Sign in to follow this  

A majority of television viewers (57%) say TV is more offensive than ever, and 71% have switched channels because they were offended by something. But only 8% have bothered to call a network to complain, according to a poll in TV Guide's Aug. 2 issue. The poll of 1,015 adults finds viewers are more offended by graphic violence and gore (17%) than "bodily fuctions (9%), foul language (8%), or nudity or sexual inuendo (6%); 48% were offended by "all of the above."

~USA TODAY, Life Section, 7/29/03

So, what do you think? Is television more offensive? Are people too easily offended?

It doesn't bother me,but then again I'm a pretty open-minded liberal that believes in freedom of speech and expression.DJ.gif

Edited by Klingonmike

From what I have seen on TV lately there are some really offinsive things on when young kids are watching. I have seen things on some channels that just make me mad. But what can I say it's not the 80's early 90's anymore everything that was once offincive are now accepted and I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

I think TV is really based on the opinion and values of the people where is its broadcast base.

I mean, put a naked woman on screen, or 2 people making love here, and no problem.

However, violence is not really as tolerated...

I think it's education, and knowing what is your value and your point of view, and base your viewing on this, and just to shut the tv when you aren't interested or offended :assimilated:

I think TV is really based on the opinion and values of the people where is its broadcast base.

I mean, put a naked woman on screen, or 2 people making love here, and no problem.

However, violence is not really as tolerated...

I think it's education, and knowing what is your value and your point of view, and base your viewing on this, and just to shut the tv when you aren't interested or offended :frusty:

Stardate:213655.9

I dont get offended by stuff on tv.Course im 17 so we dont get offended by anything right?It tickes me off when people complain about stuff on tv.I say u dont like thats what the little switch on the tv or remote that says "Off" is for. :assimilated:

While I Agree Some Things May Not Be Suitable For Some Youngus.....I'm Not Really Offened By Anything On TV....Just Annoy By The Stupidity Of Alot Of It. lol

Commercials For Example.

"Was Loosing My Hair And It Was Ruining My Life!! Now I Got This New Miracle Hair Grower. I Got My Hair Back And My Life Back Together."

Oh Shut The Hell Up, Ya Shallow Jack@$$!

You left out the show "Firefly" I really liked that show and they cancelled it with out showing all the episodes! There were 3 episodes left and Fox didn't show them. I was so pissed. I heard they are going to be showing the entire series in the UK, but that doesn't do me any good here.

I guess I'm different in the fact that I AM offended by some of the things on television now. Besides the "off" button and the station changer, I also have my VCR and DVD players.

I don't know that "offended" is the correct word. Disgusted, amazed and nauseated come to mind. As well as concerned. The truth is television viewing does affect young viewers and I am seriously concerned what we're doing to young peoples lives.

For example, the Island Nation of Fiji began experiencing an epidemic of eating disorders among young women after it began showing American television programming.

The disgusted part comes in where writers and producers have lost the concepts of art and talent. Rather than stretch the brain to come up with some genuine humor they substitute some sexual innuendo for shock value or to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I am thinking of a scene from a popular sitcom (I don't watch) which I saw flipping channels. I thought I'd heard of this show - I'll check it out. The character said something tasteless which was followed by canned laughter. I felt sorry for the actor who had to sit through this scene. It was just stupid, no secretary would ever say that to her boss in the real world and that's where humor lies to me - in the realness.

In truth television presents a totally warped, unrealistic view of the lives that most people live and can create unrealistic expectations. I've had more than one person quote television as their source for relationship advice. That's just plain scary.

Since I am on a roll here....my biggest by far criticism of television is how it presents religious people. They're always some semi-psychotic zealot. You would never guess by watching television that a great many Americans go to church every Sunday, work normal jobs, live responsible lives and worry about the economy, their children, crime etc just like everyone else. Most religious people don't harass co-workers, walk up and down the streets shouting like a deranged lunatic or believe God is going to smite anyone that disagrees with them. The only lunatic thing they do is support programming that gives them a bad rap.

Okay pack-up soap box now. Thank goodness for books.

i must say i dont get offended by anything, but i also must say i think that they show wayyyyyyy tooooo much crap geared towards youngins, and they should be castrated for such things, so where as im not offended i think they need to watch what they show in primetime for kids.

TV does have a lot of offensive stuff on it, but adults can choose what to watch and what not to and parents should be paying attention to what their children watch. If TV is having a bad effect on your kids I think you should re-evaluate your parenting techniques. It's our job as parents to not only watch what our children take in but to teach them and guide them so they can make educated decisions on what to watch as they get older.

TV does have a lot of offensive stuff on it, but adults can choose what to watch and what not to and parents should be paying attention to what their children watch. If TV is having a bad effect on your kids I think you should re-evaluate your parenting techniques. It's our job as parents to not only watch what our children take in but to teach them and guide them so they can make educated decisions on what to watch as they get older.

i agree totally. :laugh: but unfortunately most parents turn on the tv, and use it as a babysitter, letting the kid watch what they want. tv is entertainment, not a replacement for parents.

I am very thankful that I have cable and can switch to channel's were I can watch whatever I choose. I find TV no different that movies these days. I think movies and television shows are developed because of producers and directors tune into certain "polls," and reviews, and box office figures. Also some folks really go for the graphic sex, violence.and strong language.........which you used to only be able to get at the movies.......now it's all over the TV set. I do have concerns when it come to children about certain shows. Even the cartoons depict a lot of images and behaviors that parents should really monitor.......And so do many comercials these days. As an adult, yes I've seen what I consider some rather disgusting images on TV. But I can always switch channels, or even cut the TV off....................Children are facinated, and curious about images and words they don't see every day, or want to hear and know more about. It's really left up to parents to monitor TV for kids........But I tell you, it can be rather difficult, since TV's are on a lot in some homes, and parents aren't always around. :laugh:

I only turn the TV on when it's time for my fave shows or movies so I don't get offended that often. I do remember one time when Scifi did a mini-series of Children of Dune and they REALLY sexed it up. I was so ticked! I've read the books and there is not even half as much sex in them as there was in the mini-series. I hate it when that happens cause it's a good seires but they messed it up.

Edited by Lubak10

Doesn't bother me what the content is that's being shown on T.V,don't forget if you don't like it or are offended by the content,then what the hell did you switch the programe on for? :lol:

Well, the thing is, it'll be a great program, but then they pull something like this...

ENTERPRISE - "Shockwave, Part II"

Ensign Hoshi Sato is crawling between decks, attempting to reach Lt. Reed's quarters to free him so he can help Archer return from a devestated future. While climing down from the crawl space to the regular deck, her shirt catches, and she slips out. Reed's door opens and Hoshi is shirtless with her arms crossed over her breasts. If they had just shown her back, it would'a been a funny/embarrassing scene. However, they decided to show us her front side, which was too close to nudity in my opinion. This is what people mean by "offensive TV" in my opinion.

Well, the thing is, it'll be a great program, but then they pull something like this...

ENTERPRISE - "Shockwave, Part II"

Ensign Hoshi Sato is crawling between decks, attempting to reach Lt. Reed's quarters to free him so he can help Archer return from a devestated future.  While climing down from the crawl space to the regular deck, her shirt catches, and she slips out.  Reed's door opens and Hoshi is shirtless with her arms crossed over her breasts.  If they had just shown her back, it would'a been a funny/embarrassing scene.  However, they decided to show us her front side, which was too close to nudity in my opinion.  This is what people mean by "offensive TV" in my opinion.

I don't think I'd go with that example, I just rewatched it and they don't even show any part of her breasts. She is completely covered (more so then a lot of evening gowns cover in fact). I think a better example would be NYPD Blue where actual nudity is shown.

I've been offended ever since PeeWee's Playhouse got cancelled....

Pee Wee Herman was never proven guilty of anything(pleading no contest is Not an admission of guilt,necessarily),and the network blasts a wholesome family show off the air!

Where's the justice in that? ^_^ What about innocent until proven guilty? ^_^

So,Paul enjoys a skin flick now and again.... ^_^

It had nothing to do with PeeWee's Playhouse! :lol:

Bring back PeeWee! :hug:

I was about halfway through this thread when the irony hit me: Here are all these people complaining about the quality of tv, on a message board, in a website dedicated to a tv show.

As for me, the most offensive thing on tv is the stupidity. ESPECIALLY the commercials.

I was about halfway through this thread when the irony hit me: Here are all these people complaining about the quality of tv, on a message board, in a website dedicated to a tv show.

As for me, the most offensive thing on tv is the stupidity. ESPECIALLY the commercials.

I haven't really been offended by much on TV, the only time I might be "offended" would be if I had a young child in the room and something "improper" was happening on the TV and I wasn't at least warned that it would be in the show or movie.

That happened back in about 1991, I was watching a movie on PBS with my 10 year old niece, all of the sudden there's fully naked men walking around. Full nudity, full frontal "out there for all the world to see". Did the nudity offend me? No, I've seen it all before but the fact that my 10 year old niece was there (wide eyed I might add) did offend me and I did call the PBS station and let them know I was offended by it (not that it did any good). Had I at least known that that was going to be in the movie I would have changed the channel for a few minutes or found something else for us to watch.

I am offended the most when news stations use those hooks to get you to tune in, you know these...

"We have information that can save your life, tonight on Nightcast at 11:oo"

I don't find television offensive as long as it is good quality. Offensive is probably the wrong word, but if I had to state one thing that offends me then it would have to be brain-dead soaps and reality television as it insults the intelligence.

I agree about Reality T.V,I hate it :clap: Why do they always put rubbish on like that? give them their own channel and stop spoiling other good programes. :dude: