Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

Site Upgrade and Skin changes

I'll be upgrading the site to Invision's new software soon, the upgrade will mean that I have to redesign our "skin" though. The "skin" is the theme of what you see (the colors, stars and image icons).

In the past I've always made the skin myself but have limited time to sit and make our skin work with the new software so I'm going to hire a firm to make a professional custom skin for us.

That may take a few days to get completed though, so if you visit and notice a generic skin on the site, or if it's our usual skin but some of the elements don't quite look right that's why. It's just a matter of having this firm make our skin for us.

As you can see I've upgraded the board now. This skin is just temporary until our new one is ready in a day or 2 so you may see some odd looking screens until the new skin is installed.

Give me some examples, because I'm going to continue to develope this skin when I have more time and let this be a secondary choice for everyone.

I like it kevin..like you said..needs a bit of tweeking but on my laptop it looks cool :tribble:

I like it kevin..like you said..needs a bit of tweeking but on my laptop it looks cool :tribble:

Yeah, I just put this skin on so we'd have the dark background that everyone's used to until the custom skin is completed by the company that I hired. I'm anxious to see what they design.

Yeah, I just put this skin on so we'd have the dark background that everyone's used to until the custom skin is completed by the company that I hired. I'm anxious to see what they design.

The skin your using now has a better Resolution then the old one,its like the colors are coming out the screen and slapping me in the face..lol

Wow getting a company to create one for you cant be cheap..cant wait to see what they come up with then :dude:

Good news is that is shows up correctly with Firefox, (no white bar at the top)

A couple suggestions though for your developing.

1) Change the white border lines to black so that they are not visable.

2) Around the Fast reply change the colors as the text for the choices is not visable without highlighting it.

The skin your using now has a better Resolution then the old one,its like the colors are coming out the screen and slapping me in the face..lol

Wow getting a company to create one for you cant be cheap..cant wait to see what they come up with then :tribble:

Yeah, it's not cheap at all. A lot more than I really wanted to pay but I decided it was worth it to have one profssionally made once and for all.

It's better now. However, I don't like how the font right aligns, I like the center better.

I'm not sure I understand. What do you mean about the font?

It's better now. However, I don't like how the font right aligns, I like the center better.

I'm not sure I understand. What do you mean about the font?

I think what he is talking about is that before the forum names, topic titles, and the text in the topics was automatically centered, whereas now it is all left aligned by default.

Myself I kinda like it left aligned since that is what I was used to "back in the day" when things first started.

That center alignment in firefox was actually a skin error that never should have been happening. Left align is how it should be.

i got used to it being centered. but oh well. btw, some reason when i tried entering the chat...it said i had a invaild username and password

Well, maybe you could make a choice available to either left align or center. Also, one thing I've noticed is that I have had to sign in with each visit, even though I have keep me signed in checked.

I'll see what I can do on the centering, that was an error though and not something that was done on purpose. I'm not sure how I'd do it lol. I'll try to figure it out though.

The logging in issue sounds like your computer isn't keeping our cookies.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is our text spoiler is back. This spoiler is a bit different than the one we used to have though.

If you look under the smilies you'll see a few tags, of which the Spoiler is one. If you'll highlight the area below this sentence you'll see the spoiler text that is contained here.

This text is hidden by the Spoiler and only visible when you highlight it.

Kevin, I have an observation / request..I noticed when I posted my last David Reddick comic the board resized it to 66% of it's original size. Sure we can click on it to open another window with the full size..Just wondering if the allowable display image can be increased some..No big deal if it can't..

Here's the thread..You can see how the previous strips I posted are full size in the the thread..

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...mp;#entry434255

2) Around the Fast reply change the colors as the text for the choices is not visable without highlighting it.

Kevin, my advice as a Web Designer- it is so advanced, I love it!

I have to agree with what I have quoted.

I like the fact the links aren't invisible on Firefox now! :vbg:

what would be cool IMO and its only a suggestion IDK if your able to do it, have a music Player on here that can play all the Themes from Star Trek, if there is a way that can be done it would be pretty cool

I was wondering what happened to the board.

I know that I haven't been here in a few weeks, but this was unexpected.

Kevin, I have an observation / request..I noticed when I posted my last David Reddick comic the board resized it to 66% of it's original size. Sure we can click on it to open another window with the full size..Just wondering if the allowable display image can be increased some..No big deal if it can't..

Here's the thread..You can see how the previous strips I posted are full size in the the thread..

http://www.startrekfans.net/index.php?show...mp;#entry434255

Fixed that so it's full size now.

Kevin, my advice as a Web Designer- it is so advanced, I love it!

I have to agree with what I have quoted.

I like the fact the links aren't invisible on Firefox now! :lol:

Once the new skin is completed and installed thisgs will look much different. The skin that you're seeing now will be further developed over time but this is really just a temp skin until the redesign is done.

what would be cool IMO and its only a suggestion IDK if your able to do it, have a music Player on here that can play all the Themes from Star Trek, if there is a way that can be done it would be pretty cool

I'll look into that possibility and see what I can do.

Ok, I finally got the new skin installed. It took a while because the company that I paid refused to fix some things that I didn't like about what they had done so I had to make the corrections myself. If you'd like to see their version of the new skin just scroll to the bottom of the screen and use the Skin selector in the bottom left corner. Their version is named StarTrekFans, this version is STARTREKFANS VI and if you want the original version back that one is STARTREKFANS V.

More alterations or additions may come soon but for now this is the new skin, you can use any of the skins in the selector that you wish though.

Also, for FireFox users I'm aware of the User Links bar issue with all of the links jumbled on one side. I'm going to try to correct that soon and have a FireFox friendly version soon.