Sign in to follow this  
VaBeachGuy

History

What do you consider the most important event in Earth history (real history)?

It's hard for me to decide on a single event.

There's WWII, the American Civil and Revolutionary wars, Columbus' voyage across the Atlantic (I know he wasn't first), the Lunar landings.. so many events to pick from.

I think the most important thing to happen may be less of an event then a series of events. The development of the steam engine, the internal combustion engine, the air plane and eventually satellites and computer technology. All these things propelled humanity into what we are right now, for better or worse.

So my answer would be the Industrial revolution.

I think you mean human history - Earth history is much older

That's a hard one -- for right now I'll go with:

Guttenburg - printing press, without open access to the written word and thus dissemination of knowledge the Industrial Revolution probably wouldn't have happened.

(What is unreal history by the way?)

Other significant events

The shift from hunter-gatherer (nomadic) societies to agricultural societies

The invention of the microscope - Van Leovenhoek (I know its spelled wrong)

The Rise of Christianity

Martin Luther and the Reformation

The discovery of DNA

The discovery of music

I would have to agree that the industrial revolutin is probably the greatest event in human history. Gutenberg's printing press is important too especially for western Europe. The bad sad od the IR is the rapid development of weapons particularly firearms.

You say "earth history" not "human history". So my answer is the begginging of Earths existence 4.5 billion years ago. Without it, we couldn't be here. Okay, so that was a bit of a technicallity but it's still true. Also of worthy mention, the first existence of life on Earth and the mass extinction of the dinosaurs.

When I specified "Earth History" that was simply so it would be understood that I didn't intend to include Ferengi History or Klingon History.

I would define "history" as events that took place during Humankind's existance.

The Rise of Christianity
And the rise of Judaism and Islam, also. the world would be no better or no worse without Christians.

the inventions of the City, the Written Language, and the Code of Law would be my case for the most important events in history.

well the industrial age is always important, you know that some people lived from moving around in carrages drivin by horses, to seeing man land on the moon? then again WWII was important, but in a way so was WWI.. i do not believe the american civil war is that important, sorry but in the course of the world it just wasnt.. i wood have to say the discovery of fire by man!... or the creation of AC/DC lol jks.. but i just want to say how is the rise of christianity, more important than the rise of other religions.. afterall judisim was around before christianity and inspired the religion..

I consider a very significant event in history to be that battle of Actium. Had Marc Antony won then the supreme power in Europe would have been based in Egypt and modern culture would have been completely altered.

Another event would be Germany's invasion of Poland.

the invention of the Submarine, also. it's a great tool for exploring the ocean depths, and also one of the most effective...and devastating...weapons platforms in history.

(stoned_vulcan @ Mar 21 2004, 04:14 PM)

but i just want to say how is the rise of christianity, more important than the rise of other religions.. afterall judisim was around before christianity and inspired the religion..

The Christian faith is more of a proselyting faith than some of the older religions. Sending missionaries all over the world had effects on exploration, spreading culture, political affiliation and even war. The division in Viet Nam began with the alliegance to France because of the French missionaries that originally went there in the 1700s.

The Catholic church was a major political power that influenced politics in Western Europe for several centuries. Catholic and later other Christian missionaries also established schools in many parts of the world and education always has an influence on culture. South America - which is often overlooked in history discussions was very much influenced in its colonization by early Christian missionaries.

I am not saying this is either good or bad. I'm just saying it happened.

Edited by TheUnicornHunter

This was a really hard question, I guess one really important event might be the first time humans learned to create (and control) fire.. Electricity is another one.

I can't decide, have to give it some thought..

This was a really hard question, I guess one really important event might be the first time humans learned to create (and control) fire.. Electricity is another one.

I can't decide, have to give it some thought..

Well, man as always known of fire. A common theory is that they first used flint, which was a common material used in prehistoric axes. Also it was the Homo Erectus who had first mastered fire and not man :assimilated:

I think I have to agree with VBG on it being the Industrial Revolution. Like it or not, good or bad, it changed us forever.

Like the humorist Will Rogers said about Henry Ford, "Mr. Ford - it will take a hundred years to know if you've helped us or harmed us. But either way, you didn't leave us as you found us."

(Travel across the land bridge and the Big Bang are both historical theories, just to be nitpicky.)