Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

'Dr. Phil' staff bails out girl charged in beating

BARTOW, Fla. - Employees of the “Dr. Phil” television show posted bail for a central Florida teenager jailed for taking part in a videotaped beating of another teen, a spokeswoman for the show’s host confirmed Saturday.

Staff members of the talk show helped Mercades Nichols — one of eight teens facing charges in the case — post bond this weekend, “Dr. Phil” McGraw’s spokeswoman Terri Corigliano said in an e-mail.

“We have helped guests and potential guests in the past when they need financial assistance to come on the show — assisting with clothing allowance, lost wages, accommodations, travel and necessities,” Corigliano wrote. “In this case, certain staff members went beyond our guidelines (re the bail being paid).

“These staff members have been spoken to and our policies reiterated. In addition, we have decided not to go forward with the story as our guidelines have been compromised.”

The show’s producers were in the process of booking guests for a program about the case, Corigliano wrote.

Only two of the teens remained jailed late Saturday night, Polk County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Scott Wilder said.

The teens, whose ages range from 14 to 18, face kidnapping and misdemeanor battery charges. Three also face a felony charge of witness tampering. The state attorney’s office says all will be tried as adults.

They are accused of participating in a violent beating of another teenager, which was videotaped and has now been viewed widely on national television and the Internet.

A judge on Friday set bails ranging from $30,000 to $37,000 for the teenagers.

McGraw drew criticism earlier this year when he confronted troubled pop star Britney Spears at the UCLA Medical Center during a stay at the facility.

These girls deserve to stay in jail. Dr. Phil is an A-1 A.$$ for bailing her out. He is such a phony. I can't understand why he is still popular. He doesn't even have a license to practice anymore!

well he didn't do it, some members of his staff did and he didn't approve of it.

Yeah....you keep on believing that!..... :hug:

Just like he didn't plan on turning his visit with Britney Spears into an entire show, right?..... :wow:

These girls deserve to stay in jail. Dr. Phil is an A-1 A.$$ for bailing her out. He is such a phony. I can't understand why he is still popular. He doesn't even have a license to practice anymore!

The article I read said they wouldn't be covering it on his show because the producer who bailed her out violated protocol. I guess we'll see if she shows up.

I saw another interview of the victim's mother - it was interesting to hear the Sheriff say one of the perpetrator's mother was on a talk show just for her time in the limelight - no wonder these kids have no scruples. Maybe that should start charging parents for not raising their kids right.

If Dr. Phil does not air the show I am more inclined to believe that it is not because of someone breaking protocol, but instead because the public found out about them posting the bail.