Sign in to follow this  
Kyalia

The X-Files

It was a pretty good show, but got pretty bad at the end... what do you guys think marked the beginning of the end?

I'm saying when Mulder disappeared.

I have to say that I stopped watching the show regularly the season after the film came out, however I consider the dip in quality to have started during the third season.

In my opinion the best years of the X-Files were the first and second, when episodes were darker in tone and more diverse. But in later years the rehash of ideas began to turn into cliché and turned an interesting show to a rather tired and predictable one.

I also disliked the need to actually explain the aliens and their intentions in more detail as I feel this limited the show and forced it down an unappealing route that lost any mystery and suspense. I preferred the shadowy feel of the early years that seemed to be a commentary of our times and did not share the need to know exact details, I feel a similar way to horror in that I think things work better when implied rather than shown in excess.

In the end we were left with the indestructible cigarette smoking man, who was killed so many times that it became dull, and new main characters that were continuously replaced.

Carter would have kept his prodigy status had the show not continued after the film IMO.

I think the series jumped the shark when they moved production from Vancouver to LA the season before Mulder left. The whole feel of the series changed. Vancouver's weather was perfect for the atmosphere of the show and when it moved to "sunny" LA it really lost a lot of that atmosphere.

I have to agree with those people who already said that "X-Files" lost its spirit when Mulder left.

For me X-Files only was complete with Mulder and Scully in it :laugh::laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

I ALSO AGREE IT LOST SOMETHING WHEN MOULDER LEFT. BUT IT WAS STARTING TO GO DOWN HILL ANYWAY I WAS GETTING TIRED OF A STORY WITH MEAT ON THE ALIEN SUBJECT THEN A MONTH OF CRAP EPISODES. ALSO WHAT WAS UP WITH SCULLY FOR SO LONG? SHE WOULD SEE SOOOO MUCH PROOF OF THE ALIEN EXISTENCE BUT IN THE END SHE STILL WOULDNT BELEIVE IT.

For me, the show felt like it was coming to an end with season 7. I was kind of glad Mulder left, leaving Scully as the main character. Agents Dogget and Reyes brought new life to the show. Also, technically, Mulder didn't leave the show till season 9, the final season. He had signed on and was considerred the star durring half of season 8. However, he did return for the series finale and has said he'd love to do a series of X-Files movies, it's just that he wanted off the show, he didn't want to be done with X-Files as a whole.

They're making another movie, I heard-- I think it might work if they're careful with it and make sure to remind people of the plot before.

Well, the finale ended with the "big secret" being that the world will be invaded by aliens in 2012. I'm hoping the next movie will resolve this little dillema. The finale was almost like a cliffhanger, I was convinced it was a "build up" to a movie, then no movie. :lol:

Well, the finale ended with the "big secret" being that the world will be invaded by aliens in 2012.  I'm hoping the next movie will resolve this little dillema.  The finale was almost like a cliffhanger, I was convinced it was a "build up" to a movie, then no movie. :lol:

yes that was my disapointment as well. i want a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Missed Most Of The Last 2 Seasons...Saw Some...But Not Much.

So...If They Do Make Second Movie, Would It Be A Good Idea For Me To See The Last 2 Seasons?

you really didnt miss too much. maybe watch the last few eps, and i think you'll be fine. i know i wasnt watching faithfully just because a lot of the eps were just more or less like a filler between eps with meat.

The X-Files was a good show,but I thought it started to fizzle out towards the end and when Mulder left I think that was it.

Mulder and Scully made that show.

Strange, everyone thinks the show fizzled when Mulder left, me, it was fizzling out durring Season 7, having Mulder leave durring Season 8 and introducing John Dogget, and in Season 9, Monica Reyes totally re-invented the show for the better in my opinion.