Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

The Menagerie

I was thinking about how changes in technology would make this episode plot outdated. The Talosians wanted their captives to breed and we're trying to get the couple to go about it "the old fashioned way". Now all they'd have to do is a little in vitro.

Regarding Captain Pike - it looks like even the medical achievements of that time could have done more - but I guess if they treated the burns you could tell it wasn't the same actor.

Anyway - just a couple of thoughts I had

I am sure they could of done that. But I think the caretakers were more interested a companion for her. She was lonely.

I was thinking about how changes in technology would make this episode plot outdated.  The Talosians wanted their captives to breed and we're trying to get the couple to go about it "the old fashioned way".  Now all they'd have to do is a little in vitro.

Well, it's like what Data said, the Talosians wanted her to have a companion. It is also stated that the Talosians experienced emotion through their captives ... not much to feel with in vitro, if ya know what I mean B)

The same could also be said of the Gideons solution to their overpopulation problem in The Mark Of Gideon. But abortion and birth control are sickening to them ... good ole pre 60's morals.

Edited by Big_Steve

I agree with Data, I think they wanted Pike and Vanna (was that her name?) to fall in love. Their database on humanity was somewhat limited but I believe they wanted the environment to be completely natural so Pike would want to stay.

I agree with Data, I think they wanted Pike and Vanna (was that her name?) to fall in love. Their database on humanity was somewhat limited but I believe they wanted the environment to be completely natural so Pike would want to stay.

You're thinking of The Cloud Minders VBG, the girl in The Cage was called, and I'm not sure of the spelling but it was pronounced, Veena.

And you're right, the Talosians wanted them to fall in love, because they experienced emotion through their captives. That statement, which was edited out of the SciFi channels sunday morning airing of The Cage, was made by Veena in the original uncut episode. In fact, according to the calculations of my video editing software, the SciFi channel chopped away at least ten minutes of that episode!

Edited by Big_Steve

In fact, according to the calculations of my video editing software, the SciFi channel chopped away at least ten minutes of that episode!

Wow, I guess that's why we have to buy season sets.

Does anyone know if 'The Cage' is going to be part of the TOS Season sets??..I certainly hope so even though it was never aired on 60s TV..

In fact, according to the calculations of my video editing software, the SciFi channel chopped away at least ten minutes of that episode!

Wow, I guess that's why we have to buy season sets.

Does anyone know if 'The Cage' is going to be part of the TOS Season sets??..I certainly hope so even though it was never aired on 60s TV..

I'm not sure, but I would hope so, it's a part of TOS.

I would love to have the season sets when they come out but I don't know if I will be able to afford them. I've been permenantely laid off work (doors closed, my job of the past 12 years has been eliminated), so that's why I've been doing the VCD thing.

I would love to have the season sets when they come out but I don't know if I will be able to afford them. I've been permenantely laid off work (doors closed, my job of the past 12 years has been eliminated), so that's why I've been doing the VCD thing.

I got laid off earlier this year so I can relate- I am now working as a temp since everyone has a "hiring freeze". I've doing without a lot of ST stuff lately.

lol, I thought it was the same actor who played the injured C Pike.

:lol: Jeff Hunter died. That's why they had to "burn" him.

I would think they would add this episode as part of the season sets. It's classically Trek - they have it on video, why not continue its release?

I currently have no job as well (as of the day before yesterday). I feel your pain. :dude:

Hmm...My Star Trek Encyclopedia Only Has Jeffrey Hunter Listed As Playing Pike.  So Was The Injured Pike A "Dummy"?

No dummy, Sean Kenney played the injured Pike.

320x240.jpg

Correct, the caretakers wanted Pike to stay so that the lonely female would have a companion. They also wanted to learn more about humanity. They wanted to see how a male and a female would react. :)

You're thinking of The Cloud Minders VBG, the girl in The Cage was called, and I'm not sure of the spelling but it was pronounced, Veena.

The female android Kirk fell in love with in "The Cloud Minders" was Rayna.

I believe that the android Rayna that Kirk fell in love with was in the episode 'Requiem for Methuselah'..There was no android in 'The Cloud Minders'..

I believe that the android Rayna that Kirk fell in love with was in the episode 'Requiem for Methuselah'..There was no android in 'The Cloud Minders'..

That's right Spacetigger.

Mrskirk, Vanna was the leader of the troglyte disrupters in "The Cloud Minders".

Caught Part I Lastnight.

And I Was Wondering...For Those Here That Saw This Episode Back In '66. What Was Your Reaction??

I Mean...You Were Just Watching Star Trek Like Always...Just Another Episode...But At The End...It Wasn't Resolved...You Got A "To Be Concluded Next Week". :unsure:

How'd Ya Take That?

There was no female android in "The Cloud Minders", the episode you are looking for is "Requiem for Methuselah" and the name of the android was indeed, Rayna. In the "Cloud Minders" Spock was very much interested in the magistrate's daughter, Droxine, who was introduced as a work of art, just to clear up the record.

T'Bree