Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Life after assimilation

What I didn't get about Voyager was this. In Unimatrix Zero, Janeway and Tuvok and Torres ALLOW themselves to be assimilated. Now, they retain their consciousness throughout this, their individuality as it were. HOW COULD THEY!!!!! I mean, getting your blood pumped full of nano-probes. Eye fittings, hair removal, limbs cut off. I mean Jese. They (luckily) got the minimal job done. Picard in Family was a wreck. "They cut of my arm..." i mean this man was crying. Yet after Unimatrix Zero, a brief period in sick bay and a couple of sticking plasters and they were fine again. No mental scars. Janeway lying back with a coffee. Rubbish. I hate this dismissal of the evil power, of the evasion, the Borg can cause. Did the doctor give them all prosthetic limbs? How good are these? I would personally be traumatised.

Though I'd not thought about it until you mentioned it, I must say you are absolutely right!!!! :bow:

I wondered about that too. It really dosn't make any sense, espiecially with Tuvok, because he could hear the hive mind in the end. The docter did say that he would take longer to recover, but he never had a different after effects. I was suprized that this huge milestone happened, where they were assimilated, and no one ever spoke of it again. :bow:

wow..I did see that ep..I caught it half way thru..thought someone was dreaming.

They didn't cut off Picard's arm. They slid a "arm thing" over his arm so he'd have a Borg tricorder-thing or whatever.

With Janeway, Tuvok, & B'Elanna, they had a "nueral supressant" or something that didn't kick in till AFTER they were assimilated. Maybe it wasn't so aweful for them becuase they "allowed" it to happen? Anyway, they shoved a giant implant into Janeway's brain. I thought I heard they can't remove nueral implants, or is that only true after prolonged assilation. If you have to be a drone for a long time for that to happen, what about the giant omplant shoved into Janeway's brain? Is she missing some brain, or did the Doc leave it in?

i didnt like that. i agree it made no sense. in tng, locutus was very dramatic and once picard came back he was a really different person. i thought unimatrix zero didnt make much sense.

I didnt see the start or any other borg queen episode, but didnt picard kill her?? why is she still alive in voyager?

i didnt like that. i agree it made no sense. in tng, locutus was very dramatic and once picard came back he was a really different person. i thought unimatrix zero didnt make much sense.

I didnt see the start or any other borg queen episode, but didnt picard kill her?? why is she still alive in voyager?

The Borg Queen is a consciousness, not a being. If the Queen's body is destroyed her consciousness is still in the Hive Mind.

I had not really thought about it, but you are right. They did kind of leave that one hanging as to how they recovered so quickly.

Assimilation to me would seem to be more of a sub-concious pain rather than a physical pain. The borg aren't stupid, and they wouldn't hurt a valuble drone to death unless it was declared useless first. Yes, you'd probably feel a dull small pain, but that's just because of the nano-kiddies. But in the end, they help you, well, help you help the collective. Still though.....

Also, Janeway needed a way to infect the borg with her virus. This was probably the only way to do that. Besides, the old Janeway had to die, because 2 Janeway's would just be way to confusing.

yes but in TNG Picard was taken and forced into assimilation. In VOY Janeway, Torres and Tuvok allowed themselves to be assimilated, they knew the risks and anticipated them.

Also they did wear a neural suppresant that was starting to wear out on Tuvok. This episode made complete sense, it just requires a little extra thought.

That's the difference with voluntary assimilation & forced assimilation. They got nothing to complain about.

the Neural Suppressant prevents them from succumbing to the Hive Mind, maybe the doc also gave them something to ease if not prevent any feelings of pain.

After returning back to normal, there's nothing much to go complaining about.

To me, if that we're to happened to me, after all the processes is over & somehow got freed, i'd just look at myself & spend a moment in silence staring into deep space, thinking through what I’ve experienced in the hive-mind. Then later continue to live life best possible.

If i'm not mistaken that's how 7 of 9 behaved too, she didn't go around complaining about it, she had guilt instead of anger for doing the same things to others. Her moment of silence is practically every day for not talking much. ;)

About the Queen's death in ST:FC

like someone here already mentioned & so did 7 of 9,

"Whenever a drone is deactivated, its memory continue reside in the collective's consciousness as long as the Hive exists so would a part of that Drone"

this goes for the Queen as well, but the Queen got another advantage, which is getting a new body & retaking back her previous memories of past lives & learn from past mistakes.

Who knows, the Queen's consciousness we are hearing could be the conscious of the 1st ever Queen out of hundreds or more or less host bodies.

:borgqueen:

Who knows, the Queen's consciousness we are hearing could be the conscious of the 1st ever Queen out of hundreds or more or less host bodies.

:borgqueen:

I've allways thought that. ;)

Here's a question. Dr. Crusher was able to remove Picard's "neural implants" as was The Doctor able to remove Janeway, Tuvok, and B'Elanna's implants. However, remember in "Unimatrix Zero, Part II" when we see this big implant shoved into the side of Janeway's head? :) Do you think that the Doctor had to leave that one in, that she's just missing a bit of brain matter, or what?

In early assimilations its likely to be able to take out almost anything, because the body haven't adept to needing it.

But if its something really vital because that piece is totally out, then that have to remain, but the thing outside is not necessary to keep, its what's inside that matter, depending on what we are referring to.

Look closely all over your body: at your fingers, toes, eyes - eberything. And tell me that you would be able to let a race of cybernetic beings cut them off, and stick things in you. Even if the Dr could replace them , it still wont be YOU in the end. Very traumatic. The human mind would find it very hard.

You're judging like everyone thinks the same.

anyway, its traumatic ya, but what can u do. loose control & go around killing Borg. Maybe, but that's a waste of life "What's left of it" just by wanting that alone.

Accept the fact that it has already happened & think of what to do next [That's how I usually think when something traumatic happens to me]. Unless u can change the situation via time alteration.

Note: I'm not referring to ignorance ok, I'm not saying ignore the whole thing "which won't be an easy thing I’m sure" just accept it.

From what i can tell, Picard had his eyes drilled & 7 lost her left eye while the other assimilated people are luckier, they didn't loose anything. just some holes here & there.

Be lucky that you are not a candidate for the next Queen, because your whole body will be gone, i think the only thing left is the brain. The rest are all replaced, even the skull.

In "The Best of Both Worlds", Picard's eye was intact, so the "eye drill" in FIRST CONTACT was a bit confusing.

Anywho, what about the giant implant shoved into the side of Janeway's head? It had to go somewhere. Does anyone think the Doctor had to leave that in, 'cause my guess is that it replaced part of her brain. Maybe the Doctor removed it and "filled in the gap" or something?

Really, Picard had the "lightest" assimilation of them all.

When it comes to a continuos story

Always judge something by the latest information.

In Picard's case, what we see in ST:FC is what really happened, as u can see both the series & movie had different implants on his head. Reason, the series was a starters / prototype they had not the proper looks for it or money :laugh:.

so they made it look better in the movie. Same goes for the Cubes too, compare the differences & stick to the latest, which is ST:FC & Voyager.

anyway, drilling the eye doesn't mean its gone they could have implanted something in the inside. Maybe something special Drones only gets ;) individual drones.

about Janeway's it wasn't that big, my guess they either left that thing that entered her head piece inside or they took it out because it ain't life threatening like Echep's power node.

BigThingy.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/auric180/BigThingy.jpg

The picture thingy didn't work so use the link.

Edited by Alterego

actually, it was pretty big. I think one of 2 things happened: They either left part of it in, or they found a way to regenerate or transfer the brain tissue. They'd also have to "repath" all the neral pathways in order to get them functuning again.

Then again, if you remember endgame, the future Janeway had that little chip in her head. That could have started out as the leftovers from the implant. Then as time went on, they were able to take more and more out (maybe because the tissue recovered) and then the doctor finally found a use for it: to let her controll a ship.

The implant wasn't big, but it did go a few inches into her head, which is pretty far in relation to her head. One could assume that the Doctor removed it and re-routed any vital nueral pathways. Most likely, the damage was to non-essential brain tissue.

If you're talking about our century, then i agree with you, but in the 24th Century.

They don't hold grudges like that. After all, its not the Drone's 100% fault what they have done while in the Collective.

I for one won't hold a grudge on a Drone, especially since we do not know which drone did what, theres billions over billions of them, who's to tell who's responsible for whatever you're blaming for.

:waaaa: