Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

The Borg

Is the Borg Wal-Mart? Are Wal-Mart stores big Borg Cubes made up of the sums of small towns? Are small communities being assimilated? If you work in Wal-Mart are you a drone? Tertiary adjunct of Food Isle 7, Section 4 Canned Meats???

I sometimes think that the Borg are an allegory of the modern age. Look at City Centres around 8.30am! Drones everywhere, beavering about, swarming to their sections, etc.

I find it interesting that people always slam WalMart - if you work for one of those mom and pop's everyone says they are putting out of business - you get minimum wage and no benefits; that's no insurance or 401k and you're lucky if you get any paid holidays. WalMart on the other hand gets slammed for not paying enough insurance; and you get stock. So WalMart doesn't pay professional wages - neither does McDonalds or a myriad of other "entry level" jobs including those mom and pops.

And with the price of gas spiraling ever upwards - WalMart may be the only way some people can still afford to eat.

There are always people who refuse to shop at WalMart - as long as resistance isn't futile I guess the Borg analogy doesn't apply.

That's what I saw!! I walked into a wal-mart by my house and saw what looked like assimilation tubes sticking out of a managers hand. But then, that was after watching the Best of Both worlds.

Yes. Wal-Mart is the Borg. Excellent observation.

And the people who work there are definitely drones. If you don't believe it, then visit a Wal-mart during the overnight hours.

:borgqueen:

I happen to like WalMart.

I don't mind going there and they usually have everything that I need to make my shopping trip a "one-stop" affair.

I happen to like WalMart.

I don't mind going there and they usually have everything that I need to make my shopping trip a "one-stop" affair.

Yes but would you like working there? Its the 'everything you need' element that makes it an amalgataion of all the little shops.

For some reason, just about every time I've gone to a WalMart, they do NOT have what I need. I usually go to KMart which almost always has just what I'm looking for.

In the UK its ASDA (which is part of the WALLMART 'Family' now) and TESCO that dominate the supermarkets. Marks and Spencer have a food court which is where all the posh folk shop - hand crafted croutons made from the finest Italian Bistro Deluxe Parmesan and Stone baked Crusty Granary Wheat Free Bread, etc sorta thing...