Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Episode Spotlight DS9

In Purgatory's Shadow

320x240.jpg

"In Purgatory's Shadow" is the first part of an exciting two part arc in which we see the return of both Klingon General Martok and former Obsidian Order head Enabran Tain.

Enabran Tain has sent s special distress signal from within a Dominion prison camp. This distress signal is encoded in a special code that only he and Elim Garak know how to read, because they are the two thet created the code. Later in the episode we learn the reason why Garak risked his life to try to rescue Tain.

320x240.jpg

This episode features Elim Garak as a central character and the story pretty much revolves around him. We see new deminsions of Garak in this episode and learn more about his background.

We also see the planting of the seeds that bloom into the close "familiy" relationship between Worf and General Martok that becomes important throughout the rest of the series.

320x240.jpg

This episode, along with part 2 was a real high spot for season 5 of Deep Space Nine.

To read the entire episode synopsis from STARTREK.COM click below:

Click For Spoiler

This was definitely an excellant episode of Trek. It incorporates all of the points that make the show great. We had action, emotion and secrecy. What more could you ask for.

Ohmigosh, yes...what a totally awesome episode. I don't know where to start...

Click for Spoiler:

**Worf's epic fights with the Jem'Hadar, and his never-say-die attitude that impressed not only Martok, but the J'H First.

**Garak's scene when Tain dies. My favorite part is his glance back at Julian when Tain asks if they're alone, and his lie/answer. He trusted Julian and his discretion.

**The claustrophobic angle that comes in to play so well in the next episode. (LOVE it when he's scolding the light and himself for not performing up to snuff. Excellent scene and acting.)

**The fact that Julian was in isolation - doesn't that say something about his mettle that he deserved something like that?

That's just the beginning - and a question -

Click for Spoiler:

What do you think happened that got Julian thrown in the cooler?

Ohmigosh, yes...what a totally awesome episode.  I don't know where to start...

Click for Spoiler:

**Worf's epic fights with the Jem'Hadar, and his never-say-die attitude that impressed not only Martok, but the J'H First.

**Garak's scene when Tain dies.  My favorite part is his glance back at Julian when Tain asks if they're alone, and his lie/answer.  He trusted Julian and his discretion.

**The claustrophobic angle that comes in to play so well in the next episode.  (LOVE it when he's scolding the light and himself for not performing up to snuff.  Excellent scene and acting.)

**The fact that Julian was in isolation - doesn't that say something about his mettle that he deserved something like that?

That's just the beginning - and a question -

Click for Spoiler:

What do you think happened that got Julian thrown in the cooler?

I think he was in Isolation because:

Click for Spoiler:

His attitude git the better of him. Julian can have a bit of a sarcastic tone when he wants to lol

I agree with your thoughts on the episode completely, it was an awesome 2 parter!

Didn't your jaw just hit the floor when the person in isolation came back to the holding cell?

We just gasped the first time we saw it.

And I have a question. Had we ever seen the REAL Martok prior to this episode? I still get a little fuzzy on this, but wasn't he with Gowron when they showed up on DS9 in "Way of the Warrior" the season before?

Didn't your jaw just hit the floor when the person in isolation came back to the holding cell?

We just gasped the first time we saw it.

And I have a question.  Had we ever seen the REAL Martok prior to this episode?  I still get a little fuzzy on this, but wasn't he with Gowron when they showed up on DS9 in "Way of the Warrior" the season before?

Yes that was Martok in Way Of The Warrior but it's never said if it's the real Martok or a changeling.

PDVD_396.JPG

I assumed that this is a changeling since Martok, when he meets Worf at the prison camp says "I know of you" as if he's never met him but has heard of him. Plus the amount of time that Martok is captive was set at 18 months I believe and the time between Way of the Warrior and In Purgatory's Shadow is 16 months. That would mean that the fake Martok was in place for 2 months before Way of the Warrior.