Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

We're having a heat wave

Just checked the the temp at weather.com:

95 with a heat index of 108 - I went out this morning and felt like I had entered a walk in oven. I"m not leaving this house agan - it's scary because as bad as cold is - more people usually die from the heat than the cold.

It helps if we know the city you are talking about.

Where I am the weather is slightly hot for this time of year, but still wtin normal parameters.

This is supposed to be a relatively cool summer This past winter was on the warm side, but within that warm winter there were periods of extreme cold (by SF Bay standards).

It helps if we know the city you are talking about.

If I'm not mistaken it's Central Florida, near Orlando?

It was in the 90's here today and the power went out for about 4 or 5 hours.

Here in Houston it's hot, hot, hot and we haven't had rain in quite a while. But that's pretty normal I think. I've only been living here for a year, but I've been living in Texas for seven.

Now when I lived in Kuwait, that was like sticking your head in an oven. I'll never forget the day we were scheduled to run the mile for our physical fitness whatever test. It was at least 120 outside. I walked all the laps in protest. I really didn't like that PE teacher in the first place, and this had just added to everything else.

Edited by ensign_beedrill

It's been in near or at 90 in my area of the state. To me, that's hot aplenty. Don't care for the humidity, for sure. The South is the South, and we can get pretty warm down here-comparatively speaking...

from weather.com

Areas from the Southern Plains to the lower-Mississippi Valley and Gulf Coast will continue to swelter under excessive heat and humidity.

Highs in the upper 90s to near 100 degrees will be widespread.

This includes Dallas, Texas, Tulsa, Okla., Memphis, Tenn., and New Orleans, La.

Tulsa is under an excessive heat warning.

The heat index will be well over 100 degrees in many areas.

Dothan, Ala., recorded a heat index of 113 degrees on Monday.

After some all time record heat (101 degrees) in cities like Vero Beach, Florida, may see slightly lower temperatures over the next few days.

Only isolated thunderstorms are expected to dot the region.

Scattered thunderstorms are forecast across Florida.

i live a few minutes out from chicago, it's already 9 in the morning it's already 84 outside with a high of 93....and it's going to remain hot all week despite possible severe weather tomorrow and thrusday

GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is it people only worry about global warming in the summer? And where were these prophets of doom when it was snowing on the California coast a matter of months ago?

It is about 87 degrees here. Not quite a heat wave but enough to consider going to the beach this weekend.

Why is it people only worry about global warming in the summer? And where were these prophets of doom when it was snowing on the California coast a matter of months ago?

theoretically global warming can result in colder temps in some locales - melting ice cools down ocean currents affecting adjacent land masses.

Whatever the reason - ice caps are melting and seasons (as in migratory, hatching, planting, blooming, etc) have been altered. No doubt something will adapt.

Low nineties today in Chicago area, with similar forcast tomorrow. High humidity makes it feel even warmer. Lots of people coming to library to enjoy the free air conditioning. Cooling down to the mid eighties lter this week. Still too hot for me.

Why is it people only worry about global warming in the summer?

That's when it is most visible. I mean the Earth is heating up, can't you feel it? :laugh: For what it's worth, I had hoped the multitude of exclamation marks would convey sarcasm. I saw snow twice last year, once in College Station, Texas and once here in Houston. I got out my old snow clothes and ran around. And Dallas had some pretty bad icy/snowy weather.