Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Klingons and Romulans

I know this may sound silly but the Klingons and the Romulans never really seemed a threat in the real sense, to me. Now call me young, or call me naive, but they have never seemed 'evil' in the sense of the Sona, Dominion or Borg. Maybe it's because TOS was something I got into in the wake of TNG, but have you ever felt that the Romulans and the Klingons were a real threat?

I know that in the movies we had Krudge and co. But through TNG and DS9, these adversaries have become diluted. Even the 'villans' of TOS, Kang Kor and Koloth have been reduced to 'honourable' old men by DS9. We have come to the point whereby Picard is 'buying a drink' for a Romulan officer in Nemesis. The Romulans in Nemesis look like unsure idiots. Letting their Empire fall into the hands of a human clone from a mine shaft. I mean .... tsk tsk. Silly billies! The Borg have force (dispite Voyager's (I'm trying to say a bad word but can't)y dillution) and even the Sona in the form of Ruafu had a determination that made them true villans. But the Romulans have become'play pals' that make them no longer a threat.

Or was this the intention........???

I think one reason (During TOS) they don't really seem imposing (now) is because of the budgets they were dealing with back then. It was actually their intention to make the Romulans the main mad guys but they couldn't afford all the pointed ears back then.

Had there never been a treaty between the Federation and the Klingons then Kor, Koloth and Kang would still be considered evil. Just like "Kahless the Unforgettable" from TOS became "Kahless the Emperor" in TNG. Next to the bad guys of the movies and DS9 though they do kind of pale.

Come to think of it diluting the Enemys is an important part of what Trek is about, showing that with time and effort enemies can become Allies. I know, dullsville but I think that expresses the intention.

Come to think of it diluting the Enemys is an important part of what Trek is about, showing that with time and effort enemies can become Allies. I know, dullsville but I think that expresses the intention.

I agree, and with a bigger ennemy (the dominion), it was even more real than they had to fight together to beat them.

Because we got other ennemies in the series... I think it's just a rotation, old enemies become allies, old allies enemies, and with new allies and enemies along the way...

Seing all the same bad guys would be dull too in the long run...

couldnt have put it better myself! thats exactly right Alterego....its the sci-fi addition to the current world conflict...

Well do you think that in a new series it would be interesting if old allies became enemies? A Vulcan/Federation war perhaps?

In which time frame?

Actually (pulls out soapbox) I have read a few TOS novels in which dissent was running high among the Vulcan People, they were calling for the Vulcan's to pull out of the alliance with Humans, (they were tired of human emotions affecting them) but it never came to "war".

Well do you think that in a new series it would be interesting if old allies became enemies? A Vulcan/Federation war perhaps?

I don't think there is ever a time in the past of Star Trek where the Vulcans and Humans were at war so unless it is a "future" war I don't think it'd be a good idea.

You find the Son'a to be evil? The Son'a are just a small collection of misguided Ba'ku. If the Son'a are to be truely evil, wouldn't one have to consider the Ba'ku to be truly evil. I say this just for arguments sake. As for the Borg and Dominion, they do seem quite evil. But I find that if I think of the borg as a hive of bee's the don't seem as evil but rather, a species trying to survive. The Founders are very evil in my opinion, but the Jem'hadar and the Vorta seem less evil to me, as they are slaves that are forced to do evil things by their genetic masters: the Founders.

You find the Son'a to be evil?  The Son'a are just a small collection of misguided Ba'ku.  If the Son'a are to be truely evil, wouldn't one have to consider the Ba'ku to be truly evil.  I say this just for arguments sake.  As for the Borg and Dominion, they do seem quite evil.  But I find that if I think of the borg as a hive of bee's the don't seem as evil but rather, a species trying to survive.  The Founders are very evil in my opinion, but the Jem'hadar and the Vorta seem less evil to me, as they are slaves that are forced to do evil things by their genetic masters: the Founders.

Erm, yeah. I think....

You find the Son'a to be evil?  The Son'a are just a small collection of misguided Ba'ku.  If the Son'a are to be truely evil, wouldn't one have to consider the Ba'ku to be truly evil.  I say this just for arguments sake.  As for the Borg and Dominion, they do seem quite evil.  But I find that if I think of the borg as a hive of bee's the don't seem as evil but rather, a species trying to survive.  The Founders are very evil in my opinion, but the Jem'hadar and the Vorta seem less evil to me, as they are slaves that are forced to do evil things by their genetic masters: the Founders.

Erm, yeah. I think....

Think of it this way, did we consider the Nazi's evil or did we consider all of humanity evil? A segment of a population can be evil without making the entire race evil. THat's how I look at it anyway.