Sign in to follow this  
Captain Bolivar

Man to the Moon!

Wow, I'm glad to hear this news. I wasn't around for the first landing on the moon so I'd like to see it for myself. Who knows, we might find ourselves going to Mars soon! That will be great! Note: I edited this post to remove some controversial content. Edited by Captain Bolivar

I think it's great if it happens, but I'll wait to see things start taking shape before I start to believe it's happening. Also, where do I sign up?? lol

That would be sweet. (And I think you guys should take a Canadian with you). Haha.

But....... that could cause a problem like in a commercial here in Canada for Molson Canadian beer. It's hillarious. I'll try to find a link to it or something. Hold on...

Lol. No. The only Canadian astronauts have to go through NASA.

EDIT: Actually I think there is something. I'm just not sure what it is called. But it is to train astronauts and to send them to NASA for missions i believe.

I found a link to the commercial!!!!!!

Go to http://www.bensimonbyrne.com/LatestWork/index.html and click on the first one, which is entitled "Man on the Moon." Then you'll see how awesome it is. And, yes, this does have to do with this topic.

That is hilarious, even though I can not view it with sound at work, it was still so funny. I will have to check it out next week when I get my cable connection at home.

I would actually consider voting for Bush if he made the committment to go back to the moon, and beyond. We need something to inspire American young people to excellence in science, math, and engineering again.

I found a link to the commercial!!!!!!

Go to http://www.bensimonbyrne.com/LatestWork/index.html and click on the first one, which is entitled "Man on the Moon." Then you'll see how awesome it is. And, yes, this does have to do with this topic.

That is hilarious, even though I can not view it with sound at work, it was still so funny. I will have to check it out next week when I get my cable connection at home.

i told you. its one of my favorites. molson has amazing commercials, at least here in Canada. ive seen a few molson export commercials. those are weak. but molson Canadian commercials. they rock.

Anyways... lol.

I would actually consider voting for Bush if he made the committment to go back to the moon, and beyond. We need something to inspire American young people to excellence in science, math, and engineering again.

i know something thats inspiring me to do good so i can get a good job: lots of money. lol.

yeah that would be great i would love to see it and ive always asked why we havent yet. but whats everyone talking about? someone actually saying we are going back?

I'll be happy if this actually happens, but I question the timing of the announcement...seems like yet another Bushie political stunt, especially since the actual mission may not happen until 2018 or so.

I don't think it matters if it's a political stunt or not. The entire Apollo program was a political stunt by the Kennedy (then Johnson) adminstrations.

I say f that's what it takes to get it done then so be it.

i know something thats inspiring me to do good so i can get a good job: lots of money. lol.

I teach lots of engineering students who want the grades that would make them a top prospect for a future employer, but they are not interested in mastering a subject, and learning for the sake of their own intellectual growth. They cajole and manipulate and beg for grades, but try to put forth as little effort as possible to get the grade.

They are not inspired by wanting to be a part of anything bigger than a suburban middle class future.

When I was young in the 60's and the 70's I actually wanted to be an astronaut, and sought personal excellence. I wanted to know and understand the wonderful events involved with space travel. It became a habit, doing things well, and learning with the goal of mastery. I never became an astronaut, but I gained intellectual depth, and I am not starving.

I am hoping a return to space could rekindle the kind of interest that drives people to seek for a deeper understanding and personal excellence.

I have been hoping for something like this for a long time. I feel before there will ever be a mission to mars we should have a moon base. We need to gain knowledge and experience of what it's like to actual live on the surface of another planet. Being a Trek fan and loving the thought of space travel and exploration it has been really depressing to have nothing but a couple of unmannned exploratory missions in my lifetime. Although they were still very interesting. The mars lander would of been awesome if it had transmitted back sound.. The knowledge we have gained from the galileo probe and such has been tremendous. I loved learning about all the moons of jupiter. Nothing however, will compare to actual space travel and I will be thrilled beyond words if this actually happens and my daughter will be able to see, if I dont, a mission to Mars. Have any of you checked out space.com? One of my favorite sites...

I teach lots of engineering students who want the grades that would make them a top prospect for a future employer, but they are not interested in mastering a subject, and learning for the sake of their own intellectual growth. They cajole and manipulate and beg for grades, but try to put forth as little effort as possible to get the grade.

They are not inspired by wanting to be a part of anything bigger than a suburban middle class future.

When I was young in the 60's and the 70's I actually wanted to be an astronaut, and sought personal excellence. I wanted to know and understand the wonderful events involved with space travel. It became a habit, doing things well, and learning with the goal of mastery. I never became an astronaut, but I gained intellectual depth, and I am not starving.

I am hoping a return to space could rekindle the kind of interest that drives people to seek for a deeper understanding and personal excellence.

i always try my best at whatever i do. i always give it all i have. and if i am interested in something, i take a lot of time just to learn about that thing.

I agree with what many of you have said about a commitment to going back into space providing incentive for younger individuals to strive harder to learn.

If I understand what's going on - they intend to abandon the space station.  Isn't that a lot of work just to drop it?

Stardate:213934.9

Abandon the Station......why?????

i always try my best at whatever i do. i always give it all i have. and if i am interested in something, i take a lot of time just to learn about that thing.

Then my post does not apply to you. This is not a personal attack on you. I applaud you for your personal motivation and personal goals toward excellence.

I am trying to convey the fact that when the space program was focused on going toward the moon, many young people in science and technical fields were inspired toward excellence because they wanted to be a part of that future. ( And many were inspired to go into these fields). There was also a lot of studying to master concepts, to be able to be a part of a creative future that required a level of excellence, and expertise.

Currently my very best students need no outside motivation to keep them doing their best. But the average college student I see has my concern, in that he/she focuses on the next test, the next grade, but not the area of knowledge. I have people with decent SAT scores and poor basic skills, and who want to figure out the least they have to do to pass a test. This is prevalent in the culture. Not too long ago people studied everything , and then took a test. The average student still had a solid level of excellence. Now people want to study only what is going to be on that particular test. The loss of learning that occurs by taking this approach to studying is profound.

If there were a reason to study, something inspiring, something to rekindle the joy of learning and mastery, I believe that would go a long way in turning things around. The space program was once a source of inspiration. Perhaps it could be again for students in science and technical fields. That is my point.

Edited by mjham