Sign in to follow this  
Stephen of Borg

Writers Union Have Reached Tentative Deal

The union representing Hollywood's striking writers said it reached a "tentative deal" with studios and will meet members later on Saturday to discuss ending a three-month walkout that has crippled television production and overshadowed the awards season.

The breakthrough was announced via e-mail to the 10,500 members of the Writers Guild of America (WGA), who went on strike for the first time in almost 20 years on November 5 in a dispute centering on compensation for work distributed over the Internet.

"While this agreement is neither perfect nor perhaps all that we deserve for the countless hours of hard work and sacrifice, our strike has been a success," WGA West president Patric Verrone and WGA East president Michael Winship said in the memo.

Members will meet in New York at 2 p.m. EST and in Los Angeles at 10 p.m. EST to discuss specific terms, the ratification process and ending the strike, the union added.

The WGA memo said the tentative deal "creates formulas for revenue-based residuals in new media, provides access to deals and financial data to help us evaluate and enforce those formulas, and establishes the principle that, 'When they get paid, we get paid."'

Officials from the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, the bargaining arm of the studios, were not immediately available for comment.

The strike has thrown the U.S. television industry into turmoil, derailed several movie productions and idled thousands of entertainment workers, from actors and directors to hairstylists, set designers and clerks.

The Los Angeles Economic Development Corp. has estimated the strike has cost the region's film and TV industry at least $650 million in wages, with over $1 billion more in lost earnings attributed to the ripple effect on the local economy.

The strike also has overshadowed the entertainment industry's annual awards season, even threatening to spoil the Oscars show later this month. Last month's Golden Globes awards ceremony was canceled after the actors' union said it would refuse to cross the writers' picket line.

The last major strike to hit Hollywood, a walkout by screenwriters in 1988, lasted 22 weeks and delayed the start of that year's fall television season

I wonder how long it will take to get things back in production - will there be any more new eps of any series for the remainder of the season. I guess some networks kept series staff on payroll but others didn't. I think some shows were cancelled mid season and there may not be anything to replace them until the fall.

Other shows such as Sarah Connor Chronicles and Jericho Season 2 were already filmed for a short season. Don't forget to watch Jericho this Tuesday the 12th. :tank:

I wonder how long it will take to get things back in production - will there be any more new eps of any series for the remainder of the season. I guess some networks kept series staff on payroll but others didn't. I think some shows were cancelled mid season and there may not be anything to replace them until the fall.

Other shows such as Sarah Connor Chronicles and Jericho Season 2 were already filmed for a short season. Don't forget to watch Jericho this Tuesday the 12th. :tank:

I've heard 8 weeks to get the scripted series back to the air.

One good thing is that our favorite shows will be on later in the season to make up for lost time.

One good thing is that our favorite shows will be on later in the season to make up for lost time.

One bad thing is that our favorite shows will be on later in the season.

The old the glass is half full vs. the glass is half empty argument. This could go on forever ... like the strike. :naughty:

I'm crossing my fingers 24 might still show some episodes, though it's probably unlikely. :frusty: The Oscars should at least air this month. <_< One thing for sure is that TV has been awful lately, so any new shows or episodes should be an improvement. And I'm glad the writers have gotten something positive out of this strike.

One bad thing is that our favorite shows will be on later in the season.

How is that a bad thing?

It could mean less summertime reruns.

One thing for sure is that TV has been awful lately, so any new shows or episodes should be an improvement.

They are truly scraping the barrel for new "reality" shows - or more accurately non-scripted dramas. I'm about to get rid cable of altogether. I've really only been waiting for Jericho to return. I've been watching dvd's - fortunately there are ten seaons of SG1 and 3 of Atlantis so I can be entertained for a while.

And I agree the writers deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

Bear in mind the SAG contract expires June 30th. Maybe the WGA strike will lay the groundworks for smooth negotiations for the SAG.