Sign in to follow this  
Kor37

Circuit City Botches GPS Install, $12K In Damages, Won't Pay

Circuit City Botches GPS Install, $12k in Damages, Won't Pay Up

Posted Mar 31st 2008 1:02PM by Tim Stevens

Filed under: Audio/Video, Car Tech

For most GPS systems, installation is as simple as sticking a suction cup on the windshield or an adhesive disc on the dash, plugging in an adapter to the cigarette lighter, and hitting the power button. But, if you want something a little more flush and integrated, you have to go with a device installed in your dash. Unless you're the adventuresome type and know what you're doing, dashboard installation is usually a task best left to the professionals. We say "usually" because we've come across a case where paying someone else to do the install was plainly the wrong call, resulting in $12,119 in damages to a 2007 Honda Civic Si.

The woefully bad install job was done at a local Circuit City store, where "qualified" technicians were attempting to install an AVIC-Z2. The installer proceeded to cut the wiring harness from the stock stereo, twist and solder together a new one, drill holes in the heating system, scratch up the front windshield, and crack all the plastic panels surrounding the thing. Sounds to us like the guy who tried to install his home satellite system with a .22 pistol could have done a better job. The install is so bad that the local Honda dealership won't release the car, saying all the shorted wires are a fire hazard.

The most irritating part of the story is that Circuit City isn't ponying up for the damages. To date, the electronics retailer has only paid $3,190, about a quarter of the total damages, and is forcing the victim in question to deal directly with his insurance company rather than just cutting him a check. That is some seriously bad customer service, which we hope will be rectified soon in light of the atrocious publicity this installation-fiasco is generating for the chain.

How ridiculous on the part of Circuit City. The poor publicity this is generating is going to cost them way more than the cost of reimbursing the owner of the car...... :lol:

How ridiculous on the part of Circuit City. The poor publicity this is generating is going to cost them way more than the cost of reimbursing the owner of the car...... :tribble:

So true

The only thing I ever thought Circuit City was good for was shoplifting Playstation games back when I was a bit naughtier than I am now.

How ridiculous on the part of Circuit City. The poor publicity this is generating is going to cost them way more than the cost of reimbursing the owner of the car...... :lol:

So true

Very true. Also, by not mentioning the city or state, it could be anywhere, so it could affect sales nationwide.

The only thing I ever thought Circuit City was good for was shoplifting Playstation games back when I was a bit naughtier than I am now.

well I need to FWD this post to my friend Thom who works for the FBI

BRB! :lol:

UPDATE:

Circuit City Comes Through After Trashing Man's Honda Civic

by Donald Melanson, posted Apr 16th 2008 at 10:30AM

A few weeks ago, Circuit City seriously botched the car stereo installation of VTECnical, a user posting on 8thcivic.com (a Honda Civic forum). Circuit City's installation of the Pioneer AVIC Z2 GPS went horribly wrong and severely damaged the car, burdening VTECnical with over $12,000 in damages. The local Honda dealership deemed the car unsafe to drive because it was a fire hazard.

Now according to Autoblog, however, it appears that not only has Circuit City's insurance provider come through with over $10,000 to cover repair costs, but Circuit City has paid out the remaining amount itself, and it threw in a brand new $2,000 Pioneer AVIC Z2 to boot. No word if VTECnical's going to have Circuit City install it or not though.

Why couldn't they have just done the right thing in the first place? If it were me, I would have made Circuit City pay Best Buy to install the stereo....... :wow: