Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Woman Stops Alleged Burglar With Scraper

Woman Stops Alleged Burglar With Scraper

AP

Posted: 2008-04-08 17:47:37

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - Cedar Rapids police say a woman chased down a burglar, bagged him with an ice scraper and then made him pick up the stolen loot he dropped when he fled.

Police were called to Derdre Rodriguez's home on Monday where they found her holding 16-year-old Jake Merfeld at bay with the ice scraper.

She told officers that when she came home, she heard someone jump out of a back window. She saw the teen running across the yard, carrying jewelry, cell phones and a video game.

Rodriguez chased the suspect, who started dropping the items. When she caught him, she hit him on top of the head with the ice scraper and he surrendered. Rodriguez made Merfeld pick up the property he dropped when he tried to escape.

Merfeld, who was treated for a cut on his head, faces a second-degree burglary charge.

What a wuss!

Maybe she's a big woman and he's a little teenager. Maybe it a mean ice scraper .....

I had a great little ice scraper but I left it in my car when I moved to Fla and it melted.

She could possibly end up getting charged with assault. She chased him down and hit him so her life wasn't in danger, he wasn't in her home anymore so the threat was gone.

A buddy of mine caught someone breaking into his car, the guy (a 16 year old) broke the back window and was half way into the car when my buddy (a former tunnel rat in Vietnam) saw him. He grabbed him by the lags and pulled him out of the car. The kid hit the ground breaking his nose. The kid was arrested of course but so was my friend for assault.

The kid escaped from detention so the charges against my friend were dropped, but still you have to be careful now a days.