Sign in to follow this  
Indy

It was 42 years ago today...

Star Trek premiered on September 8, 1966, 42 years ago today!

It was 42 years ago today...

On September 8th, 1966, the world was transported for the first time to the 23rd century and the final frontier. On TV screens across America, "The Man Trap" introduced Star Trek and ushered in a franchise that endures to this day. Some fans recall the day, but for many more, they were too young or not even yet born to experience that moment in TV history.

"The first adult space adventure"

Although science fiction was not new, it was new to do an hour long sci-fi space drama in the evening. Star Trek was taking space adventure to the adults and treating it seriously. Here are some promos and interviews done before Star Trek aired.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

For full article and additional video, visit TrekMovie.com

Edited by Indy

Ok that's weird, I just PMd this to Kevin right before you posted this :clap:

Oops, sorry. I waited all day for somebody to post something, so I finally took the initiative. Guess I should have waited a few minutes longer. :whistling:

Kind of makes me think of the line in Back to the Future "a day that will live in history ..the day I invented the flux capacitor!" :clap:

Thanks for posting this and helping many of us relive those memories! :whistling:

Well happy birthday Star Trek. It doesn't matter how sad or geeky or nerdy a lot of people see ST, the fact that it still has so many dedicated fans (old and new) after all this time says an awful lot about it. How many other television shows have had this many years of adoration and success , five spin off series and ten feature films (so far)? Answer: none but Trek.

Ok that's weird, I just PMd this to Kevin right before you posted this :laugh:

Oops, sorry. I waited all day for somebody to post something, so I finally took the initiative. Guess I should have waited a few minutes longer. :dude:

I think it's fitting and proper for you to post it since you've been watching since Day 1. Of course that would go for any of the members that have been watching and have been fans since day one.