Sign in to follow this  
TransporterMalfunction

Kes v 7 of 9

Who do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer?

• Kes
    • Seven of Nine

We all know that Seven was basically the replacement for the hole left by Kes, however would you have liked to see Kes have stayed on or wish she had never hit the screens and let Seven take her place earlier?

Who do you like the most?

KES!

I had such high hopes for Kes's character to take me places I had never gone before (might as well say it here and get it over with: as did many of the other charaters) but those dreams became nightmares thanks to the writing. 7 did eventually grow on me but I would rather have had Kes.

I voted Kes. She had nicer clothes and was more human, even though she wasn't, and she's a better actress. :dude:

I voted Kes she was just getting good when they took her off and when seven came on it became the seven and janeway show I think it would have been a lot better if they had kept kes.

I prefer Kes to 7..Seems to be a popular opinion on this thread...Kes was much more human and personable wasn't she?...

Edited by spacetigger

Stardate:213658.8

I liked Kes better.Dont get me wrong I liked Seven too but i prefered Kes

I really liked Kes a lot. But I voted for Seven of 9, because to me she brought more to the overall Voyager plot/story. Her life, her struggles, her relationship with the crew was far more interesting to me.........Actually, I wish both could have stayed aboard the ship.

Another vote for Seven. I liked Kes, but there was something about her that annoyed me. I can't even say for sure what, just something didn't sit right with me. I loved the Seven.

Kes. However, its not an easy answer. I loved both characters. I actualy liked Seven more because she was 'less human'. I liked the fact that she wasn't another nice warm fuzzy charactr who was shallow and could be understod easily and who become a welcome part of the crew with the minimum amount of fuss. I loved that she was alien and brittle and different, that she was an engima. That we had to follow Janeway on her long quest to understand and help Seven, so that we might begin to get an insight into her ourselves. That she was complex. That she caused ripples among the Voyager crew. That she really really developed as a character and as a person and that we get to see this ourselves. That we learned to love her, and weren't able to figure her out the instant she arrived. That she triumphed.

Still...for reasons I can't articulate, Kes. I don't think she was 'better' then Seven, I just liked Kes more. Possibly because her character was not 'overusd', like I think Seven's was. That's the only thing I didn't like about Seven, (not Seven's character) that the producers felt they had to hammer home the message that Seven-was-a-drone-but-Janeway-restored-her-humanity-shucks. However, that is a minor niggle, a 'nit pick'.

I'm off to look out for some earlier VOY shows to see why I like Kes so much...

I like Kes more than Seven (though I could never understand her having Neelix as boyfriend :dude: ).

I have to admit that Seven was an important member of the crew against the Borg - but I never liked her "coolness" against all the other crew members. I prefer nice people, so I pick Kes :P :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

I believe Jeri Ryan is a very talented actress. She can truly transform herself for a role. The difference between Seven and Mrs Cook on Boston Public is incredible, and both characters are convincing. I enjoyed Seven's theme of learning to become human again after being in the collective for so long. Many characters in Star Trek have had a role similar to this (ex: Data) but Ryan's mananged to put a unique spin on it.

I preferred Kes to Seven. It's too bad that Kes did not remain on Voyager so that her entire life cycle could have been explored, and the reaction of the crew to her life changes. The one episode where an old and embittered Kes travels back in time to try to destroy Voyager does little to deal with the questions we have: what happened to her during the years she was separated from Janeway and company? What changed her, nearly leading to her destruction?

Of course many of the Seven episodes dealing with her struggle with emotion were excellent.

I believe Seven gave the writers more room to explore. Maybe if they had made the Kes character different it would have had more possibilities. The races lifespan was so short there was no possible longterm direction unless they re-wrote the "rules" for her lifespan. As for the 2 actresses to me it's "six one way half a dozen the other". The dramatic possibilities of an assimilated human being "un-assimilated" though are more interesting, to me anyway.

I prefered Seven.

She seemed more realistic, she had flaws. She had dificulty with the concept of humanity.

I liked Kes, but she was way too perfect and had a 'too good to be true' air about that kind of bugged me...

Kes, becuase she was the one that was able to evolve through the show, both physically and mentally. Although one cannot relate with her with the telepathy, her kindness of her heart and and caring towards others, is something that everyone can relate to. I personally feel that the switch between the Kes character and Seven was a horrible mistake, but nonetheless, I liked both characters development.

I thought introducing Seven was a great idea, well, except the catsuit part. I didn't mind having Kes leave as having 10 characters would be a bit much. I also noticed that they were trying to bring Kes full circle with having the episode "Before and After" and then her considerring leaving Voyager in a later episode, then her hyper-stimulated development of her powers, thanks to Species 8472, which lead to her evolution and departure from Voyager. My only complaint was that she only had one guest star episode. Look at Wesley from TNG. He returned several times after he left the show. I dunno, I was just expecting more Kes guest-star episodes. In any event, I enjoed both characters equally.

I picked 7. I agree that Ryan did a great job. I also liked Seven's struggle to find her individuality.

KES!

I had such high hopes for Kes's character to take me places I had never gone before (might as well say it here and get it over with: as did many of the other charaters) but those dreams became nightmares thanks to the writing. 7 did eventually grow on me but I would rather have had Kes.

Yeah,what he said. :laugh:

I voted for Seven of Nine. I thought she bought more to the show but I would have preferred if they both were on Star Trek: Voyager. :bow:

Seven,of course!

I sure wish she would visit the playhouse :hug:

I could have Conkie 2000 send the kids home and....

oh oh,this is how Pee Wee got in trouble in the 1st place :lol:

I believe Seven gave the writers more room to explore. Maybe if they had made the Kes character different it would have had more possibilities. The races lifespan was so short there was no possible longterm direction unless they re-wrote the "rules" for her lifespan.

I believe the writers "chickened out" of the dealing with the consequences of having made Kes a character which would have to age, decline, and possibly die within the period of the show's run. They missed an opportunity to deal with one of few areas of social commentary that Star Trek has not visited convincingly -- dealing with the aging, decline, and death of someone dear.

They have had episodes that deal with aging, but often there is some superfast aging, and then restoration in the end, and no deep emotional consequences for the crew.

The only time Star Trek kills off major characters is when the actors want to leave the show. I am not saying that only Kes's death would have completed her story. I am saying they avoided the difficulty of the crew living with her decline, continuing to care about her, perhaps having to eventually "relieve her of her duties in sickbay or the hydroponics lab." And the one episode that dealt with an aged, embittered Kes still left me feeling cheated out of what could have been in terms of completing her story.

Edited by mjham