Sign in to follow this  
Takara_Soong

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian members

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Don't stuff yourselves too much or you might end up like this otherwise. Green.gif

Edited by Takara_Soong

Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving?Well then,Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

What's the holiday about up in the Great White North?Not the Pilgrims at Plymouth colony,or...is it the same? :huh:I'm confused.... :)

Edited by mr_tinkles

Stardate:213781.9

Yeh i was wondering the same thing.I had always though Thanksgiving was an American Holiday :)

Well anyways Happy Thanksgiving to our neighbors up north!!!

To be honest, I have no idea what the reason is that we celebrate Thanksgiving so I did a little research and found the following:

History

The first North American Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1578 when the English Navigator, Martin Frobisher, held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland. He did this to give thanks for surviving the long sea journey, and other settlers arrived in Newfoundland, and the tradition was continued by them.

In 1879, Parliament declared November 6th a national holiday of Thanksgiving. Over the years this date changed, and on January 31, 1957, Parliament declared the second Monday in October of each year to be "A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed".

Facts

Long ago, before the first Europeans arrived in North America, the farmers in Europe held celebrations at harvest time. To give thanks for their good fortune and the abundance of food, the farm workers filled a curved goat's horn with fruit and grain. This symbol was called a cornucopia or horn of plenty. When they came to Canada they brought this tradition with them.

During the American Revolution, Americans who remained loyal to England moved to Canada where they brought the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. There are many similarities between the two Thanksgivings such as the cornucopia and the pumpkin pie. For dinner, the turkey or/and ham is the featured food.

My family had our dinner Sunday of ham and scalloped potatoes (hmmm) although I prefer turkey. Unfortunately my daughter won't eat turkey so we have ham. sigh

Edited by Takara_Soong

Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving?

We sure do! and I can barely move! Takara as you have notibly done in the past I am now more aware of my history thx!

yum. that was good turkey. (ya thansk Takara. i had no idea what it was about either. i realized it was just general thanksgiving, but i wasnt sure if it had some connections with our neighbors to the south or not. my family even had a discussion about that during supper. lol.)

Wel,I hope all of you up north had a great time.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday,bar none.As usual,this year I will invite myself to admiralpeewee's house :) They cook enough food to feed an army!

Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving?

We sure do! and I can barely move! Takara as you have notibly done in the past I am now more aware of my history thx!

I had no clue either until asked. My first thought was that part of the traditions were brought by the Empire Loyalists during the Revolutionary War but I was surprised to see that was actually correct.

Happy Thanksgiving to our friends north of the border!