Nostrodamus had visions - there are many unexplained events in the world. I guess the main issue I have is they aren't specific enough to give any real warning.

Of course I understand what you mean - I'm still trying to work out what to think. But assuming that Nostradamus' prophecies were correct, it still means that something bad is going to happen.

The reason they aren't very specific is because he wrote the quatrains in a very god-fearing time. He believed that he would have been killed for such controversial stuff. It's a pity, though.