Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Charlton Heston Dead at 84

2008_04_06t003654_334x450_us_heston.jpg

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Actor Charlton Heston died on Saturday night, his family said in a statement. He was 84.

The Oscar-winning Heston, who was also president of the influential National Rifle Association lobbying group, died at his home in Beverly Hills with his wife, Lydia, the family said.

Heston, whose chiseled features and commanding presence won him epic roles from Moses to Michelangelo, had announced in 2002 that he was suffering symptoms of Alzheimer's disease.

"To his loving friends, colleagues and fans, we appreciate your heartfelt prayers and support. Charlton Heston was seen by the world as larger than life," the family said.

"No one could ask for a fuller life than his. No man could have given more to his family, to his profession, and to his country. In his own words, 'I have lived such a wonderful life! I've lived enough for two people'," the statement added.

The family said a private memorial service would be held.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080406/people_nm/heston_dc_2

A truly great actor. The last new thing I saw him in was when he played Colonel Hooker in "Tombstone".

His best Role was as Moses in the 10 commandments, I love that movie awesome special effects for when it was filmed

but I heard he had Alzheimer's, and I watched that disease claim my Grandmother and saw what it made her, and I hate to say this but if he did have this disease its really better off being dead cause it takes away everything that you are/were

Great Actor with a Great legacy!

My favorite was Planet of the Apes - but I liked Ben Hur as well.

I'm sad he spent his final years with such a terrible illness; however as has been said - he lived a full life.

He was an awesome actor. I will always remember his portrayal as Moses in The Ten Commandments as one of his finest moments on film. He was a truly honorable man that had the integrity to stand up for gun owners rights as a leading voice within the NRA and he also was quite active with various charity groups. RIP Charlton Heston.

Edited by GhostofMajorHayes

I never saw Ben Hur!

Really? It's a classic. It's a long movie at 212 minutes (3 hours 32 minutes) but everyone should watch it at least once. It's been years since I've seen it.

I never saw Ben Hur!

Really? It's a classic. It's a long movie at 212 minutes (3 hours 32 minutes) but everyone should watch it at least once. It's been years since I've seen it.

Ben Hur is a classic! Trivia: He studied acting at Northwestern Univ. in Evanston and met his wife there. He was a great actor and will always be remembered for his work, including the Sci-Fi classic Planet of the Apes. R.I.P. Charlton Heston.

Edited by trekz