Sign in to follow this  
APW

A Veteran Honored

My family was a little surprised when the mail ran today.My mother received a large envelope from the White House.Inside was a certificate,signed by the President himself,reading:

The United States of America honors the memory of (my father's name).This certificate is awarded by a grateful nation in recognition of devoted and selfless consecration to the service of our country in the armed forces of the United States.

I suppose a lot of families who have lost a loved one,who also happened to be a veteran,receive such certificates.Still,reading it I felt so proud to be my father's son,that it actually brought a tear to me eye.I'm also proud to live in a country that so honors its servicemen,whether or not they passed on the battlefield.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fabl.gif

Edited by admiralpeewee

That's wonderful.

Not everybody gets one of those.Back when my dad died,my momma didn't get a certificate or anything from anybody.That's something special,kid.Tell your mama to put that up on the mantle next to unc's picture.

beautiful. I am actually starting to cry. :thumbs: :blink:

God Bless Peewee God Bless. I have actually suluted your little flag.

That is very special. My Dad died last year, and I don't think my Mom has received anything like that. He did receive a 21-gun salute at his funeral though, which was very impressive.

That's awesome,peewee.

No disrespect intended,but I wonder if they thought your dad died in Iraq,and sent that out?Because when my cousin Jim died during the Gulf War (he was a Marine),his mother received a very similar sounding document.

Either way,your dad was a serviceman and deserving of that certificate.

Stardate:213860.9

Right on Admiral Peewee :huh:

I also recieved one of those for my grandpa after he died in July.I wonder why they dont send them to everybody who's loved ones served in the armed forces?

I am truly sorry about the loss of your father. Yes, he obviously was a man of courage, and honor. You have every right to be very proud of him..............I bet he is very proud of you too.