Sign in to follow this  
Lubak10

There really was a Picard!

Picard, Jean

Picard, Jean, 1620–82, French astronomer, noted for having made the first accurate measurement of a degree of the earth's meridian. The figures he established were of great value to Newton in his calculation of the force of gravitation. Picard, who had previously been the prior of Rillé, in Anjou, went to Paris to occupy the chair of astronomy in the Collège de France in 1655. He determined (1671) the latitude and longitude of Tycho Brahe's observatory at Ven (now Landskrona, Sweden) in order to be able to use Brahe's observations of the positions of heavenly bodies. To him is due in great part the establishment of the Paris Observatory and of the Connaissance des temps, the first five volumes (1679–83) of which he wrote.

:wow:

Oh I did not know that! :borg2: Amazing :wow:

I recently searched through a German-wide telephone register from 1998... guess what I found: A "Jean-Luc Picard" lived in Berlin ;);) :lol: :lol: (I thought of calling him and asking him if he still enjoys his holiday on earth B) ) Poor man, he definitely got a lot of calls :lol:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Edited by Mrs.Picard

Yeah, I discovered that when I was bored and decided to look through the dictionary for Picard. I didn't expect to find one, much less one named Jean!

There also was a William Riker. I was flipping through some book in the library (a reference about people in TV and film) looking for Roddenberry, and there was an entry for Riker, William. Turns out he was an actor who was in a few soap operas.

It's interesting you mentioned a phone directory, Mrs.Picard. My mom told me she was looking for her friend in the phone book. There were two entries with the same last name. One was her friend, and one was a couple with first names of Deanna and Troy. I just cracked up when she told me that story.

Picard, who had previously been the prior of Rillé, in Anjou

Here's something interesting. Anjou (the last word quoted) is the name of Gul Dukats alter ego as a Bajoran in the last arc of DS9! Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Edited by Commander Bolivar

Picard, who had previously been the prior of Rillé, in Anjou

Here's something interesting. Anjou (the last word quoted) is the name of Gul Dukats alter ego as a Bajoran in the last arc of DS9! Coincidence? Perhaps not.

Stardate:213690.9

Thats kinda errie and cool :borg2:

Thats strange,I wonder how the producers come up with these names,it would be interesting to find out.

There's a store in a town near my own called Picard's Peanuts. Never been there though. There's also a decorating place called Damar. I find that one really weird. A decorating store with a Cardassian name.

Geordi La Forge was named after a handicapped gentleman who was a Trekkie. I believe he died shortly before TNG was created.

No Way, A Actual Picard...

Hey, is there a Willliam Riker, and A Wesley Crusher????

that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. See my previous post.

Gene Roddenberrys ideas were inspired from history like his daughters and so the characters involved oft have a history.

Dr. Pulaski might have been named after General Casimir Pulaski. On Washington's recommendation, the Continental Congress appointed Pulaski general of the cavalry on September 15, 1777. There is a Pulaski Day Parade in October. He is large Polish-American hero. Here is a statue of him in downtown Buffalo.

CP72.jpg

Picard might be an unusual name, but not that unusual..

101839[/snapback]

COOL!!!

BTW Kantorei (chamber choir at school) is performing a chansons "La Prise de Calais" that mentions Picards!!! :wacko: