Sign in to follow this  
prometheus

Locutus of Borg

Had Patrick Stewart grown tired of the franchise, wiould Locutus of Borg been a great on going villan in theseries? Making part of the Enterprise D's mission not only to explore, but to try and get Picard back?

This would have worked for some episodes, I think, but not until the end of TNG. The mission would not be "explore strange new worlds.... (and so on)", it would be "rescue Captain Picard so that he cannot destroy/assimilate human or other cultures"...

But Locutus WAS in interesting villain, coming from inside the Enterprise, knowing what Jean-Luc knew... But as he was assimilated the Borg were able to know everything he knew (including tactial things, personal things, Starfleet internal things). So they don't need him anymore.

Mrs. Captain Picard

This would have worked for some episodes, I think, but not until the end of TNG. The mission would not be "explore strange new worlds.... (and so on)", it would be "rescue Captain Picard so that he cannot destroy/assimilate human or other cultures"...

But Locutus WAS in interesting villain, coming from inside the Enterprise, knowing what Jean-Luc knew... But as he was assimilated the Borg were able to know everything he knew (including tactial things, personal things, Starfleet internal things). So they don't need him anymore.

Mrs. Captain Picard

The question is though, if this had happened would you be Mrs. Locutus, Mrs. Of Borg or still Mrs. Picard?

:laugh:

Mrs. Captain Picard

The question is though, if this had happened would you be Mrs. Locutus, Mrs. Of Borg or still Mrs. Picard?

:laugh:

Then I would have chosen the name "Queen of Locutus", I think :laugh:

And when they get Jean-Luc back I would have picked up my old name "Mrs.Picard" again :laugh:

So that's no problem :)

Mrs. Captain Picard

All I know is,is that I was a little disappointed at the end of Best of Both Worlds.I had heard from a friend that Patrick Stewart wanted out of TNG,and that Riker was going to take over the center seat with Shelby as exec(I couldn't stand Shelby!).Supposedly,Picard's humanity was going to resurface just long enough at the end to issue a command to the Borg to fly themselves into the sun,thus sacraficing himself in a last heroic gesture to save Earth and the Federation.He would have a heroes burial(without a body of course),and Riker would be awarded permanent command.I wanted to see this happen....but it didn't.And to be honest,Picard was always an excellent commanding officer.So,I got over my disappointment soon enough(seeing Shelby leave the Enterprise-D helped!).

All I know is,is that I was a little disappointed at the end of Best of Both Worlds.I had heard from a friend that Patrick Stewart wanted out of TNG,and that Riker was going to take over the center seat with Shelby as exec(I couldn't stand Shelby!).Supposedly,Picard's humanity was going to resurface just long enough at the end to issue a command to the Borg to fly themselves into the sun,thus sacraficing himself in a last heroic gesture to save Earth and the Federation.He would have a heroes burial(without a body of course),and Riker would be awarded permanent command.I wanted to see this happen....but it didn't.And to be honest,Picard was always an excellent commanding officer.So,I got over my disappointment soon enough(seeing Shelby leave the Enterprise-D helped!).

:laugh: Wow. As good as that could have possibly been..I would have rather have seen Picrad permernatly become Borg and for the crew every other Ep to try and get him back before StarFleet told them to give it a rest..therefore giving them the oppurtunity to have a huge build up to Riker defying orders over a series of Eps and getting Picard back...only then to deal with a Borg-inated Picard that over time would have reformed into Baldy.but that's a drawn out story which is probably why it did'nt go down :laugh:

Shelby was getting on my nerves too...

But, I don't know if I could have like Riker as captain after having Picard there.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Riker. But maybe then we could have seen more level of Riker. For me, Picard was a much more complex and well round character.

No.I didn't much care for Locutus and never really understood why the Borg needed a front man...

sure the tactical knowledge in Picard's head was great,but they didn't necessarily need him to communicate for them....

:clap: :borg: :lol: :borgqueen: :wow:

Jean-Luc Picard is the superior character and I'm glad he never left the show...

I don't think Frakes could have carried it off as well,being captain...

just my opinion,though :dude:

Since Patrick Stewart wanted out, the contingency plan was to have Picard remain as Locutus and become a recurring villian, similar to the Borg Queen on VOY, only we'd see him a bit more often. They probably would have had "Picard" recovered in the series finale, but the question remains, would Locutus be imprinted onto Picard by this point, and would this set the stage for a movie? Fortunately, they got Patrick Stewart back at the last minute, thus the crew saved Picard!

ha, doesnt that always happen? i think we need more main character deaths (soz about the morbidity).

Like in Voyager, you would have thought that something would've happened to at least one main character. And wasnt there more (is it yellow shirt?) deaths than the entire crew of VOY?

ha, doesnt that always happen? i think we need more main character deaths (soz about the morbidity).

Like in Voyager, you would have thought that something would've happened to at least one main character.  And wasnt there more (is it yellow shirt?) deaths than the entire crew of VOY?

It was "Red Shirt". :dude:

:clap:

I thought Capt Picard was great as a borg :clap: but I'm glad they snatched him back :dude: things wouldn't be the same without Capt Picard.

I thought Capt Picard was great as a borg  :clap: but I'm glad they snatched him back  :lol: things wouldn't be the same without Capt Picard.

I have to agree :bow:

I don't think Riker would have been THE man as captain against Locutus...

I mean... he is very similar to Kirk sometimes (no offense to Mr. William T. Riker, he is an excellent officer) so we would have had TOS Part II and not TNG :wow::dude:

Mrs. Captain Picard

Well I'm glad with the way the show ended up, however, those other ideas would have been interesting. We did get to see Picard try on the Locutus act again when Hue came aboard at least

I would have preferred losing a main character,to have kept that cute betazoid conn officer around...what was her name?Stadi? :tear:

If I did live in the Trek/TNG universe I think I just might relocate to Betazed...

Grrrrr....

:(

Edited by admiralpeewee

Like in Voyager, you would have thought that something would've happened to at least one main character.  And wasnt there more (is it yellow shirt?) deaths than the entire crew of VOY?

It was "Red Shirt". :tear:

:lol:

Actuall, durring the TNG/DS9/VOY era, it's the gold/yellow shirts who die, not the red shirts. :(

It was "Red Shirt". :tear:

:bow:

Actuall, durring the TNG/DS9/VOY era, it's the gold/yellow shirts who die, not the red shirts. :(

Because in Tos the red shirts was the ensigns (I think). Now the ensigns shirts are gold/yellow, but the term "red shirt" is still there. :lol:

:lol:

An interesting character,no doubt.But a character far short of Jean-Luc Picard's on-screen presence.Perhaps Patrick Stewart could have further refined locutus,and made him a great recuring villain for TNG.Who can say?I am happy that Stewart,who did indeed have misgivings about remaining a part of TNG,chose to remain on board.I do not believe I would have been as satisfied with an Enterprise commanded by Riker,as I was with the Enterprise firmly under Picard's worthy leadership and direction.Also,I loathed Shelby.So,I am quite happy that things remained more or less as they had been,after Best of Both Worlds concluded.

Actually, durring "The Best of Both Worlds, Part II", Picard fought past Locutus just long enough to grab Data's hand, and then later again to say, "Sleep, Data."

My question is this: What happened to Locutus when the cube exploded? Was Locutus projected onto Picard from the collective, or was he a personallity implanted into Picard? If the later, did Locutus just get "deleted" or what?

Good question, CJLP... :blink:

I thought about that, too.

And I think Locutus was still there after the cube exploded. In "First Contact" Jean-Luc tells the borg queen that he heard her. And he knows that the Borg are there before the admiral on the little screen tells him about it. And his dream about still being Locutus... So I think Locutus never got completely deleted out of his head and is still a part of him, like he is still a part of the collective, seen in "I, Borg" when Hugh recognizes Jean-Luc and asks: "Locutus, why are you here?"...

So I think at the time the cube exploded in BOBW Locutus was still in Jean-Luc's head but Jean-Luc's mind took the chance to get through because Locutus was weakened by the distruction of the borg cube.

Mrs. Captain Picard