Sign in to follow this  
A l t e r E g o

Trek Discontinuity

Just because I enjoy nit-picking... from the top!

"I bet Jim Kirk himself hauled the ol' gal outta mothballs to come lookin' for me!"

Since he had spent the last 70 or so years stuck in a transporter buffer, I bet he also that "the ol' gal" was the 1701... no bloody A, B, C, or D.

"Can he breathe?"

First of all, what does the kid mean by this? Does he mean "Does he inhale atmosphere so that his circulatory system can deliver oxygen throughout all his internal tissues?" Or does he mean "Does he go through the motions?" Chances are, he means the first one, which would mean he's wondering whether or not Data would drown. Which means that Picard was correct when he said that Data doesn't breathe. Also, if the clip from "Birthright" hadn't been cut short, we would've heard Data said that his "breathing" was a method of keeping is internal temperature steady. Something which would probably work just as well with water rather than air.

"I did not have enough bouyancy to get back to the surface."

Well, we did see him walking along the bottom of the lake...

"If Data is bulletproof why is he afraid of this 19th century gun?"

Funny, he doesn't look afraid. If anything, he's more concerned with the fact that if he made any sudden movements, Twain might shoot someone else.

"Also he shouldn't be vulnerable to wooden arrows."

No one ever said that the bullets didn't penetrate into his body. We just know that they weren't capable of doing any significant damage.

"I've never kissed you with a beard before!"

Their relationship had ended years before. Suddenly he shows up feeling amorous. She made an excuse to get him out of her quarters.

"Notice how Picard finds this private artifact and just throws it away and leaves it there."

First of all, he had just lost his family. So the most important thing to him was his family album.

Secondly, what's to say he never went back to the planet? I'm sure there's other stuff that he wanted back, as well. Such as the Mintakan cloth he received in "Who Watches the Watchers?" that he still had in ST:FC.

"The Emotion Chip..."

This seems to be two simultaneous errors... one being the size and shape of the chip, the other being where it gets plugged into Data. But remember, when Data got it back from Lore at the end of "Descent, Pt. II," the chip had been damaged. Any repairs may have very well altered its configuration, which would explain both discontinuities.

"Trilithium?"

Yeah, that one's a blatant discontinuity.

"The Emotion Chip, Part II"

The emotion chip was originally irreparably damaged. Well, they managed to fix it. So even though it got fused to Data's neural net, they couldn't later figure out how to unfuse it? Not to mention figuring out how to give Data direct access to it?

"The warp coil."

Riker says the warp coil was invented in the 22nd century. We see the Phoenix launch in the 21st century? Discontinuity? Hardly. We don't know for a fact that warp speed is impossible without the warp coil. Besides, maybe warp coils were responsible for the creation of the Warp 5 engine in Enterprise.

Of course, Riker did say "before there was warp drive..."

"There's 50 million people living on the moon."

Um, no there aren't.

"Obsolete in the New Order."

When Locutus says that Data will be obsolete, he's talking about Data's technology. When the Borg Queen called Data her equal, she's talking about his mind. Two different things. Beside, she was just using him to get computer control. She may have intended to dispose of him afterwards, since he would no longer be of any use to her.

"Projections suggest that a Borg ship like this one could continue to function effectively even if 78% of it was inoperable."

Key words... projections suggest. Plus those projections don't take into account any Achille's Heels.

"Our best shot barely scratched the surface."

Notice, in "Q, Who?" the holes left by their best shots were completely gone about 15 minutes later...

"Money doesn't exist in the 24th century."

This is a problem that spans almost every Trek series.

"Data's mother tells him about his brothers but says they all died except for Lore and Data."

Her exact words were "your Father lost several prototypes before Lore." That doesn't mean they "died." It may mean that there were flaws in the prototypes technology that result is a limit in what they could accomplish, so they were deactivated so Soong could start again from scratch.

"Was Picard bald at the academy?"

I have no hair in this picture. Does that mean that I'm bald? No, it just means I shaved my head once. Likewise, since we see Picard with hair at a time when he's about to graduate, obviously, no, he was not bald, either.

"An ambassador who will go Targ hunting with me!"

So, what... because Worf was an ambassador, Riker and Troi would suddenly decide to keep him off the guest list to their wedding?

"But he wasn't the only one who changed his mind."

Maybe Wesley wore the uniform just for the wedding?

"How many decks does this ship have?!"

Who cares, as long as it doesn't have 76 decks like the Ent-A did.

"That's a big pit under Deck 29..."

Except the fight took place on deck 14 according to a turbolift door, if I remember correctly. What, did you think the Remans would just sit around on Deck 29 waiting for security to get there?

"Have you completely recovered from your experience with the Borg?"

Most people do think they've recovered from traumatic experiences soon after, only to learn something else further down the line.

"I will not grow old."

His appearance may change, but that doesn't mean much. Consider the 500 year age difference between his head and his body...

Just wanted to add my comments to yours:

Just because I enjoy nit-picking... from the top!

"If Data is bulletproof why is he afraid of this 19th century gun?"

Funny, he doesn't look afraid. If anything, he's more concerned with the fact that if he made any sudden movements, Twain might shoot someone else.

I agree with you here plus if they had shown other parts of that clip then it would have been seen that as Data started to go towards Clemens that Picard motioned for him to stop.

"I've never kissed you with a beard before!"

Their relationship had ended years before. Suddenly he shows up feeling amorous. She made an excuse to get him out of her quarters.

If we want to get really technical most of the footage they used of Troi and Riker rolling around on the floor in their work out outfits was of Troi and Thomas Riker, not Will.

There's 50 million people living on the moon."

Um, no there aren't.

I believe that Riker says that in his time there are 50 million living on the moon. Was it said in any Trek episode that the moon was uninhabited in the 24th century?

"Projections suggest that a Borg ship like this one could continue to function effectively even if 78% of it was inoperable."

Key words... projections suggest. Plus those projections don't take into account any Achille's Heels.

Completely agree. Shelby was going off very limited information while Picard was using knowledge he gained first hand from being part of the Collective.

"Data's mother tells him about his brothers but says they all died except for Lore and Data."

Her exact words were "your Father lost several prototypes before Lore." That doesn't mean they "died." It may mean that there were flaws in the prototypes technology that result is a limit in what they could accomplish, so they were deactivated so Soong could start again from scratch.

Another thing, Geordie was basically making assumptions as to when B4 was created. He really had no way of knowing for sure whether B4 was created before Lore and Data or after. Yes B4 was less sophisticated but his construction may not have been completed for whatever reason.

"Was Picard bald at the academy?"

I have no hair in this picture. Does that mean that I'm bald? No, it just means I shaved my head once. Likewise, since we see Picard with hair at a time when he's about to graduate, obviously, no, he was not bald, either.

EXACTLY!!! The events that Picard "relived" in Tapestry took place AFTER graduation from the Academy. The picture of Picard bald could have been taken during his first year at the Academy - it wasn't said. To insist that a person couldn't have changed their hairstyle even once over the course of 4 years is silly IMO.

"An ambassador who will go Targ hunting with me!"

So, what... because Worf was an ambassador, Riker and Troi would suddenly decide to keep him off the guest list to their wedding?

Worf was definitely in Starfleet at the wedding as he was part of the Enterprise crew in Nemesis. However I don't see why people can't accept that maybe he didn't like being an Ambassador and had returned to Starfleet some time between the end of DS9 and Nemesis. It was in the script that he said he wasn't cut out to be a diplomat and had returned to Starfleet but that didn't make it into the final cut of the movie.

In the script and deleted scene it did say that Wes was back in Starfleet. The thing that gets me is that some people can't accept that maybe he changed his mind during the almost 10 years that had passed between when Wes went with the Traveller (2370) and when Nemesis took place (2379).

Edited by Takara_Soong

There's 50 million people living on the moon."

Um, no there aren't.

I believe that Riker says that in his time there are 50 million living on the moon. Was it said in any Trek episode that the moon was uninhabited in the 24th century?

No, it wasn't. But Riker also went on to say that several cities would be visible "on a day like this." And the video clearly shows that every other time we see the moon, there are no visible structures, never mind cities.

In the script and deleted scene it did say that Wes was back in Starfleet. The thing that gets me is that some people can't accept that maybe he changed his mind during the almost 10 years that had passed between when Wes went with the Traveller (2370) and when Nemesis took place (2379).

It's also possible that Wesley never actually resigned his commission. His time with the Traveller could have been regarded by Starfleet as a "special assignment."

It's also possible that Wesley never actually resigned his commission. His time with the Traveller could have been regarded by Starfleet as a "special assignment."

In the episode Journey's End Wes does resign from Starfleet after Picard had confronted him about the incident on the planet.

As I said, I don't understand why people can't accept that stuff happens off camera and we see the results of that on screen. An example of what I mean is the relationship of Miles and Keiko O'Brien. We didn't see Data introduce them. We didn't see them date. That happened off camera and we were simply told about it in Data's Day when they were about to get married. Unfortunately with Nemesis, two scenes that would have stopped a lot of bickering about continuity ended up on the cutting room floor (the Worf and Wes deleted scenes).