Sign in to follow this  
adm. stickler

What is a sonic shower

Star Trek: Voyager - Season 5 - "Juggernaut"

At the very end, after B'Elanna's horrific experrience on a Malon ship, we see her taking a shower (no she's not naked on screen), and that's when we see the sonic shower. Basically, it's like water being sprayed from all directions, floating arround, scrubbing your body. Very cool looking. This was also the only time we saw a sonic shower.

A sonic cleans by using high frequency sound waves that disintegrate the dirt and grease on the outside of the skin. This eliminates the need to create water and then have to recycle it which would waste energy aboard a starship.

Don't they use a sonic chamber to clean fine jewelry? I thought I had heard that - it avoids the use of water and chemicals that can be damaging. VOY did have water showers - at least Neelix had a bath - and I think TNG had water as well.

Creating water in space is an easy thing to do, it's a by-product of Hydrogen fuel cells used to create electricity.

It is a combination of both water & sound. The water is suspended (and DRIVEN) by the sound waves to clean. The technology now exists in some toothbrushes and very expensive dishwashers. (And jewelry as TUH added.)

Edited by Alterego

Creating water in space is an easy thing to do, it's a by-product of Hydrogen fuel cells used to create electricity.

It is a combination of both water & sound. The water is suspended (and DRIVEN) by the sound waves to clean. The technology now exists in some toothbrushes and very expensive dishwashers. (And jewelry as TUH added.)

This is the most logical idea I've heard for the sonic shower. THANKS! ;)

I thought that when V'Ger returned the probe copy of Ilia in STTMP that the probe appeared in the sonic shower in Ilia's quarters...

I thought that when V'Ger returned the probe copy of Ilia in STTMP that the probe appeared in the sonic shower in Ilia's quarters...

You're correct, but we didn't see the sonic shower in action, we just saw her step out after it had turned off.

but we didn't see the sonic shower in action

I'm not sure about that. Through the glass door, I believe sound patterns are visible because of the water, the water is being suspended in the shape of the sound waves. If I remember correctly; the patterens looked like little diamond shapes, that could be said to be "seeing it in action".

I don't remember the shapes, but I remember that she was surrounded by red lines, turned around, the robe just "appeared" on her (must be that on demand clothing replicator/transporter bit :rolleyes:) and she stepped out of the shower.