Sign in to follow this  
dunadan

the inner light

i think that this is one of the most beautiful stories ever told in the history of tv. no matter how many times i see this ep i am still moved by it. i make a point of trying to catch it every time it is on spiketv.

i think that my favorite part is at the very end when picard is given the musical instrument that he played during his "life" on kataan. what a great and moving way to wrap it up.

i have always loved scifi stories that involve a culture/race living on in memory or through another culture. "the second soul" ep of the outer limits is another example of this type of story.

I agree that The Inner Light was one of the best TNG episodes of the entire series. As I believe that TNG is one of the all-time best tv series (not just sci-fi) then it goes without saying that I agree with your assessment.

I too was so moved at the ending when Picard is standing at the window in his quarters and begins to play the flute.

27.JPG

Great, great episode.

I agree, too. I love the music from the episode, this flute play is amazing. It makes me cry every time I hear/see it. ;)

This episode still gets me into thoughts about living a complete life as another person and then waking up being the person you were years before you got into this other life.... :b-day: It must have been horrible for Jean-Luc, waking up and realizing his life he lived as Kamin went by in only 20 Enterprise-minutes....

Mrs. Captain Picard

one of the great TNG episodes....

i liked the flute in the episode coming back...that was a great move by the writers, to show how much the life meant to Picard

Oh, thank you so much, Takara...  :tear:  :tear:  :tear:

It is such a great song  :tear:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I love this song, too. It makes me wish I could play a musical instrument so that I could play it. I have many different versions of this song on my computer, and I listen to them a lot. It's just such a moving song. It would be moving even if I didn't have any background to go with it.

Does anyone know who wrote it?

Jay Chattaway wrote it (at least I remember him saying he did so in the mission logs on one of TNG's DVDs).

Mrs. Captain Picard

It was a truly moving episode. Picard gained so much from their loss.

Thankyou, Takara, for posting the music he played. When I heard that again in a later episode, I almost cried.

I love this song, too.  It makes me wish I could play a musical instrument so that I could play it.

Hmmm, I wonder if there is sheet music?? It is a beautiful piece of music, though I fear that me and my clarinet could never do it justice.

The Inner Light is definitely on my top 3 list of best ST eps. ever..

Does anyone remember the episode Lessons, where Picard plays a lot on that wonderful flute again.. I love that episode, mainly because of the music!

I loved this episode, it was so moving. I loved seeing Picard as a civilian, with his family. It made me wonder about him ever having any regrets about not having a family of his own. He showed us he would have been a good father and husband.