Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Arkansas Family Welcomes 18th Child

Arkansas Family Welcomes 18th Child

ROGERS, Ark. (Dec. 18) - An Arkansas woman has given birth to her 18th child. Michelle Duggar delivered the baby girl by Caesarean section Thursday at Mercy Medical Center in Rogers. The baby, named Jordyn-Grace Makiya Duggar, weighed 7 pounds, 3 ounces and was 20 inches long.

Beth Hall, AP3 photos An Arkansas woman gave birth Thursday to her 18th child, a girl named Jordyn-Grace. Proud papa Jim Bob Duggar called the new baby "the ultimate Christmas gift from God." Here, Michelle Duggar is shown with her family on Aug. 2, 2007, after the birth of her 17th baby.(Note: Please disable your pop-up blocker)

"The ultimate Christmas gift from God," said Jim Bob Duggar, the father of the 18 children. "She's just absolutely beautiful, like her mom and her sisters."

The Duggars now have 10 sons and eight daughters.

Jim Bob Duggar said Michelle started having contractions Wednesday night. She needed the C-section, her third, because the baby was lying sideways. Jim Bob said both baby and mother were doing well Thursday night.

What’s Your Take?

"We both would love to have more," he said.

The cable network TLC broadcasts a weekly show about the Duggars, called "Seventeen and Counting." Chris Finnegan of TLC — which handles public relations for the Duggar family — said the show's name would be updated to account for the latest addition to the family. He said TLC also will air a show Monday on the baby's delivery.

Jim Bob Duggar is 43, a year older than his wife. Their oldest child, Joshua, is 20.

The other Duggar children, in between Joshua and Jordyn-Grace, are Jana, 18; John-David, 18; Jill, 17; Jessa, 16; Jinger, 14; Joseph, 13; Josiah, 12; Joy-Anna, 11; Jeremiah, 9; Jedidiah, 9; Jason, 8; James, 7; Justin, 6; Jackson, 4; Johannah, 3; and Jennifer, 1.

"Our whole family is excited about Jordyn's addition to our family," Jim Bob Duggar said. "She's just perfect in every way."

I'm sorry, but these people are insane............

Plus they have that annoying habit of purposely mispelling the name.

Jordyn.......ITS JORDAN YOU IDIOTS!

z7shysterical.gif

Did you note all their names start with J.?

The 18th of 18 kids and she still needs a C-section?

You'd think one good sneeze would be all she needed.

Good thing they started with a J instead of an O

I can't help but think that these kids arent' getting any personal attention from their parents. Sure they're dressed and fed and have a roof over their head, but is that all a kid needs?

do the younger kids wear anything that isn't a hand-me-down? Do the older children have any freedom or are they stuck caring for the younger children?

The Duggars are a QuiverFull family. While I strongly disagree with having that many children, if for no other reason than it's very unhealthy for the mother, having a large family is a major part of their faith. I might look at them and think they're insane (I won't lie, I think they're nuts), but there are plenty of people who would say I'm insane for following the faith that I do. To each their own.

18 is a lot by today's standards, I'm from a semi-large family. I'm the 5th of 5, my father's mother was one of 16 and both of my mothers parents were 1 of 10. So families with lots of children really isn't all that odd. Still, 18 is a lot.

Large Familes before the '60's weren't unusual (that's when we got the pill); before that women had babies until they died from exhaustion. In this day and age 18 is unusual.

I worry about these kids - I guess the parents are lucky they found TLC so they can feed their kids.

Large Familes before the '60's weren't unusual (that's when we got the pill); before that women had babies until they died from exhaustion. In this day and age 18 is unusual.

I worry about these kids - I guess the parents are lucky they found TLC so they can feed their kids.

that's a good point. Pregnancy is a big strain on the body. To be constantly pregnant like she is can't be healthy for her. I hope she is taking supliments

seriously without the show and the money they must be getting from it would they be able to afford 18 kids. An article mentioned that they were both realestate agents...but I can't imagine that job making THAT much money to feed 20 people and every thing else that comes with living in america

Maybe they were going for Jordine.

My nearly 50-year-old sister-in-law is the baby in a family of eighteen children. Their family reunions are huge! Her deceased parents had a long, healthy life, and they were a poor but happy clan. I think in those days the many children meant more laborers to help the family. It's not just how many mouths to feed; it's also how many laborers can bring in money. In the past you could stretch food if enough people were working to bring in money. My dad grew up in a family where he was the youngest of seven surviving children, and he used to talk about huge pots of beans, cabbage, and raising chickens in the back yard.

My brother and sister-in-law opted for just four children, and to my knowledge none of her siblings chose to have excessively large families. But they have fun when they all get together and have regular reunions.

My wife and I have three boys. I want to try again (sometime) because I want a daughter. My wife is the oldest of five girls. I myself am an only child, but my mother has like 10 brothers and sisters.