Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Military Rules For The Non-military Personnel

This was e-mailed to me by Luvin1stdegree, I found it amusing and I especially liked the quotes at the ending. It's in a Spoiler box only because of some mild profanity and I don't want anyone to be offended by it. It's mild though.

>> Dear Civilians, We know that the current state of affairs in our great

> nation have many civilians up in arms and excited to join the military. For

> those of you who can't join, you can still lend a hand. Here are a few of

> the areas we would like your assistance:

>

> 1) The next time you see an adult talking (or wearing a hat) during the

> playing of the National Anthem ... kick their *buttocks*.

>

> 2) When you witness firsthand someone burning the American Flag in

> protest... kick their *buttocks*.

>

> 3) Regardless of the rank they held while they served, pay the highest

> amount of respect to all veterans. If you see anyone doing otherwise,

> quietly pull them aside and explain how these Veterans fought for the very

> freedom they bask in every second. Enlighten them on the many sacrifices

> these Veterans made to make this Nation great. Then hold them down while a

> Disabled Veteran kicks their *buttocks*.

>

> 4) (GUYS) If you were never in the military, DO NOT pretend that you were.

> Wearing battle dress uniforms (BDU's), telling others that you used to be

> "Special Forces," and collecting GI Joe memorabilia, might have been okay if

> you were still seven. Now, it will only make you look stupid and get your

> *buttocks* kicked.

>

> 5) Next time you come across an Air Force member, do not ask them, "Do you

> fly a jet?" Not everyone in the Air Force is a pilot. Such ignorance

> deserves an *buttocks* kicking (children are exempt).

>

> 6) If you witness someone calling the U.S. Coast Guard non military, inform

> them of their mistake...and kick their *buttocks*.

>

> 7) Roseanne Barr's singing of the National Anthem is not a blooper...it was

> a disgrace and disrespectful. Laugh, and sooner or later your *buttocks* will be

> kicked.

>

> 8) Next time Old Glory (U.S. flag) prances by during a parade, get on your

> damn feet and pay homage to her by placing your hand over your heart.

> Quietly thank the military member or veteran lucky enough to be carrying

> her...of course, failure to do either of those could earn you a severe *buttocks*

> kicking.

>

> 9) What Jane Fonda did during the Vietnam War makes her the enemy. The

> proper word to describe her is "traitor." Just mention her nomination for

> "Woman of the Year" and get your *buttocks* kicked.

>

> 10) Don't try to discuss politics with a military member or a veteran. We

> are Americans and we all bleed the same regardless of our party affiliation.

>

> Our Chain of Command, is to include our commander in Chief. The President

> (for those who didn't know) is our CIC regardless of political party.

>

> We have no inside track on what happens inside those big important buildings

> where all those representatives meet. All we know is that when those

> civilian representatives screw up the situation, they call upon the military

> to go straighten it out. The military member might direct you to Oliver

> North. (I can see him kicking your *buttocks* already.)

>

> 11) "Your mama wears combat boots" never made sense to me ... stop saying

> it! If she did, she would most likely be a vet and therefore, could kick

> your *buttocks*!

>

> 12) Bin Laden and the Taliban are not communists, so stop saying "Let's go

> kill those Commie's!!!" And stop asking us where he is!!!! Crystal balls

> are not standard issue in the military. That reminds me ... if you see

> anyone calling those damn psychic phone numbers; let me know, so I can go

> kick their *buttocks*.

>

> 13) Flyboy (Air Force), Jar Head (Marines), Grunt (Army), Squid (Navy) etc.,

> are terms of endearment we use describing each other. Unless you are a

> service member or vet, you have not earned the right to use them. That could

> get your *buttocks* kicked.

>

> 14) Last but not least, whether or not you become a member of the military,

> support our troops and their families. Every Thanksgiving and religious

> holiday that you enjoy with family and friends, please remember that there

> are literally thousands of sailors and troops far from home wishing they

> could be with their families. Thank God for our military and the sacrifices

> they make every day. Without them, our country would get its *buttocks* kicked.

>

> "It is the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us the freedom of the

> press.

>

> It is the Soldier, not the poet, Who has given us the freedom of speech.

>

> It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, Who gives us the freedom to

> demonstrate.

>

> It is the Soldier Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and

> Whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the

> flag."

>

>

> (Authored by:) Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC

> (Please pass this on so I won't have to kick your *buttocks*!)

>

Thank you for posting this but, and this is where it gets dicey, if members of our military are fighting for our "rights", then part of those rights are being able to disagree and protest without fear of getting our butts kicked. You can't choke the voice of desent in this country without being guilty of the very crimes you say you are fighting against. I come from a military family and recently had a brother retire after serving over 30 years in the Air Force. Many times he told me it was my right and duty to protest against what I perceive as a wrong even if it's our own government or any of its branches. This all goes in cycles and even though we are in a hugh conservative swing at the moment, the day will come when the pendulum will surely swing the other way. Be careful who you call traitor or non-patriot today for one day it might be you on the other end of the tirade.

Be careful who you call traitor or non-patriot today for one day it might be you on the other end of the tirade.

I think you took the above "poem" a little more seriously then was intended, though the only part of it that calls someone a traitor is below:

9) What Jane Fonda did during the Vietnam War makes her the enemy. The proper word to describe her is "traitor." Just mention her nomination for "Woman of the Year" and get your *buttocks* kicked.

This statement is true, she gave aide and comfort to the North Vietnamese during a time of military hostilities. The only thing that could have prevented her prosocution for treason is the fact that it was not a delcared war. Had it been she surely could have been prosocuted and if convicted exocuted. There is even a photo of her, in North Vietnam wearing the helmet of an NVA soldier and sitting in an NVA anti-aircraft gun looking through the sights.

Protest is one thing, collobrating with the enemy is quite another.

I like the way the poem ends...

"It is the Soldier, not the reporter Who has given us the freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet, Who has given us the freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, Who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and Whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Just keep in mind, the meaning of the poem is to point out that it is the Soldiers and Vets that are and were responsible for safe guarding and dying for all of our freedoms. The way the poem was worded was (I'm sure) meant strictly to be humorous.

I, as a Vet took great delight in many aspects of it and I'm sure others did as well.

When I heard that Jane Fonda was nominated for woman of the year,I was outraged! How can a traitor be honored like that. I have absolutly no respect for that woman,she proved she is not a friend to this country. Did you know that when she met with American POW's over there one of the POW's slipped her a small note on paper telling her they were being abused,and she then gave the note to the Vietnamese officer.That POW was beaten later for what he did.As far as I'm concerned that b*tch should be in prison!

?

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer, Who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, and Whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Just keep in mind, the meaning of the poem is to point out that it is the Soldiers and Vets that are and were responsible for safe guarding and dying for all of our freedoms. The way the poem was worded was (I'm sure) meant strictly to be humorous.

I, as a Vet took great delight in many aspects of it and I'm sure others did as well.

With all due respect in regards to the poem quoted, the soldier gave us none of those rights. The very rights we so proudly expouse were given to us by our country's founders, very few of whom were soldiers. They were written, amended and ratified by citizens who were not soldiers, but farmers, politicians, and ordinary folk. The soldier is part of our national defense and not the policy makers or enforcers. All of these rights were granted to us by ourselves. Those in power are granted the power to govern by the governed and can be taken back or readdressed as the citizens see fit and the soldier has nothing to do with it. If you were to look at the constituion and those areas that specify our rights as citizens, you will see that our forefathers has a suspicion and distrust of the military even back then. The part about not having to billet soldiers, foreign or domestic, inside our private homes was a direct assault to the military thinking of the day and stands to this day. Yes, the flag drapes the coffin of those who served in the military of this country, whether they fell in battle or not, as well it should. But it also drapes the coffins of those citizens who have served this country in ways that are not militaristic in nature and have been recognized by those who see country serving deeds as what they are. Again I state that I grew up with family members serving this country as soldiers but the soldier does not grant me through their intervention, the rights already specified to me that are written in the constitution. They are there primarily for the national defense and nothing more.

That's great! As a daughter of a WWII vet (U.S. Army Air Corp, aka U. S. Air Force), I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

?

With all due respect in regards to the poem quoted, the soldier gave us none of those rights. The very rights we so proudly expouse were given to us by our country's founders, very few of whom were soldiers. They were written, amended and ratified by citizens who were not soldiers, but farmers, politicians, and ordinary folk. The soldier is part of our national defense and not the policy makers or enforcers. All of these rights were granted to us by ourselves. Those in power are granted the power to govern by the governed and can be taken back or readdressed as the citizens see fit and the soldier has nothing to do with it. If you were to look at the constituion and those areas that specify our rights as citizens, you will see that our forefathers has a suspicion and distrust of the military even back then. The part about not having to billet soldiers, foreign or domestic, inside our private homes was a direct assault to the military thinking of the day and stands to this day. Yes, the flag drapes the coffin of those who served in the military of this country, whether they fell in battle or not, as well it should. But it also drapes the coffins of those citizens who have served this country in ways that are not militaristic in nature and have been recognized by those who see country serving deeds as what they are. Again I state that I grew up with family members serving this country as soldiers but the soldier does not grant me through their intervention, the rights already specified to me that are written in the constitution. They are there primarily for the national defense and nothing more.

In a sense you are correct, it was the founding fathers that "gave" us freedom of speach or religion etc.

BUt think of it this way also, The Declaration and the Constitution were written by these men. Was it the paper alone that gave us these rights?

No, The Declaration of Independence was written and signed in 1776. At the moment it was written it was both meaningful and meaningless. Priceless and worthless. It was simply a parchment with words on it.

It didn't really mean anything and it wasn't really priceless until the Soldiers died to ensure those words would become the law of the land.

Go back and take all the Soldiers out of the picture and we wouldn't have these rights, founding fathers or not.

Again though, I think you are missing the point of what's being said. What's being said is that without these Soldiers our rights would have been dismissed long ago.

Read it figuratively, not litteraly.

Go back and take all the Soldiers out of the picture and we wouldn't have these rights, founding fathers or not.

The soldiers my not have given us our rights, but it is they who shed their blood to preserve those rights, so that ALL US citizens may enjoy living in freedom!

?

In a sense you are correct, it was the founding fathers that "gave" us freedom of speach or religion etc.

BUt think of it this way also, The Declaration and the Constitution were written by these men. Was it the paper alone that gave us these rights?

No, The Declaration of Independence was written and signed in 1776. At the moment it was written it was both meaningful and meaningless. Priceless and worthless. It was simply a parchment with words on it.

It didn't really mean anything and it wasn't really priceless until the Soldiers died to ensure those words would become the law of the land.

Again though, I think you are missing the point of what's being said. What's being said is that without these Soldiers our rights would have been dismissed long ago.

I'm afraid that you and I will never see eye to eye on this subject so lets just agree to disagree. My view and studies of history are obvously quite different from yours. The idea of soldiers, especially professional soldiers, giving me rights is totally abhorant to my way of thinking. Perhaps it's because I grew up during the Vietnam era, but I do not trust the soldier or military to grant me anything except what they want to at gunpoint. I prefer to trust in the constitution, the law of the land, to grant me rights. Even our commander in chief is a civilian and one doesn't always have to shed blood for an ideal.

Well thats just wrong,if not for the soldiers this country would have been overrun by the Nazis or the Russians,you would not have the freedoms you enjoy today.The Constitution would have been used to light Hitlers cigars.Without the military this country would crumble and be easy pickens for some crazed dictator.You should be thankful there are people willing to die so you can enjoy your life at home.

I am honored to have worn the uniform of the U.S.Army and I'm very proud of those who still wear it today.

?

I'm afraid that you and I will never see eye to eye on this subject so lets just agree to disagree. My view and studies of history are obvously quite different from yours. The idea of soldiers, especially professional soldiers, giving me rights is totally abhorant to my way of thinking. Perhaps it's because I grew up during the Vietnam era, but I do not trust the soldier or military to grant me anything except what they want to at gunpoint. I prefer to trust in the constitution, the law of the land, to grant me rights. Even our commander in chief is a civilian and one doesn't always have to shed blood for an ideal.

We can disagree on this point yes, and no harm in that. Military blood was shed so that we could disagree on any point. I myself have a cousin that was killed in Vietnam and while I was just a baby and only barely remember Vietnam I know it wasn't the Military that got us involved there. It was the Civilian leadership.

For me, the Military has never done anything to earn my distrust, it is the civilian leadership that deploys the military and controls the military.

I myself was a soldier and served in the military so I personally know of the small sacrifices made on a daily basis by people pledged to lay down their lives for this country, should they be called upon to do so. I have personal knowledge of Thanksgivings away from home and living in a tent for weeks at a time.

And again, I believe you are reading too much into the Literal words. It's the figurative meaning if the words that you should try to understand.

Like or dislike the military, trust or distrust them. It doesn't matter. Arlington will be just as full with or without your support or acknowledgment of their sacrifices.

Be careful who you call traitor or non-patriot today for one day it might be you on the other end of the tirade.

I think you took the above "poem" a little more seriously then was intended, though the only part of it that calls someone a traitor is below:

9) What Jane Fonda did during the Vietnam War makes her the enemy. The proper word to describe her is "traitor." Just mention her nomination for "Woman of the Year" and get your *buttocks* kicked.

This statement is true, she gave aide and comfort to the North Vietnamese during a time of military hostilities. The only thing that could have prevented her prosocution for treason is the fact that it was not a delcared war. Had it been she surely could have been prosocuted and if convicted exocuted. There is even a photo of her, in North Vietnam wearing the helmet of an NVA soldier and sitting in an NVA anti-aircraft gun looking through the sights.

Protest is one thing, collobrating with the enemy is quite another.

I like the way the poem ends...

wasnt this touched on in the DS9 episode "Wrongs darker than night" (something like that?)

when Kira uses the Orb of Time and sees what happened with her mother.

VBG: I have read that poem somewhere else long ago; but it still holds true today.

I'm a disabled Air Force Veteran, having served during the VietNam conflict. Personally, I enjoyed the speech that Jim Carey's character gave to the Senate Sub-committee on Un-American activities near the end of "The Majestic."

Paraphrased: "It's true that the Constitution is nothing more than a contract with signatures at the bottom. But, it's a contract that can not be broken. Too many people gave their lives preserving that contract."

It's true that civilians order the military to battle; however, those civilians have military advisors. How many of our Presidents were military men? During my lifetime, there was Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bush (sr), Clinton, and Bush (jr).

We may disagree with what our elected leaders have done or not done, but we have to remember one thing, we the people have put them in office, thanks to our Freedoms. Freedoms fought for by our military men and women. They deserve better than what they've been getting.

It's true that civilians order the military to battle; however, those civilians have military advisors. How many of our Presidents were military men? During my lifetime, there was Eisenhower, Kennedy, Bush (sr), Clinton, and Bush (jr).

Clinton was never in the military, in fact he had written letters in his lifetime saying that he dispised and loathed the military. He was also someone that could be labled a "draft dodger" because of another letter he wrote. But those are issues for another topic.

Eisenhower and Kennedy are both before my time but during my lifetime Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush (sr), and Bush (jr). all served in the military.

That is so true. A lot of people seems to think that If you are in the Air Force you automatically fly . Only a small percentage of USAF personnel actually fly.

Edited by Admiral Kirk

That is so true. A lot of people seems to think that If you are in the Air Force you automatically fly .  Only a small percentage of USAF personnel actually fly.

Yeah and an even smaller amount fly fighter jets, but the image of the Air Force (for a lot of people) is the fighter jock in an F-15 or F-16.

With all due respect in regards to the poem quoted, the soldier gave us none of those rights.  The very rights we so proudly expouse were given to us by our country's founders, very few of whom were soldiers. more.

They could not do such a thing if it wasn't for the brave souls who gave their lives in the American Revolution. so, yes, the Soldier DID give us all of these, because without their sacrifice, there would be no USA.

Last year a good friend of mine was shipped out. She left behind a baby brother, friends, family, and school. She also left behind the man she had fallen in love with. When I think there are very few things I would give up love for, but freedom is one of them. (Army)

On March 1st someone especially close to me will report to his base whereby he will be sent overseas. He doesn't know where or for how long, but I know he will go and stay willingly as long as it takes. He will leave love to go serve his country and he will do so with his head held high. (Air Force)

I have the upmost respect for people like this and others. I honestly don't think I have the emotional strength and courage it takes to be a member of the Armed Forces. Since I myself I cannot serve I have to be content to stay here and revel in the freedom these people have left home to preserve. I shall sit here waiting daily for the emails and letters that are too few and far between, knowing that my replies may just make the day of those people I care about, and sometimes those around you.

~~{Hathor}~~

Angela Kay and Chris: I love you. Stay safe.

I shall sit here waiting daily for the emails and letters that are too few and far between, knowing that my replies may just make the day of those people I care about, and sometimes those around you.

Trust me, letters from home are very important. Even if you are only 2 or 3 States away they are the highlight of the day.

I've got to say, just as important as family members getting letters from deployed servicemen...actually, more so, is the servicemen getting letters from their families. "Letters from Home" by John Micheal Montgomery shows this very well. when I was out on the sub, what kept me going was the 40-word Family Grams. they told me what was happening every week. when I was in the gulf almost a year ago, I'd get e-mails from home, and it was the best thing in the world. imagine being in a world where death could come from anywhere. those letters from home are a welcome relief from the everyday grind.