Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Any military people out there?

Most people I know who oppose the draft, outside of major war, are usually conservative patriates with high values on personal rights and freedoms.  You say it's fear, I say it's exercising freedom.

But that freedom was bought and paid for by the blood of men (and women) who fell in foreign wars ... on your behalf. And a great many of them were drafted I'm sure, and I'm sure that some of the didn't like it, but did their duty for their country.

Sorry, I wasn't going to comment on this thread but coldn't help myself.

Yes, but my point is, with the size of our military, it is no longer neccessary.

How many people are in the US Military right now and why is that "enough"?

You are also completely missing the reason I personally feel the need for required service.

Like I said, I agree with the draft when it is neccessary, but I do not feel it to be neccessary at this time. From what I've heard, President Bush is against the draft, and I totally agree with him. People should volunteer, not be forced. As for having a mandatory 2-year service for all men who turn 18... Would you recommend this for women as well? Believe it or not, but the military is not for everyone.

Like I said, I agree with the draft when it is neccessary, but I do not feel it to be neccessary at this time.  From what I've heard, President Bush is against the draft, and I totally agree with him.  People should volunteer, not be forced.  As for having a mandatory 2-year service for all men who turn 18...  Would you recommend this for women as well?  Believe it or not, but the military is not for everyone.

You didn't answer the question I posed though, you said the Military is big enough. Why do you feel it's big enough? I remember seeing a stat that by the end of the Clinton years our military had fallen below the levels that we were at in December 1941. That's a dangerous situation.

As for my view of women in the Military, I'll hold silent there.

As I said in an earlier post, if you are a law abiding citizen then you have already registered for the draft (provided you are over 18). Thus by doing so you are subject to being called into military service at the will of the President. If you are not a law abiding citizen then you didn't register and could face criminal charges.

Like I said, I agree with the draft when it is neccessary, but I do not feel it to be neccessary at this time.  From what I've heard, President Bush is against the draft, and I totally agree with him.  People should volunteer, not be forced.  As for having a mandatory 2-year service for all men who turn 18...  Would you recommend this for women as well?  Believe it or not, but the military is not for everyone.

You didn't answer the question I posed though, you said the Military is big enough. Why do you feel it's big enough? I remember seeing a stat that by the end of the Clinton years our military had fallen below the levels that we were at in December 1941. That's a dangerous situation.

As for my view of women in the Military, I'll hold silent there.

As I said in an earlier post, if you are a law abiding citizen then you have already registered for the draft (provided you are over 18). Thus by doing so you are subject to being called into military service at the will of the President. If you are not a law abiding citizen then you didn't register and could face criminal charges.

Seeing as we have the largest military on the planet, I consider that reason enough to say it's large enough.

Holding silent on women in the military? You seem so sure about everything else. Hmm...

Seeing as we have the largest military on the planet, I consider that reason enough to say it's large enough.

We don't have the largest Military on the planet, do some studying.

Holding silent on women in the military?  You seem so sure about everything else.  Hmm...

Join the Army, gain some first hand (and correct) experience and then I'll discuss it with you. I have first hand experience, as of right now you don't. You don't have any understanding of what the military is in reality so I know that this particular sub-topic will be beyond your ablity to discuss. I've made the mistake in the past of discussing it with civilian's looking down their noses at military life and I won't make the same mistake again.

We don't have the largest Military on the planet, do some studying.

Holding silent on women in the military?  You seem so sure about everything else.  Hmm...

Join the Army, gain some first hand (and correct) experience and then I'll discuss it with you. I have first hand experience, as of right now you don't. You don't have any understanding of what the military is in reality so I know that this particular sub-topic will be beyond your ablity to discuss. I've made the mistake in the past of discussing it with civilian's looking down their noses at military life and I won't make the same mistake again.

Oh, so not serving in the military makes me too ignorrant to understand? :dude:

Oh, so not serving in the military makes me too ignorrant to understand? :(

Bluntly, on this topic. Yes.

One does not have to serve in the military to understand it. There's this thing called research. :dude:

Research what it is to be a Black man. Research what it is to be a woman. Research what it is to be blind. Does that mean you truly understand it? No. You can research all you want, if you don't experience it you can't fully understand it. You have proven with many incorrect statements over the past 8 months that you don't understand the military. You oppose military service because you won't kill.

There are some things you have to experience to understand, it's as simple as that. You can know facts, you can know trivia but unless you have lived it and breathed it you don't understand it.

I can know what a burst appendix is, I can study it and know that it is painful but unless I have it happen to me I can't understand what the experience really is.

Oh, so not serving in the military makes me too ignorrant to understand? :dude:

Bluntly, on this topic. Yes.

One does not have to serve in the military to understand it. There's this thing called research. :(

Research what it is to be a Black man. Research what it is to be a woman. Research what it is to be blind. Does that mean you truly understand it? No. You can research all you want, if you don't experience it you can't fully understand it. You have proven with many incorrect statements over the past 8 months that you don't understand the military. You oppose military service because you won't kill.

There are some things you have to experience to understand, it's as simple as that. You can know facts, you can know trivia but unless you have lived it and breathed it you don't understand it.

I can know what a burst appendix is, I can study it and know that it is painful but unless I have it happen to me I can't understand what the experience really is.

I agree completely. There are many experiences that a person can not understand completely without experiencing them. Honestly the military is definitely one of them. I have a lot of friends in the military that tell me alot about how things are in the military, but I make no prelude to understanding it fully because I have not been there to have the experience myself.

Just like myself, I am completely blind without corrective lenses, (cannot see my hand resting against my nose) and I have people that talk about how they understand because they have done research, but they don't. Until they have lived without their sight they can do all the research that they want and there is still absolutely no way that they can truly understand. I beleive that the military experience is the same way.