Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

What's your ideal length for a movie?

I watched The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers tonight as it was a Christmas gift from a friend. I have to say, I loved the story, but this movie was waaay too long! :dude: So, that gave me the idea for this thread.

What's your ideal length for a movie?

I'd say anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours would be just the right length for a movie. The longest movie I'd see would be 3 hours, but the story has to draw me in the whole time.

You must have watched the extended edition, CJLP, if you sat for four hours. ROTK is the longest in the theater, coming in at 3 hrs 20 min or so.

Anyhoo, it depends on the movie for me. If I enjoy it, I don't mind the over-three-hours movies. But, in general, two hours and something is good. If it's a cartoon or a Pixar movie, an hour and a half is fine.

Usually I would say that 2 1/2 hours is a good length for a movie. Course if I'm really into it I don't mind it being longer..I too just saw The Return of the King..It was over 3 hours in length but I didn't mind because I was very much into the story..I can just imagine how long the extended version DVD will be..What got me was sitting thru 1/2 hour of commercials and previews before the movie! And no I'm not exaggerating!!

sitting in a cinema for 3 and half hours watching LOTR ----- argh!!!!! ---- sitting in a cinema for 3 hours watching 24 ----- better!!!

sitting in a cinema for 3 and half hours watching LOTR ----- argh!!!!! ---- sitting in a cinema for 3 hours watching 24 ----- better!!!

Yep. I can sit through 2 movies, or a Star Trek or Stargate marathon. However, a 4-hour movie? It should be re-named The Neverending Story. B)

Yep. I can sit through 2 movies, or a Star Trek or Stargate marathon. However, a 4-hour movie? It should be re-named The Neverending Story. B)

Depends on your point of view. I've been waiting a long time for these Lord of the Rings movies..I was happy to be in the theatre watching this great story unfold.!! Course I've read the books a couple of times so I'm really into the whole LOTR story..

these movies couldnt have been shorter, they were perfect. i have no preference in lengh just as long as the movie if fulfiling, if its too short i want to ring someones bell, if its too drawn out, same thing, bit i usually lean toward longer, for the adventure, fantasy movies, but some of the comedies are fine at one and a half to two hours. i cant wait to see the extended version of ROTK.

Probably 2-3 hours. Some movies need to be shorter, while others could use some additions to make the story flow better (Nemesis)

Let's see. If it's a movie with Patrick Stewart, it could be a 24-hour-movie, I wouldn't mind at all. :)

Ok, seriously (though I already was serious B) ). The ideal length for me would be 2 hours. I don't know why, that just seems to be the perfect time. :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

If it's extremely entertaining, I could handle a 4 hour sitting. Anything more would be overkill, imho. Ideal time for me would be 2-3 hours. I think it's hard to get a whole story into less than 2 hrs.

Edited by Ace

If it's extremely entertaining, I could handle a 4 hour sitting. Anything more would be overkill, imho. Ideal time for me would be 2-3 hours. I think it's hard to get a whole story into less than 2 hrs.

I agree, although I can't imagine a movie that could possible be entertaining for a complete 4-hour-block. Just too much time for one story on TV.

1 1/2 hours works for a short movie, 2 hours is ideal, 2 1/2 hours rocks, and 3 hours would be the perfect length for a movie, I think. :dude:

Two hours is a good length for a movie. However, I did not have trouble sitting through the Lord of the Rings films I have seen. I had trouble tearing myself away....

About 2 hours and 20 minutes is absolutely perfect. I hate, and I mean HATE, the non-comedy movies that go for 1 hour 30 minutes. That is sooo cheap! Like Jurassic Park 3! (But that was so bad that I don't think I could sit through another 30 minutes of that! Haha!). But these 1.5 hour movies make me so angry. It's not about telling a good story then, it's about making money. The only reason non-comedies go for 1.5 hours is so that they can run in the theatres more times a day. Very cheap indeed.

(And why I say non-comedies is because comedies are usually only 1.5 hours.)

Well, I agree with Bysty, 2 hours & 20 mins is pretty good. However, I loved JP3. What was so bad? My opinion as to it being much shorter than JP2 was due to a short set-up and jumping right into the action. :dude: Not all movies have to be 2 hours, as long as it's 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 huurs, I'm good, with 3 hours being the longest I could sit for. :lol:

If felt so ripped off by JP3. It had zero story, really bad acting, and I just plain didn't like it. They seem to have tried too hard. And 1 1/2 hours? Not worth the money I paid to see it in theatres. The only JP movie I'd consider buying would be the first one. The rest don't appeal to me.