Sign in to follow this  
Gummy

Was Trelane a "Q"?

There was an interesting question posed on another board.

Was Trelane a "Q"? Judging by the powers that he displayed, I think it's a distinct possibility.

What do you think?

Theres a thread on this board dealing with this too. I don't think that Trelane was a Q. Here's why:

1) All Q are named.....Q

2) Trelane needed some machinery to use his powers. Even if one argued that he was still a child and not developed yet, TNG's Q's son needed no such machinery.

But just to be sure, I'll be seeing William Campbell at the Trek con in a few months and I'll ask him.... :mad1:

Maybe he was some king of retarded or handicapped Q and needed some technology to be close to equal to the others.

Only those Q who reside in the continum are named Q. There was one on a TNG episode who was a Q but didn't know it because she was born outside the continum. Maybe Trelane was banished from the continum because of his handicap and never took the Q name.

Hmmm....a retarded Q? .....Interesting concept that could only have been hatched from the mind of Van Roy...... :mad1:

I think Trelane might have been a very distant cousin of the "Q"'s but still was with somewhat Q Powers but with the extra aid of machinery certainly the parents of Trelane were only seen as round light beings.

I have to admit if I was a Q or Trelane I wouldn't go prancing around like Liberace.

Why not? Who's going to dare say something about it???... :mad1:

I have to admit if I was a Q or Trelane I wouldn't go prancing around like Liberace.

Well. for one thing, I would have to give back my collection of Japanese girl's underwear.

By the way, in case anyone thinks I am kidding about Trelane looking like the gay piano player:

trelane1.jpg

liberace.jpg

Well. for one thing, I would have to give back my collection of Japanese girl's underwear.

By the way, in case anyone thinks I am kidding about Trelane looking like the gay piano player:

trelane1.jpg

liberace.jpg

Maybe Trelane was modeled after Liberace? I see a resemblance.

Well. the actor's next Star Trek appearance was considerably more masculine:

180px-STDS9Ep219.jpg

And William Campbell has made convention appearances and was very nice, according to those covering them.

William Campbell is an amazing person. I met him once back in 1972 and he treated me like a close friend rather than just another Trekkie. He's going to be at this year's Shore Leave convention which I plan on attending. I'm going to ask him to sign the pic I have of him and myself from those many years ago.

Was Trelane a "Q"? Judging by the powers that he displayed, I think it's a distinct possibility.

What do you think?

He's not a Q, but that particular character may have been the model Roddenberry used when creating Q for The Next Generation.

What do you think?

He's not a Q, but that particular character may have been the model Roddenberry used when creating Q for The Next Generation.

Quite possible. It does make sense, since a lot of TNG's episode ideas came from the TOS episodes.

They did quite a bit of recycling when it came to story ideas.

Trelane needed a machine to focus his powers. And he had parents. The Q child in Voayger needed no such machine, and his parents had already stated that there had been no new Q born for thousands of years.

So, no, Trelane was not a Q in any way, shape, or form.

Q said there hadn't been a Q born IN THE CONTINUM for thousands of years. We do know, however, that at least 1 member of the Q race was born OUTSIDE the continum.

Yes, but even then the cases are very different. Her parents left the continuum and lived as humans. They concieved her as humans. She was born as a human. She grew up thinking she was human. She didn't even have any powers at first. And when they did manifest, she didn't need any form of technology to use them.

Also, her parents tried to live secretly, yet the continuum still found and killed them. Trelane's parents, on the other hand, did not. It's not very discreet to allow Trelane to go around creating new planets.

Trelane needed a machine to focus his powers. And he had parents. The Q child in Voayger needed no such machine, and his parents had already stated that there had been no new Q born for thousands of years.

So, no, Trelane was not a Q in any way, shape, or form.

Well, I don't believe he's a Q but you also have to take into account that we don't know when Trelane was born or how fast/slow a Q ages. Also, his parents would have had the ability to limit or restirict his abilities just like Q did with his son in Voyager.

Was he a Q? Probably not. But maybe he was.

no, he didn't use the funny hand gesture before teleporting, and the teleportation sound effect was different, along with the previosly mentioned reasons

I think Trelane, was not a q continuum,But T-a tricktster/prankster! :vbg:

If one reads the TNG novel by Peter David-the title escapes me at the moment-he purports there that our fave entity from the Continuum has been assigned to look after Trelayne,to mentor him(I take it here that he is a Q, likely-in the novel) It's an interesting premise, and as a fan-writer I'd have no problem going with it...though as I think others point out, or may have, the Q don't by all evidence during the 3 latter series require physical tech to accomplish their ends. Anyway, I say have fun with the concept. They're both great characters. Esentially,officially, a Q, possibly not.

Maybe he was some king of retarded or handicapped Q and needed some technology to be close to equal to the others.

Only those Q who reside in the continum are named Q. There was one on a TNG episode who was a Q but didn't know it because she was born outside the continum. Maybe Trelane was banished from the continum because of his handicap and never took the Q name.

I remember that...she was the pretty blonde girl who had a crush on Riker and Q was grossed out because she liked a man with facial hair.

The ep was ''True Q'' as I recall. Amanda was her name-and Q was a smidge darker in this one, than oftentimes. Trelayne did share a rebellious streak with Q, though his was born of immaturity.

If one reads the TNG novel by Peter David-the title escapes me at the moment-he purports there that our fave entity from the Continuum has been assigned to look after Trelayne,to mentor him(I take it here that he is a Q, likely-in the novel) It's an interesting premise, and as a fan-writer I'd have no problem going with it...though as I think others point out, or may have, the Q don't by all evidence during the 3 latter series require physical tech to accomplish their ends. Anyway, I say have fun with the concept. They're both great characters. Esentially,officially, a Q, possibly not.

Good points. I can tell you know a lot about the Q backstory. :cheers:

Here's an oldie but a goodie from 2003 when I also brought up this subject. My belief that Trelane was possibly an Organian rather than a Q. I've pasted it below.

On another thread here, it's been speculated that Trelane may have been Q, but was he really? What about the Organians? They seemed to be just as powerful as any Q but didn't have that meddling trait that the Federation found so annoying. In fact, it seemed that they just wanted to be left alone. Having an interstellar war between the Federation and the Klingons starting on their home planet just didn't suit them so what did they do? They force fed a peace treaty to both parties under threat of having all their ships just sit in space with the controls and weapons too hot to touch. The Organians may be related to the Q perhaps and decided that it was best if they just stay out of everybody's way, hence their peaceful, non-beligerant demeanor. Seeing the two so-called parent figures floating as blobs of light seem to be more like the Organians then the Q's. I think that Trelane was more like, if not completely, Organian in nature. In other series episodes we've seen a number of god-like creatures all possessing some sort of Q type power but this does not mean that they are Q. The aliens in Charlie X also fall under this catagory. Considering that Trelane never traveled to Earth suggests that he himself was not Q and did have some limitations or didn't know how to use his power properly and was limited to the area of space where Kirk and crew found him. Was Trelane Q? I don't think so based on the evidence presented in the episode. Was he possibly an immature Organian? Possibly but more info is needed first before assigning him to be any particular species.