Sign in to follow this  
Gotabite

Major Power outages

Going to try to get up with CNN or some network in a few minutes......I understand there are some major power outages happening at this time all across the US and Canada as I write this.........is this another form of a terrorist attack? B)

B) I was watching coverage of Bush arriving in San Diego and there was a split second blackout of the coverage (at the station, not my home.) The news anchor said it was a result of of "too many air conditioners being on at the same time" but now I doubt that was the reason.

B) I was watching coverage of Bush arriving in San Diego and there was a split second blackout of the coverage (at the station, not my home.) The news anchor said it was a result of of "too many air conditioners being on at the same time" but now I doubt that was the reason.

CNBC and CNN are both saying that this is an old fashioned "Blackout." I certainly hope so. But oh how I feel for the people who are trapped in elevator and subways............Also if this is a blackout, once more it does point to how easy we can be rendered helpless, with the level of dependency we have on tecnology........it's really scary. :( .......

Well, I've got to get on my way home for the day..................

Yeah, New York is out pretty much right now. Took down our servers there. It has just not been a fun week to be a techie.

Yeah, New York is out pretty much right now.  Took down our servers there.  It has just not been a fun week to be a techie.

Could this be due the Blaster?

I doubt it. I'm watching the national news right now and they're saying it's a power outage affecting Con Ed customers. Something about a power station in Niagra being overloaded and causing a cascade effect. But you never know!

Yeah, New York is out pretty much right now.  Took down our servers there.  It has just not been a fun week to be a techie.

I am not sure, but it is possible if the computers that are running the Electrical companies have become infected it could very well be. If I hear anything new I will pass on the information.

Right now I am just enjoying the 30 minutes between calls.

I remember when I was a kid there was a major power outage in NYC, nine months later they had a special segment on the news about the overcrowded delivery rooms and linked it to the blackout. B) .

I was in a blackout out West several years ago. I never really knew what happened but parts of three states went down and it was linked to one station.

We tend to have brownouts here when too many people are drawing power at the same time - which is easy to do in the heat and humidity.

I of course blame deregulation as it seems most of the areas that are suffering from the power outages are in markets that have deregulated. As far as I have heard southern Ontario and southern Quebec are the only areas that have had power outages in Canada.

I'm in Manitoba and it's hotter than hell today (for me - it's 35C - 95F here) but I can't ever remember having a power outage like what is being experienced elsewhere for as long as I have lived here and our market is not deregulated.

Skynet?  Arnold?  Obviously I'm out of the loop on this one?

LOL Skynet is the computer brain that trys to destroy humanity in the Terminator films. Arnold is of course the Terminator.

I heard the news, too (they really come fast here to Germany :( ). I saw all the people getting out of their cars in NYC because they were in traffic jam... I first thought about new terroristic activity and hoped: OH NO PLEASE NOT B)

Mrs. Captain Picard

Skynet?  Arnold?  Obviously I'm out of the loop on this one?

LOL Skynet is the computer brain that trys to destroy humanity in the Terminator films. Arnold is of course the Terminator.

I guess I should go bury my head somewhere rather than admit I've never seen a terminator movie. I saw a few minutes of one - but I don't remember anyone talking - mostly just blowing things up.

Stardate:213619.7

I just saw on CNN pictures of the traffic in NYC.There are actually people running on the highways!!!OMG im glad im hear on the West Coast and not in NYC.Apparently the whole thing was cause by a overload?How long did it last??

There have been no problems with the power here in California's central valley.At least,none that I've noticed at all today.I have been watching MSNBC,though,and heard that the east coast is in a bad way.Hope your power problems get straightened out soon.

I was right in the middle of the blackout when it happened - as I imagine ~25% of

everyone on this board were. It frightened a lot of people by its magnitude. I found it interesting (in a perverse sort of way) as it was another testament to

human arrogance. No major damage was done (though some injuries and I

believe one very sad death), but nobody understands it yet and Canada and

the U.S. are blaming each other. Why do humans always want to blame somebody?

The time when I heard about this, I had the inate feeling that it wasnt due to terrorist activity. I just think it was too spur of the moment and disorganized to be something that a terrorist could think of. I am just glad that people are safe and the power is coming on slowly, but I heard that it would take days?!?! New York is already crazy as it is and doesnt need this. Number One City on my list not to visit.

B) (Ok, maybe I am just being paranoid.)

The time when I heard about this, I had the inate feeling that it wasnt due to terrorist activity. I just think it was too spur of the moment and disorganized to be something that a terrorist could think of. I am just glad that people are safe and the power is coming on slowly, but I heard that it would take days?!?! New York is already crazy as it is and doesnt need this. Number One City on my list not to visit.

B) (Ok, maybe I am just being paranoid.)

H-m-m-m-m! I think New york's pretty "cool" to visit.....lots of entertainment....lots of historical sights to see....lots of interesting places to go..............I too am glad that power is being restored to the city. :(

i went to NORFOLK, just in time to miss the power outage. funny thing is though, my wife said our power never went out. but it went out all around us in binghamton, and broome county. i really dont understand that one. but im not complaining, i didnt have to reset any clocks.