Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

Would you miss your country?

One of the most thought provoking scenes of the new season of Jericho was when they took down the American flag and replaced it with the "allied states" flag. I didn't expect that to be so chilling and if you don't know the story of Jericho (well you're missing out) - its the story of a small Kansas town surviving a nuclear attack on the US. Well, this season they're putting things back together - sort of.... but they're beginning to realize the county they knew is gone (at least West of the Mississippi).

Sometimes I feel like these people when I read about all the political wranglings going on and I feel the public is sort of powerless - but this scenario was chilling. Do you ever think about how much you take your country for granted - whatever county that is.

I would definitely miss the US, despite its faults. I have roots that go back to colonial times here on one part of one side of my family, so I feel pretty American. I have served in the military for a few years, and have been a teacher and librarian for nearly three decades, serving the public here. I would miss this country since I have traveled to a few others briefly: Japan, the Phillipines, Canada, Germany, Ireland, and England, and despite the beauty of all of them, I missed the United States, and was happy to return. Yet this country is not perfect, nor are any. They all have positives and negatives. The control of corporations, and the rich over this country is disturbing imo, as is the tendency of our government to want to control not just this country but the actions of other sovereign countries, and the tendency to see the ends as justifying the means is scary to me.

The plot in Jericho, which I don't watch, where the country has been reconstituted after a nuclear attack, is a frightening scenario that I would imagine would chill most people.

We might see this unfold if they continue to pursue this policy of trying to unite Mexico,Canada and the United States into one country. They already are well on their way to do this economically. In our lifetime, we will almost certainly see the emergence of a common currency for these three countries.

What makes you say we are on the way to a common government? The European Union has been around since 1993 (not counting several precursor prganizations). The Euro has been around as an accounting currency since 1999. The European Central Bank (the equivalent to our Fed) has been around since 1998. No European governments or soverign states have merged together since these events. Why would NAFTA or a common currency for North America yield different results here?

Edited by Lt. Van Roy

Yes i would.

Watching the stars and stripes raised

to this day still gives me a feeling of security

and comfort. even in the world we now live in.

I honestly could not say one way or another. I'd actually have to live through it to know. You know the saying... you don't know what you're missing until it's gone.

This was the flag in the series. It's a fictional setting but one that really made me think about how lucky we are.

We do a lot of flag waving, eat hotdogs and watching fireworks that I'm afraid we forget that some people paid the ultimate price for our freedom. Over this last week I've had a small chance to read some about those who fought for our country's history and I marvel that there are those that would give their lives for the cause of freedom. At the same time wonder - if we would still have it in us to fight for our freedom - I believe we do. I don't think the rest of the world understands just how much Americans value their freedom but we owe it to all those who have fought so hard to be vigilant in preserving those freedoms which we have.

Again, thanks to all the men and women who have served our country.

Van Roy I think you need to read the news more carefully.

Over the last few years the EU has had more say in setting internal economic policy for individual member countries. That has traditionally been a function of individual nations. The EU has been involving itself in individual member country's political races by "recommending" candidates that will further the goals of the EU.

The EU was originally supposed to be a way to improve member country's economic power in terms of international trade and to have a common currency to make trade easier between member nations. It is more subtle in it's approach to non economic policies than let's say the U.N. which flat out states who it thinks should be elected in a country's elections.

I am proud to be English and if the need arose i would fight for my country like my Fore fathers before me..but do i miss England..not really i miss family but i dont miss the country,i have a better life over here in holland then the one i left behind in England.