Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

How often do you take a vacation?

In conjunction with the other question about favorite vacation spots I was wondering how often do you go on vacation?

In 40 years I can only think of 3 'vacations' that I've taken. By 'Vacation' I mean where you leave your home/city/state/country for an extended point of time for the sole purpose of having fun.

I suppose I could count all the times I went on leave when I was in the Army and went back home to Maryland, but in my mind I don't count that as a vacation. On that line of thinking though I will count the 4 or 5 days after I got out of the Army and drove here to the Virginia Beach area. My brother had flown out to Texas to help me drive (I was exhausted after about 2 or 3 months of 18 to 20 hour days 7 days a week getting ready for the Gulf War).

We stopped in Dallas for a few days to go to Six Flags and then a Cowboys-Bucs game. Then stopped in Memphis to visit Graceland (Elvis' house).

Aside from that and the others that I mentioned in the other thread (Florida and Vegas) I haven't really taken vacations.

Full blown "vacations"?

Hardly ever. In fact, never. M prefers to get her yearly days off converted to cash which we then take & go on big "weekender" excursions. Same applies for tax time or anytime a big landfall of cash comes along. The longest time we've ever spent away from home is 3 days.

We have a use it or lose it vacation policy at work - so I use the days but I usually end up using the days for personal emergencies or just staying at home. But I use them every year

I try to go somewhere at least once a year. This year it's the coast. Next year, the coast. In 2011 I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon. Whether I'll get there or not remains to be seen.

Rarely. We once spent four days at Disneyland when the girls were fairly little. Then in 1999 we spent two weeks camping and visited a lot of the western National Parks. Then there was a health crisis and all fun pretty much stopped. Now about the only traveling we do is our twice-a-year visits to San Francisco for medical checkups.

This year, however, is an exception. My youngest daughter and I are going to the Las Vegas convention in three weeks. Then in September, my oldest daughter is getting married so we are traveling to California for that.

I've only been out in the real world for a year and in that time, I took off 1.5 days to drive up to Kansas. Yes, Kansas. It was to see the Aggies play a baseball series against Kansas State. I guess that's my vacation for this year. I want to see the Ags play a game in every Big 12 stadium, so I think I might try to travel to a new one every year. I have four down, so six to go. Add in the Big 12 tournament which I also would like to go to some day, and that makes seven years of small vacations in the future! Most games are played on the weekends, so that's really not much time off of work.

Oh... I had about a week off last year because of Hurricane Ike. Our building was without power. I spent the whole week in San Antonio bored to tears, so I don't consider it a real vacation, but it was definitely a vacation from work!

But before I entered the working world, we used to take family vacations at least once a year. A lot of the time, they were tied in with trips across country because with my dad in the Army, we moved a lot. So I got to see a lot of the country growing up. And when we lived in Kuwait, we got to get away to some pretty cool places.

It is very difficult for me to class holiday time as I travel alot with gliding club. Went in Easter to Scotland, Wales with a few friend for a weekend a few months ago, and three other gliding trips within the last year lasting between 2 to 5 days.

I usually like to go on proper vacation been Paris and Rome in the last 2 years and going Berlin this year.

Very rarely since I don't have the money to do it. Even a little weekend break thing I'd like to do but can't - day trips are all I can manage :superhappy: Apart from not being able to, most of the time I don't feel like it. Its nice to go away, but packing, unpacking and faffing is just too much... faff. I've had a couple of proper vacation/holidays and the odd weekend away (had one a few weeks ago for my mums friends wedding) but no proper vacations for... a few years. I was supposed to have one in september which isn't happening either.

Edited by Kerry