Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Cleaned up special effects for TOS?

I was thinking, should TOS have special edition Season Sets in which the special effects, in space, are re-done? The reason for this, is that, from the TOS episode I've seen, the special effects with the ships in space and stuff looks a bit corrupted to me. What do you think about them re-doing the special effects in space, so they're crisp and clean, like the shots inside the ship and on planets and stuff, but still looking like it was shot in the 1960's with models and stuff?

I'd be all for it.But it may be cost prohibitive for Paramount to go in and do that to every episode.Of course,I don't understand why it should be,considering what they charge us for season sets :drool:

I'd love to own the complete TOS with cleaned-up effects,and maybe refreshed musical scores.

I could see that.Sort of the way George Lucas cleaned up the Star Wars films.They had badly deteriorated over the years,despite being kept in a special vault deep underground,so he gathered a group of his best people from Lucas Films and cleaned the films up,giving them a sharper,cleaner look.In fact,they came out looking much better than they had originally.Even if Star Trek doesn't add new scenes to the episodes (the way GL added new parts to his original trilogy),it would still be a worthwhile endeavor.I'd like to see it happen.

Edited by first_redneck_in_space

I think I prefer the shows being the way they are. Kind of like how original records are considered better than newer CD's. To me, cheesy and deteriorated effects is part of TOS.

I think I prefer the shows being the way they are.  Kind of like how original records are considered better than newer CD's.  To me, cheesy and deteriorated effects is part of TOS. 

yah yah, this is what i meant.....didnt explain myself....

ya i could go for some updated sfx. i cant stand the tos effects. lol

The idea isn't updated effects, but replicating the original so they look crisp and clean.

All adds up pretty much to the same thing,as far as I'm concerned.I'd like to see that.Of course,I'd still keep me old collection of TOS videos for nostalgia. :o

I'm curious to see how the new up-coming OS season sets on DVD will look, if the transfer is good looking enough without extra work then fine. If it looks crappy then they should do something to clean em up before releasing. (I'm sure they know to do it if necessary.) Off topic but I also want a special edition version on DVD with all new tricked out effects, the works. :thumbs:

I'm curious to see how the new up-coming OS season sets on DVD will look, if the transfer is good looking enough without extra work then fine. If it looks crappy then they should do something to clean em up before releasing. (I'm sure they know to do it if necessary.) Off topic but I also want a special edition version on DVD with all new tricked out effects, the works. ;)

I have to agree with you on that one. Just clean up anything that is not transferring well, and maybe digitally master them, then release a special edition with the updated effects.

I'm curious to see how the new up-coming OS season sets on DVD will look, if the transfer is good looking enough without extra work then fine. If it looks crappy then they should do something to clean em up before releasing. (I'm sure they know to do it if necessary.) Off topic but I also want a special edition version on DVD with all new tricked out effects, the works. ;)

I've heard from a pretty good sourse that the new TOS DVD sets WILL have NEW SFX.

I'm curious to see how the new up-coming OS season sets on DVD will look, if the transfer is good looking enough without extra work then fine. If it looks crappy then they should do something to clean em up before releasing. (I'm sure they know to do it if necessary.) Off topic but I also want a special edition version on DVD with all new tricked out effects, the works. :clap:

I've heard from a pretty good sourse that the new TOS DVD sets WILL have NEW SFX.

Sweet! ;) Any more details you could share, please?

By new FX do you mean the original FX touched up, or completely updated FX?

Myself, being a fan raised on TOS, I would be very upset and feel sort of insulted if the FX were totally redone, updated, and "modernized". I loved the show as it was.

i wouldnt be opposed to it, as long it is like the special effect updates in the tmp directors cut: nicely done and only something they were able to do at the time (however they can still be cg. they just have to look just like they originally did)