Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Move Over Batman, Robin Is Getting His Own Chance At A Live Action TV

Holy sidekick, Batman! Robin is getting his own series!

Yes, that Robin who wears the funny costume and isn't even good enough to appear in the last two Batman movies.

But he could find a home on The CW's Fall 2009 schedule with a pilot commitment to "The Graysons."

Following the same line as "Smallville," the pilot and series is expected to look at Dick Grayson's younger years, and will even include Kelly Soders and Brian Peterson of "Smallville" to write and executive produce the pilot from Warner Bros. Television and Wonderland Sound and Vision, according to TV Week. They will join "Terminator: Salvation" director McG as well as Peter Johnson, both of whom also produce "Supernatural" on The CW.

The new character, which has not been cast, will be known as DJ, and will be a "modern, urban fable of first loves, young rivals and the heroic strength of family."

"Smallville" has remained a signature program for The CW, and has maintained mostly stable ratings since making the jump from The WB to the network after the studios behind their network and UPN decided to join forces. However, the show has had some behind-the-scenes turmoil including the departure of its series developers, as well as one of its stars, Michael Rosenbaum.

Ordered pilots do not necessarily become series for networks, but TV Week added that there are penalties in place that The CW would have to pay if "The Graysons" is not picked up for a series in the fall.

Is this about the Graysons BEFORE Dick became Robin? If so, then they would be circus performers. This sounds weird.

yep, it's gonna be about Dick before he became Robin. I don't know how good that will be. Maybe the series will end with Bruce Wayne showing up. That'd be cool

Well, logically, the series would end with Dick's parents being murdered and Bruce Wayne taking him in.

I don't think this pilot has a chance. Its not like Smallville where Clark is gradually learning to use his powers. Dick Grayson was nothing but a circus kid before Bruce took him in and trained him. There would be no reference to Robin or any storylines leading up to Dick becoming Robin. It would just be a show about a family of circus acrobats. Unless, of course, they throw out everything we know about Dick's history and make a bunch of stuff up. If they do that and try to make Dick a little 12 year old crimefighter, I won't watch it. It would be ridiculous.

Edited by Kor37

It'd definitely be more like the teen dramas like people say Smallville is. I too don't find anything interesting about Robin before Robin. I think they are going to make him old like the Chris O'Donnell/Burt Ward Dick Grayson

They should rework the show and make it about post-Batman Robin when he becomes Nightwing

Edited by Stephen of Borg

it would be nice where there is a movie where he does become nightwing, but not the show...i know O'Donnell has turned down the role to play a nightwing in a movie several times already....but i dont know if thats going to happen

Edited by TJ

It'd definitely be more like the teen dramas like people say Smallville is. I too don't find anything interesting about Robin before Robin. I think they are going to make him old like the Chris O'Donnell/Burt Ward Dick Grayson

They should rework the show and make it about post-Batman Robin when he becomes Nightwing

A Nightwing show would be a really good idea!

Sorry, I've never been a Robin fan.

At all.

Not even as a little kid.

Little punk is like the Wesley Crusher of superheros.

Now that you know my opinion, I don't see how a pre-Batman series about Robin could work. It isn't like Smallville as you see the character grow up and gradually learn his powers and his destiny. There is only so much you can stretch the story of seeing his parents killed and eventually become Robin.

Episode 1: Robin's parents die

Episode 2: Robin goes to funeral

Episode 3: Robin begins training

Episode 4: Robin is still training

Episode 5: Still training

Episode 6: Yup, still training. Not quite ready yet.

Episode 7: You get the idea.

Sorry, I've never been a Robin fan.

At all.

Not even as a little kid.

Little punk is like the Wesley Crusher of superheros.

Now that you know my opinion, I don't see how a pre-Batman series about Robin could work. It isn't like Smallville as you see the character grow up and gradually learn his powers and his destiny. There is only so much you can stretch the story of seeing his parents killed and eventually become Robin.

Episode 1: Robin's parents die

Episode 2: Robin goes to funeral

Episode 3: Robin begins training

Episode 4: Robin is still training

Episode 5: Still training

Episode 6: Yup, still training. Not quite ready yet.

Episode 7: You get the idea.

Actually, since this is a proposed "pre-Batman" story, everything would take place before the episodes you just listed.The moment Robin's parents are killed is the the moment he met Batman so the best we can expect is a series about a family of circus performers.