Sign in to follow this  

Colorful Metaphors

We all know about ST4, and the "double dumb@$$ on you", but were there any others? What I mean is that it seemed in TNG like they would use "bad" words just because they could...example... In Hide and Q, when Wesley is impaled, Riker shouts "DAMNIT! DAMNIT DAMNIT TO HELL!!"

Thats not exactly the proper use of the word damnit in my opinion. I say "Damnit to hell!" if I'm changing the oil in my truck, and I drop the filter, or for something equally annoying. Not when something terrible happens. Can anyone think of other examples? Data's comment when the saucer section was crashing was appropriate. I'm talking about improper use of the swear...if there is such a thing. lol

I dont know if it was improper or not but didn't McCoy on a couple of occasions say: dammit Jim...? Along with the examples you gave that's all I can remember.

Stardate:213893.8

It seems to me that Ent so far has done the best job in that department.Trip cusses every onve in a while and he saus everything besides fu** and does a good job of it.Makes the show more realistic IMO

yes, ENT....being the closest to our naval and military traditions, im typing after being influenced by movies where they say F$*^$@ to everything, but ENT does a good job of "familyising" it....with the odd curse here and there. Other than that i dont know any other inappropriate swears

You can tell that people in the 23rd and 24th centuries don't swear often...because they don't know how,its obvious when they do so on screen.All of these examples are proof.

That could be a good thing.

Though,to be honest two-thirds of my vocabulary would be lost if I suddenly couldn't use,er,"colorful metaphors".....but hey,I was raised by US Army world war 2 vet and retired drill instructor.I think my dad cursed while praying at night. :eek:

Well... I like swearing, I do it a lot myself, so I can handle it when I see it on TV. Even Jean-Luc, believe it or not, uses to swear sometimes B)

Here are some examples:

"Damnit, Geordi, I... I know what we have to do!" (All Good Things)

"Not good enough, damnit, not good enough!" (Yesterday's Enterprise)

"Shut off that damn noise!" (Mission Farpoint - at least I think that was the episode)

"That is enough, damnit!" (Don't know which episode, I only have the soundfiles here ;) )

And then, of course, his favorite swearing expression: "Merde!" (French for "Sh..!" :laugh: ) - he used that in more than one episode.

But I'd never consider that as inappropriate. Maybe because I swear a lot, too... Hm... Could be the reason :laugh: :) B)

Mrs. Captain Picard

I am of the opinion that swearing is never appropriate or proper. That doesn't mean I explode when I hear it, though. I don't mind it so much as long as it's not every other word that comes out of a person's mouth.

As for swearing in Star Trek, I think it's hilarious! It almost never seems to fit. It's so funny to see them cursing because it looks like they're doing it just to fit it in there. I remember one time in Voyager (I think it was "Drive," but I'm not entirely sure), Kim just yelled out, "What the... (enter euphemism here) is going on here?!"

That pause he had was just so funny. It was almost as if he felt he had to swear there, so he had to pause for a few seconds to think of the "correct" word to insert.

They never seem to be comfortable when using swear words.

And another one that's always bugged me was in Star Trek: V. Why, oh why, did Spock swear? It was funny in The Voyage Home, but in The Final Frontier, it was just wrong.

Well... I like swearing, I do it a lot myself, so I can handle it when I see it on TV. Even Jean-Luc, believe it or not, uses to swear sometimes ;)

Here are some examples:

"Damnit, Geordi, I... I know what we have to do!" (All Good Things)

"Not good enough, damnit, not good enough!" (Yesterday's Enterprise)

"Shut off that damn noise!" (Mission Farpoint - at least I think that was the episode)

"That is enough, damnit!" (Don't know which episode, I only have the soundfiles here  B) )

And then, of course, his favorite swearing expression: "Merde!" (French for "Sh..!"  :laugh: ) - he used that in more than one episode.

But I'd never consider that as inappropriate. Maybe because I swear a lot, too... Hm... Could be the reason  :laugh:  B)  :o

Mrs. Captain Picard

Hi there :)

I don't mind swearing either, infact, I actually quite like it so I don't mind when its used on tv. I swear a bit too, although I hardly ever use the 'f' word (unless I'm really, really, really mad). I never considered damn or damnit as swear words, even though they are but they don't sound like swearing to me.

Data said sh- in Generations. Remember when Deanna was at the helm of the Enterprise and she is about to crash the ship into that planet.................and O'Brien said bl**dy hell in a season one episode of DS9. I can't remember the name of the episode but he was on a planet with someone else (not sure who it was) and he had to get rid of some monster that came out at night - or something similar anyway.

There isn't really much swearing in any Trek series. I guess the crew are too busy with other stuff to worry about swearing too much or maybe they do swear when we can't see them ;)

Linda