Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Saucer Seperation

The yellow thing, I'm assuming to be the quantum torpedoe launcher, would be the front of the engineering hull, if seperated. What are all those red, curvy lines? The Enterprise-E probably couldn't saucer seperate, but John Eaves designed it so it "could" if the script called for it. If you have Star Trek: First Contact on DVD, you can get a good look at what I'm talking about. Find a scene that gives us a close up on the quantum torpedoe launcher. You can see that there's this "crevice" where the engineering hull meets the saucer, as if there were some kind of seperation line, instead of having the smooth meld of the two sections like Voyager. However, it's entirely possible that, due to the Enterprise-E having so much detail, that's just how the two sections connect.

In conclusion: Since the engineering hull does not have an impulse engine, I think the Entreprise-E would saucer seperate for the same reason the Ent-D did in Generations, to save the saucer section in the event of a warp core breach, loss of anti-matter containment, or some other catastrophe. Save the saucer instead of loosing the entire ship. Assuming the ship could seperate, does anyone agree with this reason for saucer seperation?

I would agree that saving the crew would be the main purpose of the seperation-system. But at the same time there is now doubt in my mind that the ship was also disigned with the intention of keeping families safe and a mutli-vector attack (why else would they have a battle bridge?) to a battle, and several other purposes we simply didn't see with the NCC-1701-D.

The yellow thing, I'm assuming to be the quantum torpedoe launcher, would be the front of the engineering hull, if seperated. 

Nope, I scanned it from my files I recived from a friend that lives in Europe. The page I scanned it from is a section about the Enterprise-E, it was designed and co-wrote by the people who brought you Star Trek. The yellow thing is a torpetoe launcher seen in First Contact. Its the page that shows the weapons, like for example that picture also shows the pahser strip in red. If you look at Voyager from its side it looks like it can also. Even by picture under my name came from the same place.

Edited by Tattoo

The bottom of the saucer section only has 4 phaser strips to my knowledge, maybe 6. The forward quantum torpedoe launcher and captain's yacht appear to be the front of the engineering section. Oh, as for Voyager, there is not a single angle I can think of where the saucer looks like it could detatch.

Here's a pic of the front of the engineering section:

ente.jpg

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

The bottom of the saucer section only has 4 phaser strips to my knowledge, maybe 6.  The forward quantum torpedoe launcher and captain's yacht appear to be the front of the engineering section.  Oh, as for Voyager, there is not a single angle I can think of where the saucer looks like it could detatch.

Here's a pic of the front of the engineering section:

ente.jpg

Its the design. See the window the is towrds the from of the underside? it is toofar in the middle. The back of the ship has to have a impulse engine on the spin of the ship. How do you think why the oth sausar and stardrive had of Enterprise-D have one. Yet the Enterprise-E only has it on the saucer? As I said it could be the design of the ship. As others have said above the saucer can be used as an escape pod. But the reason olkders can is because The Consiution class never really had them. This ship does sperate. I know the guy who came up with the specs of the ship. Also note that in later movies a second shuttle bay appeared. So wouldn't there be a shuttle bay on the saucer?

You know John Logan? :blink: Tell us how! :lol:

As for the Ent-E saucer seperating, since the engineering section doesn't have an impulse engine, then I would see it as a "save the saucer" situation, instead of using escape pods and loosing the entire ship, allthrough we do know the ship has escape pods as they can be seen on the hull and in ST:FC.

I've read back in the topic and yes, the Ent-E was designed with separation capability in mind. I have the pic CJLP is referring to - it's one of the original design sketches, and it was printed in an issue of Star Trek the Magazine. I'm too lazy to get up and check which issue right now, but I think I know a site with the same pic. I'll get back to y'all on that.

Now, like I said, it was a design sketch. Some consider it to be canon fact, others will wait til it's on-screen. Either way is fine, but I believe it can separate.