Sign in to follow this  
Angela

Deanna Troi - stiffer than a plank of wood?

I was watching an episode of Star Trek The Next Generation (The Offspring) and even when she is being sarcastic (congratulations, its a girl) it comes out very stiff and annoying. Am I the onluy ne to feel that way.

I have never been a fan of Troi she is flat and unconvincing but many men watch females like that for there acting. Take Seven she couldnt act but they didnt employ her for that. Trek now seems to get females who try and ooze sex appeal

I have never been a fan of Troi she is flat and unconvincing but many men watch females like that for there acting. Take Seven she couldnt act but they didnt employ her for that. Trek now seems to get females who try and ooze sex appeal

Now that I disagree with. Jeri Ryan was a GREAT actress...she proved it during the episode 'Infinite Regress', when she had to play all those different people she'd assimilated (LOVED her Ferengi impersonation). She was a really good actress...the writers just never gave her anything worth a crap to work with.

Marina on the other hand...I think it was the fact that she was trying to do an Eastern European accent instead of her natural British one that made her sound so stilted in her speech all the time.

And Roy...WTF? Marina Sirtis is NOT fat!

Edited by Dabo Queen

Marina Sirtis wasn't Fat the outift in EAF made her look it.

MAybe I havent seen that episode and she did good in some of them but I don;t think she's on par with some of the others actresses out there

Troi definitely wasn't the best character, due in part to Marina's acting, but as time when on she did grow into the character, making Troi a bit more real. She came a long way from "I'm sensing a... a powerful mind" (yeah, that's real helpful) to "Timeline! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time!" :lol:

She was also a drag on the cast in the movies as well.

In First Contact her scenes were pretty much a waste... "It's a primitive culture." and all...

In the latest movie Nemesis, her scenes with the Viceroy ZZZZzzzzzzzz...

Also, Troi seems to be the go to person for crashing ships. She was at helm for the Enterprise-D saucer to slam into Veridian III and when the Enterprise-E rammed the Scimitar. Who knows, maybe if we see the Enterprise-F at some point, she'll christen the ship by flying into a champagne bottle?

Well, you can't really blame her for crashing into everything. Blame Picard and Riker for telling a counselor to take the helm.

I thought Troi got better as TNG progressed the whole councilor thing in TNG was lame I mean Why did she belong on the bridge

but as the series and movies went forwrd I enjoyed her more

and I thought she was great in her role in First Contact, and her being Drunk is some good comical relief in basically a Gloomy mood film

I liked Troi but the "I'm sensing ....." did get a little tiresome.

I think Jeri Ryan was one of the better Trek actresses.

It wasn't a secret that even the actresses felt TNG didn't give female characters enough development. They got better with DS9 and VOY and then regressed for ENT.

BTW, Troi passed the bridge officer's test because she made a choice that none of us would ever want to have to make - sending a friend to certain death. This was the point where Troi became a real character IMO.

BTW, Troi passed the bridge officer's test because she made a choice that none of us would ever want to have to make - sending a friend to certain death. This was the point where Troi became a real character IMO.

She sent a holographic depiction of a friend to certain death, and she knew it was a holographic depiction when she did it.

She sent a holographic depiction of a friend to certain death, and she knew it was a holographic depiction when she did it.

Sometimes, you do need that detachment to order someone to their death.

Sometimes, you do need that detachment to order someone to their death.

MrPsychic REACH INTO THAT BIN OF USED NEEDLES AND GET MY CONTACT FOR ME WILL YA

itchygoomba he may not be that much of a friend towards you lol. I never saw the episode but have heard of it. But troi was a bad actress. "Sir he is lying" Anyone with eyes could see that.

How is that different from any other scenario testing that Starfleet performs? Saavik was tested with a simulation of the Kobayashi Maru scenario. If she had found a solution to the scenario would the fact that it was a simulation make it less of an achievement?

How is that different from any other scenario testing that Starfleet performs? Saavik was tested with a simulation of the Kobayashi Maru scenario. If she had found a solution to the scenario would the fact that it was a simulation make it less of an achievement?

No, but the Kobyashi Maru was designed to see how a candidate for command would deal with a no-win situation. It wasn't about tactics per se. If Saavik knew that it might have changed her response. That part of Troi's test wasn't about engineering per se, but knowing what she was really being tested on (from Riker's clues and taking the test over and over again) caused her to change her response. Would she have ordered Geordi to her death in a real situation? Probably not.

Riker's and Troi's past relationship alone should have dictated that someone else administer the test to her.

I do not know what kind of actress Marina Sirtis (good or bad) her character was lame. Jeri Ryan's character was given alot more things to work with.

And she was probably "trying" to pilot that shuttle when it crashed in 'Skin of Evil' and caused Tasha's death as well.

Actually, that gooey thing was 'responsible' for Tasha's death...but hey, it was Tasha, so I'll buy whoever contributed to it a beer. :o

Would she have ordered Geordi to her death in a real situation?

You could ask that same question of anyone in Starfleet who took part in simulated testing. It is easier to send someone to their death when it is simulated and there really is no way of knowing how the person would react in the real situation. None of that is unique to Troi.

Also, Troi seems to be the go to person for crashing ships. She was at helm ... when the Enterprise-E rammed the Scimitar.

Well that's unfair. She was ordered to ram the Scimitar. If she had missed then you could gripe about her piloting skills.

She cant drive She is a Women!

I can feel the heat coming down on me as I type this

LOL

:congrats: :P :o

And that can be the final word on that comment, please.

You could ask that same question of anyone in Starfleet who took part in simulated testing. It is easier to send someone to their death when it is simulated and there really is no way of knowing how the person would react in the real situation. None of that is unique to Troi.

But what was unique to Troi is she figured out she was being tested on whether she would order someone to their death, not on what would appear to be a technical engineering matter. In fact she said so once Riker entered the room again. Saavik, however, didn't know she was being tested on dealing with a no-win scenerio until well after the test was over. She thought she was being tested on tactics.

Knowing what you are being tested on changes your responses. The object of that portion of the Bridge Officer's Test and the Kobiashi Maru was to see the testee's responses when they didn't know what they were being tested on. Once you know the right answer on a test it is very easy to pick that right answer. Starfleet was interested in what the person's natural inclination was when they didn't know the right answer.

The same goes for Wesley Crusher's Starfleet Enterance exam. He was being tested on how he would react to a crisis situation. However, at the time, he didn't know he was being tested at all. Starfleet was able to observe Wesley's actions without any prompting. Troi had all the prompting in the world.

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

But what was unique to Troi is she figured out she was being tested on whether she would order someone to their death, not on what would appear to be a technical engineering matter. In fact she said so once Riker entered the room again. Saavik, however, didn't know she was being tested on dealing with a no-win scenerio until well after the test was over. She thought she was being tested on tactics.

Knowing what you are being tested on changes your responses. The object of that portion of the Bridge Officer's Test and the Kobiashi Maru was to see the testee's responses when they didn't know what they were being tested on. Once you know the right answer on a test it is very easy to pick that right answer. Starfleet was interested in what the person's natural inclination was when they didn't know the right answer.

The same goes for Wesley Crusher's Starfleet Enterance exam. He was being tested on how he would react to a crisis situation. However, at the time, he didn't know he was being tested at all. Starfleet was able to observe Wesley's actions without any prompting. Troi had all the prompting in the world.

It seems to me that the only way to pass that test is to figure out that someone would have to die to solve the problem. That is what she did. Yes Riker's words made it click for her but she may have figured that out anyway.

Personally I didn't like the idea of this Bridge Officer's Exam. I hated that anyone with similar creditials could take that test and all of sudden outrank other officers who were more competent.

Personally I didn't like the idea of this Bridge Officer's Exam. I hated that anyone with similar creditials could take that test and all of sudden outrank other officers who were more competent.

That is true with professional certifications and degrees in today's world as well. It isn't enough to put knowing a skill on your resume, you need an outside source to prove it.

I agree she shouldn't have been promoted to full Commander just by passing the test, unless maybe she had the time in rank / time in service combination to merit such a promotion and that test was the only thing holding her back. (This is a possibility however. She did say that some people from her graduating class had already achieved that rank.) Data, Worf, and Yar would have had to pass the same test for their positions (and in theory so should have Wesley) but they did not get up to that rank.

I seriously doubt Troi would have came up with that solution on her own without Riker's prompting. Riker should have stuck with his original decision and not counted Troi's unauthorized retake.