Sign in to follow this  
Theunicornhunter

No "fatties" need apply -

The country's health care system cannot afford to open its doors to overweight immigrants, a spokesman for New Zealand's Fight the Obesity Epidemic explained to the Daily Mail.

Sounds reasonable.

The alternative could be to allow overweight people into the nation, but make it very clear than the Kiwi NHS would not offer any treatments based on weight-related ailments and conditions.

Instead of not letting in people who may not be the government's idea of ideal weight how about a making it illegal for dopesuckers to emigrate? People with weight issues don't commit crimes to buy food. Have you ever wondered why no government has estimated the cost of healthcare required by addicts and harped on the figures as much as they do about weight? What about the other costs associated with dopesuckers? police, courts, jails, insurance loss, thefts from stores, killings? I think if you total up the costs dopesuckers cost more and are more of a drain on society.

I agree this is unwarranted discrimination - first of all not all overweight people develop diabetes; not all thin people will stay thin. And what about prohibiting smokers from entering the country (lot of tax dollars go to tobacco related illness) or uh hum - people who are sexually active (AIDS, unwanted pregnancy, other STDS are a drain on the health care system)

If the goal is really to protect the drain on the health care system then they should prohibit all potential drains not just the ones the PC police don't care about.

new zealand should just outlaw everything from tv to sex while they can. i mean you just can make people lose weight just to get into the country. just as to you can't make some people quit smoking or stop drinking.

That's crazy. I know plenty of overweight people with no health problems and plenty of skinny ones with lots of issues. If that's the thinking then they need to outlaw smokers, drinkers, drug addicts, people who ride motorcylces without helmets, jaywalkers, workaholics (stress), coal miners(lung diseases), farmers(exposure to chemical herbicides and pesticides), etc. Sheesh!

I think New Zealand would be entirely justified banning smokers, heavy drinkers, people with illnesses such as STD's from entering the nation as citizens who would use the national health service. If you are serious about becoming a New Zealand citizen, then stop smoking first.

I agree that there are more serious conditions that justify banning people more than being over weight

I think a country should be able to decide who it wants to admit or not admit via it's democratic process, so long as they don't persecute the people who are already there.