Sign in to follow this  
newtothis

Not a fan of star trek, but i would love to learn about it.

hi, sorry if i insult anyone when i say i am not a fan of star trek, in fact i know nothing about it. That is why i chose to write about Star Trek, specifically the fans of Star Trek.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could give me.

I would like to know:

1. what a "true fan" of Star Trek is to you.

2. What makes Star Trek so great that thousands of people love and enjoy watching it?

3. Why did you become such a huge fan of Star Trek?

4. Anything about Star Trek that would help me out with finding information for my paper.

Or if you know any great websites or books i could check out, would you please let me know? thanks!

1. what a "true fan" of Star Trek is to you.

A true fan is someone that loves to watch Star Trek. It doesn't really matter how many of the TV series out of the five (or six including the animated series) they like, just as long as they have fun watching it. No matter how many times I watch Star Trek, I never get tired of seeing the same episode over and over again.

2. What makes Star Trek so great that thousands of people love and enjoy watching it?

Well, besides the series using episodes as symbolisms for today, the stories are just really well written and the action is great. The characters are easy to relate to, there is always at least one character that you can identify with. It just has everything that you would want out of a TV series; romance, action, drama, comedy, scifi, it's all there in one series. I think that everyone would be a Star Trek fan if they just sat down and watched instead of making fun of something they have never seen. All it takes is watching one really great episode, and you're hooked.

It also gives a lot of people hope for the future.

3. Why did you become such a huge fan of Star Trek?

Basically the same reasons anyone becomes a fan, as stated in the above #2.

4. Anything about Star Trek that would help me out with finding information for my paper.

A book that I love and would recommend is "Get A Life" by William Shatner and Chris Kreski. It gives the history of Star Trek conventions and interviews Trek stars, the people who work conventions and Star Trek fans. It is definitely a great source to check out. Many of your questions are asked in the book to fellow fans and they give their answers.

There is a new book out that might be of interest to you on this subject. I haven't yet seen it. Some info:

The Influence of Star Trek on Television, Film and Culture (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy #4 )

Contributor(s): Geraghty, Lincoln (Editor)

ISBN: 0786430346 EAN: 9780786430345

Publisher: McFarland & Company

US SRP: $ 35.00 US - (Discount: NET)

Binding: Paperback

Pub Date: September 2007

Publisher Marketing: When the first season of Star Trek opened to American television viewers in 1966, the thematically insightful sci-fi story line presented audiences with the exciting vision of a bold voyage into the final frontiers of space and strange, new galactic worlds. Moreover, it has presented an inspiring message for the future, addressing everything from social, political, philosophical, and ethical issues to progressive and humanist representations of race, gender, and class. This book contends that Star Trek is not just a set of television series, but has become a pervasive part of the identity of the millions of people who watch, read and consume the films, television episodes, network specials, novelizations, and fan stories. Examining Star Trek from various critical angles, the essays in this collection provide vital new insights into the myriad ways that the franchise has affected the culture it represents, the people who watch the series, and the industry that created it.

BISAC Categories:

- Performing Arts | Television | History & Criticism

- Performing Arts | Film & Video | History & Criticism

- Social Science | Popular Culture | General

LC Subjects:

- History and criticism - Star Trek films

- Star Trek television programs

Dewey: 791.4572

Series:

Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy

Brief Description:

When the first season of Star Trek opened to American television viewers in 1966, the thematically insightful sci-fi story line presented audiences with the exciting vision of a bold voyage into the final frontiers of space and strange, new galactic worlds. Perpetuating this enchanting vision, the story has become one of the longest running and most multifaceted franchises in television history. Moreover, it has presented an inspiring message for the future, addressing everything from social, political, philosophical, and ethical issues to progressive and humanist representations of race, gender, and class. This book contends that Star Trek is not just a set of television series, but has become a pervasive part of the identity of the millions of people who watch, read and consume the films, television episodes, network specials, novelizations, and fan stories. Examining Star Trek from various critical angles, the essays in this collection provide vital new insights into the myriad ways that the franchise has affected the culture it represents, the people who watch the series, and the industry that created it.

Contributor Bio: Lincoln Geraghty

Lincoln Geraghty is Senior Lecturer in Film Studies in the Department of Creative Arts, Film and Media, University of Portsmouth.