Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Pleasure points

I like cars. I'm not much on fuel ecomony or anything like that. I belive that if you drive a lot, your car can affect your mood. If it's fun you derive (or drive!) pleasure from it. Therefore a car may cost more but it gives you more pleasure.

I remember learning the theory of "pleasure points" at college. That everything you do can give you pleasure measurable in points. For example, two burger smay cost the same as a packet of 20 cigarettes. One may derive one point from every cigarette you smoke. A burger may give you 5 points in total. Therefore, aside from health and nutrition etc, looking just at the pleasure you get, the packet of cigarettes would give you more pleasure for your money.

It is all subjective of course. But I thought that it was interesting.

Star Trek Magazine costs £3.99 and I would get more pleasure from reading it than seeing a movie which may cost the same - a movie like The Changeling say for example, not Star Trek which will undoubtedly give me a point for every minute!!!

What gives you most pleasure points? A bottle of wine? A walk in the park may be your special thing which costs nothing. Recently, a trip to New York was expensive, but boy did it deliver pleasure points. I haven't been so happy in all my life when I first walked through Central Park. For a native New Yorker i'm sure it delivers a lot less points.

Another theory I recall was Utilitarianism - the good of the many outweighs the good of the few or the one - as Spock espoused in Star Trek 2: TWOK

I recently went to San Francisco for a week. Every morning I woke up to a pipe full of some really good pleasure points.

It depends on how much you pay too - some of those B.B-EEs are free, some ya pay for, is that not correct?

Reminds me of Econ 101. Basically saying if you'd pay $15 for a steak, and it only costs $6, then yes, you should buy it.

Of course, he also taught the theory of diminishing returns. After the first steak, you'd probably only pay $12 for a second. Then 10, etc. When you're sick of steak, and its value to you is less than the price of the steak, that's when you don't buy it.

YBHYR - Something like the actual value of something is what you're willing to give up to have it.

Indeed, what makes us happy (ie brings pleasure) is very subjective.

The sad thing is we must do so much in life that takes away points - my job certainly does.

Workng in my garden (a few pots on my patio) really makes me happy.

Reminds me of Econ 101. Basically saying if you'd pay $15 for a steak, and it only costs $6, then yes, you should buy it.

Of course, he also taught the theory of diminishing returns. After the first steak, you'd probably only pay $12 for a second. Then 10, etc. When you're sick of steak, and its value to you is less than the price of the steak, that's when you don't buy it.

That's why I went to my Econ 101 class 3 times a week...

and then two times a week...

and then one time a week...

For me, though, pleasure points are usually done as a means of blowing off steam.

Listening to my music, though, is probably the biggest for me.

I'd also say playing Nintendo, or watching a DVD.

Sometimes I'll shoot pool.