Sign in to follow this  
TJ Phaserman

Runaway lawnmower kills monk

LONDON (Reuters) - A Buddhist monk from Japan was killed after slipping and falling under the blades of his runaway tractor lawnmower, an inquest into his death has found.

The Reverend Seiji Handa, 50, was cutting the grass around his peace pagoda in the English city of Milton Keynes when the accident occurred last August.

He got out of the tractor to inspect something but the vehicle, which was pulling a multi-bladed grass cutting machine, slipped its handbrake.

The coroner's office in Milton Keynes, northwest of London, said it had recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Handa, from Niigata in Japan, came to Britain in 1978, when he began building a pagoda to promote peace. He had tended the pagoda with the help of nuns ever since. His main job was to trim the 12 acres of lawns around the monument.

I guess he wasn't cut for the job. :hug:

I'm sorry :nono: I couldn't pass that up. Of all the things for a monk to killed by, a runaway lawn mower.

That sounds like a bad pun from an Austin Powers Movie

On one occasion the Buddha asked several of the monks, "How often do you contemplate death?"

One of them replied, "Lord, I contemplate death every day."

"Not good enough," the Buddha said, and asked another monk, who replied,

"Lord, I contemplate death with each mouthful that I eat during the meal."

"Better, but not good enough," said the Buddha, "What about you?"

The third monk said, "Lord, I contemplate death with each inhalation and each exhalation."

That's all it takes, the inhalation comes in, it goes out, and one day it won't come in again - and that's it. That's all there is between you and death, just that inhalation, the next inhalation.

Although, it was an accidental death. He was performing an action to bring peace to others from his loving compassionate kindness.

Venerable One, may you have happy future lives.

Perhaps he wasn't too enlightened when he failed to follow the directions of the mower, and common sense. Turn the mower OFF before doing anything around, I dunno, spinning razor sharp blades.

Where was his god?

I know where Imaginationland, I feel bad for people who dedicate their lives for fairy tales

I know you're bitter - but no call to insult this man's life. God isn't about having the ideal life - He is about findng peace with the one you have. As tragic as this poor man's death was - I think he was probably at peace when he was alive which puts him a step ahead of a lot of people.

This is quite sad.